Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

45 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

And it’s not doing anything to a lot of people.  I hope they figure out the genetics of this thing so they can identify those most at risk.  

Doesn’t matter if you I.D. those at most risk if you aren’t doing anything real to mitigate the spread. 

40 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Doesn’t matter if you I.D. those at most risk if you aren’t doing anything real to mitigate the spread. 

Sure as hell does.  If they tell me I have the gene that will cause a serious outcome, I can take measures to protect myself.  If they tell me I am superman, I can take different measures.  

28 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Sure as hell does.  If they tell me I have the gene that will cause a serious outcome, I can take measures to protect myself.  If they tell me I am superman, I can take different measures.  

To stop this we need everybody to take measures as if they are at risk. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Problem is that'd require people caring how their actions impact others, as opposed to what's most convenient for themselves.

9 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Problem is that'd require people caring how their actions impact others, as opposed to what's most convenient for themselves.

Exactly. 

My wife and I had to come up to Chicago to help my in-laws move.  Since they are both high risk this is what we did to reduce the chance of spreading it 

Kept our daughter home from daycare for a week(this was tough)

Wore masks whenever we left the house(do this anyway)

Skipped two 4th of July parties one of which had really good food.  I look forward to this party every year  

Bought extra groceries so wouldn’t have to go shopping for a week. 

We did all this to protect other people not us. Yes they are my wife’s parents.  But everybody is somebodies loved one. 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You're still dreaming this is stoppable.  Short of isolating everyone alone in a room, it's not.  

39 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Exactly. 

My wife and I had to come up to Chicago to help my in-laws move.  Since they are both high risk this is what we did to reduce the chance of spreading it 

Kept our daughter home from daycare for a week(this was tough)

Wore masks whenever we left the house(do this anyway)

Skipped two 4th of July parties one of which had really good food.  I look forward to this party every year  

Bought extra groceries so wouldn’t have to go shopping for a week. 

We did all this to protect other people not us. Yes they are my wife’s parents.  But everybody is somebodies loved one. 

Since it has a 14 day incubation period, how do you know you didn't bring it to Chicago?   And did you stop for gas?  

5 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Since it has a 14 day incubation period, how do you know you didn't bring it to Chicago?   And did you stop for gas?  

Don’t know for certain. But we did everything we could. Which is aheckuva lot more than the nothing you have been pushing for.  

And yes we did stop for gas.  I wiped the pump handle down 

8 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

And it’s not doing anything to a lot of people.  I hope they figure out the genetics of this thing so they can identify those most at risk.  

I agree, although I think it may be that an effective vaccine gets figured out before that occurs.

18 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Quite a strawman argument.  Not sure why you continue to get on people who are doing things to try to help slow the spread.

The only thing that has worked to "slow the spread" has been shutting down and isolating.  As soon as you open back up, the spread accelerates.  IL opened up its last phase 6/26.   We have pretty tight requirements, a mask mandate and everything.  Chicago beaches and pools still closed.  Our 3 day avg of cases is up about 80% (about 600 to 1100).    

30 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

The only thing that has worked to "slow the spread" has been shutting down and isolating.  As soon as you open back up, the spread accelerates.  IL opened up its last phase 6/26.   We have pretty tight requirements, a mask mandate and everything.  Chicago beaches and pools still closed.  Our 3 day avg of cases is up about 80% (about 600 to 1100).    

Lol you cite a failed case and ignore all the successful cases like Italy, New Zealand, Taiwan and South Korea 

32 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Countries had success slowing the spread.  We failed because instead of actually listening we thought it better to b***** and moan and march on state capitols with rifles.

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol you cite a failed case and ignore all the successful cases like Italy, New Zealand, Taiwan and South Korea 

And even his crummy comparison fails his own test.  His 'as soon as you open everything up, the cases spread'.....he mentioned that Illinois went to their final phase on 6/26.  On May 26, their 7 day rolling average of cases was 1800+.  Hasn't been at that point since despite more people being out with the weather and Memorial weekend and July 4th.....and throw in more tests.

7 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

And even his crummy comparison fails his own test.  His 'as soon as you open everything up, the cases spread'.....he mentioned that Illinois went to their final phase on 6/26.  On May 26, their 7 day rolling average of cases was 1800+.  Hasn't been at that point since despite more people being out with the weather and Memorial weekend and July 4th.....and throw in more tests.

You know nothing about IL.  We have been "fully open" about 2 weeks.  The city, where most of the problem is, was a week or two behind the rest of the state reopening.  As I stated, they haven't opened the city beaches or pools yet.  Our move to phase 4 was based on the "data" and shortly after our cases are now rising.  

11 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

New Zealand, Taiwan, you're joking right.  Get a clue.  

15 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Don’t know for certain. But we did everything we could. Which is aheckuva lot more than the nothing you have been pushing for.  

And yes we did stop for gas.  I wiped the pump handle down 

Did you wipe the credit card reader?  The keypad?  The tuchscreen?

And if masks protect others from you infecting them, why would you need to isolate before you're trip?  Why not just wear a mask?  

39 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Did you wipe the credit card reader?  The keypad?  The tuchscreen?

And if masks protect others from you infecting them, why would you need to isolate before you're trip?  Why not just wear a mask?  

I believe what he’s trying to communicate is that there is no way to completely eliminate any chance of transmitting or contracting COVID, but trained medical professionals have consistently recommended certain  practices that greatly reduce transmission and contraction.

The poster you’re arguing with is simply expressing that he’s trying his best to reduce, not eliminate the chance of transmission or contraction; he’s trying to be responsible. 

How anyone can argue with or nitpick at that is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I believe what he’s trying to communicate is that there is no way to completely eliminate any chance of transmitting or contracting COVID, but trained medical professionals have consistently recommended certain  practices that greatly reduce transmission and contraction.

The poster you’re arguing with is simply expressing that he’s trying his best to reduce, not eliminate the chance of transmission or contraction; he’s trying to be responsible. 

How anyone can argue with or nitpick at that is beyond me.

Some people will grasp to anything to justify their own lack of effort or selflessness. Logic need not apply.  

And for the record I used hand sanitizer after stopping at the gas station.