Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

8 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

May 6th the peak: 2,701
July 6th: 244

Regardless of what #'s people use it is clear that although positive tests are increasing the mortality is decreasing. When this began I thought the concern with everyone was the morbidity rate but now it seems to just be the infection rate. The reality is we can't run and hide from illness. It sucks and I wish we could but it's part of life, we get sick. Also I agree about the # of positive tests in comparison with other countries just doesn't seem to follow logic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Face masks aren’t about you hiding from a disease they are about not killing other people.  People literally won’t do this tiny little thing that will save lives.  

We are literally just a nation of entitled ******* that think freedom means being entitled to put others at risk 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Face masks aren’t about you hiding from a disease they are about not killing other people.  People literally won’t do this tiny little thing that will save lives.  

We are literally just a nation of entitled ******* that think freedom means being entitled to put others at risk 

100%

49 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  As a society we absolutely suck at being selfless.

16 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  As a society we absolutely suck at being selfless.

Yep. There’s no accountability or belief in our collective well being.

It’s literally a blame everybody else,   Assume no responsibility by making pathetic excuses and refusing to do anything unless theirs an immediate personal gain. 

Essentially we are a nation of toddlers. 

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

It is also about not wanting to shut down the country again. If infection rates continue to go up, states will shut back down. The jobs that have been recovered will be lost again, those that are still without work will be without work for longer, and all that sacrifice earlier this year will be for nothing. 

23 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

It is also about not wanting to shut down the country again. If infection rates continue to go up, states will shut back down. The jobs that have been recovered will be lost again, those that are still without work will be without work for longer, and all that sacrifice earlier this year will be for nothing. 

If our "leaders" took it seriously from the beginning maybe we wouldn't be as bad off, instead they cried about the stock market.

Now they're dead set on completely opening schools, with no plan on how to do so safely, even though it could easily just turn into a petri dish; not to mention busses that are just petri dishes on wheels.  What could possibly go wrong....

8 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

If our "leaders" took it seriously from the beginning maybe we wouldn't be as bad off, instead they cried about the stock market.

Now they're dead set on completely opening schools, with no plan on how to do so safely, even though it could easily just turn into a petri dish; not to mention busses that are just petri dishes on wheels.  What could possibly go wrong....

Had they done so properly things would have already started to return to real normal not fake normal. 

There is plenty of blame to go around. The politicians (lets be real, most of them couldn’t find their own way out of a wet paper sack let alone lead anyone else out) deserve a lot, citizens deserve a lot, and international agencies deserve blame too. I’d love to know the truth about all of the decisions surrounding this pandemic and how it started..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think we'd be in a better spot right now if masks had been made a priority early on. Federal leadership could have found a way to make it patriotic. "Make a mask for yourself, make masks for your family, make masks for your friends! It's the American thing to do!" More businesses probably could have stayed open, the curve probably flattens earlier, and we would be a lot closer to normal than we currently are.

Imagine if Trump tweeted new styles of masks every week, instead of all the stupid **** he tweets now. But instead of making this a patriotic campaign, he had to be a macho-man and act like wearing a mask and showing compassion for others is a sign of weakness. Now most of his followers are anti-mask and abhorrently anti-media. Look where it's gotten us.

I think we'd be in a better spot right now if masks had been made a priority early on. Federal leadership could have found a way to make it patriotic. "Make a mask for yourself, make masks for your family, make masks for your friends! It's the American thing to do!" More businesses probably could have stayed open, the curve probably flattens earlier, and we would be a lot closer to normal than we currently are.
Imagine if Trump tweeted new styles of masks every week, instead of all the stupid **** he tweets now. But instead of making this a patriotic campaign, he had to be a macho-man and act like wearing a mask and showing compassion for others is a sign of weakness. Now most of his followers are anti-mask and abhorrently anti-media. Look where it's gotten us.

Imagine where we’d be if people could think for themselves and common sense were common..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Pat Forde -  Ohio State pausing voluntary workouts in men’s and women’s basketball, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball. The hits just keep coming today.

Thank you for posting information that this thread is actually meant for! This a sports forum,  and just like everything else, it's turned into a political forum. So many experts on here, claiming they know all the answers. When, in fact, the experts don't even know what's going on

Thanks '66!

42 minutes ago, jk34 said:

Thank you for posting information that this thread is actually meant for! This a sports forum,  and just like everything else, it's turned into a political forum. So many experts on here, claiming they know all the answers. When, in fact, the experts don't even know what's going on

Thanks '66!

I'll admit I'm tired of it as well.  Maybe we need a second virus thread and try keep it sports related?  Oh sorry, I had a senior moment and then quickly realized that could never happen.,

It's tricky to have a Coronavirus thread without it becoming a thread about the 'national discussion."

The mods have the goal of this thread not turning into a name-calling sh!t-show-train wreck. Generally, I think that effort has been successful; when opinions turn into insults we ask people to pull back and they largely do. I've already privately expressed my appreciation on more than one occasion to posters who started to 'go there' and agreed to voluntarily pull back from personalizing their comments.

That having been said, if there are posters that want Covid info specifically about sports, that info should probably be steered toward the college basketball/football threads, leaving this thread as the "reader beware" off-sports--off-topic thread.

7 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

I can tell you what a general school opening will look like as my district is one that has our plans in place I have been in conversation with teachers in other districts asking what there model will look like.

There basically seem to be two prevalent models:

Model 1 (the model my district is doing):  parents/students have the option of being in school face-to-face or e-learning.  Students/staff will be required to have masks on when social distancing is not likely possible -- basically busses and hallways.  Once in the classroom and seated with seats appropriately spaced, masks are not required.  In our model students coming to school face-to-face will be in session five days per week.

Model 2:  A hybrid model where students alternate days -- one group of students comes one day, one the next, which basically cuts class size is half.  On the day the student is not there, they will work on the assignment from the previous day.  Typically the rules for masks are the same as model 1 -- wear in hallways and busses, not needed for classroom when students are seated.

------------------------------------------------------

Basically, there isn't going to be a model that fits best for everyone.  As a teacher, I want to be teaching face to face but I know that basically I'm nothing more than part of a scientific experiment where politics are getting looked at over science. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Can I add a little optimism to this thread?

Let me tell you this with all of my heart:

When there is a vaccine and all restrictions are lifted, I am gonna appreciate the hell out of so so so many things and live them all to the fullest.

+100.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Can I add a little optimism to this thread?

Let me tell you this with all of my heart:

When there is a vaccine and all restrictions are lifted, I am gonna appreciate the hell out of so so so many things and live them all to the fullest.

+100.

Previously we weren’t seeing an uptick in deaths despite the increase in cases.....looks like it could just have been the lag between positive test increases and death counts.  Last three days have been upticks and our totals the last three days are our highest in a month.