Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

42 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

Right, hospitals are busy.  I specifically asked about his vent comments ("decide who to give vents to") which it turns out he doesn't have a source because it's not true.  I have seen no indication that vents are short.  

16 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

There you go again.  We've been down this road before.  You should know better not to ask me that question. LOL! Have a good day sir and GO HOOSIERS!

Look dude, put up or shut up.  You made a scary comment about ventilators that you have no support for.  Provide the source.  

This morning I read that leadership at the federal level threatened to cut funding to schools that don't reopen this fall.  Leadership mentioned other countries around the world that are open with no problems. 

Here's the list of yesterday's new COVID19 cases in the countries mentioned:
Denmark: 10
Norway: 11
Sweden: 57
Germany: 298
USA: 55,442

Those numbers don’t pass the common sense test. They just don’t. I know many people want to blame our politics/citizens etc, but other countries aren’t doing things magically better than we are to a point to prove these numbers. A virus “as contagious as this one” would be spreading despite masking/quarantining in all countries.

Something about these numbers doesn’t add up. Either we are inflating or other countries are deflating or both.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Those numbers don’t pass the common sense test. They just don’t. I know many people want to blame our politics/citizens etc, but other countries aren’t doing things magically better than we are to a point to prove these numbers. A virus “as contagious as this one” would be spreading despite masking/quarantining in all countries.

Something about these numbers doesn’t add up. Either we are inflating or other countries are deflating or both.

Or, just perhaps, masking and quarantine are sufficient and we've failed at that in comparison

51 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

These countries copied Taiwan, New Zealand, South Korea.  And after a time they were able to get things under control.  We didn’t bother to copy the countries that were successful.   So we can’t exactly be shocked we didn’t get the same results. 

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Common sense and an educational background in medicine.

So why would common sense say that doing all the things that successful countries are doing will not lead to drastically reduced cases.  

Seems more like your own bias sneaking in.  That or just every country has formed a massive conspiracy to lie?  

Ours was going the same direction as Europe albeit at a slightly lower rate until we reopened.  They aren’t doing anything special they just did it longer  

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm curious about statistics like this. When a place says " X number of X tests came back positive," does that mean currently infected and contagious, or have had it at some time and now have antibodies

Maybe mdn or one of our medical industry posters can help define this.

I can’t speak for their current testing strategies but 429 seems like it would be a current Covid test and not an antibody test.  I would think the numbers would be higher on an antibody test.  Plus the way the world is the cynic in me feels like they would jump through a hoop to make themselves look better and say only xx amount are currently testing positive.  I would vote for currently infected and contagious.  It just sucks.  As much as for selfish reasons I want sports I don’t want anyone to go through this in an unsafe environment.  

So why would common sense say that doing all the things that successful countries are doing will not lead to drastically reduced cases.  

Seems more like your own bias sneaking in.  That or just every country has formed a massive conspiracy to lie?  

Ours was going the same direction as Europe albeit at a slightly lower rate until we reopened.  They aren’t doing anything special they just did it longer  

One answer is the amount of asymptomatic testing we are doing and encouraging. Also Same individuals testing positive multiple times being counted each time. This is going to drive up number astronomically.

Let’s talk morbidity?

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

One answer is the amount of asymptomatic testing we are doing and encouraging. Also Same individuals testing positive multiple times being counted each time. This is going to drive up number astronomically.

Let’s talk morbidity?

And you don’t think those countries are doing asymptomatic testing. They are actually doing contact tracing.  So they very likely are. But as their cases go down they have fewer to trace. As ours go up we have more to trace. 

57 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Let’s talk morbidity?

Denmark’s testing per citizen dwarfs ours.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Let’s talk morbidity?

Simple question:  do you think our covid strategy has been good?

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I know many people want to blame our politics/citizens etc, but other countries aren’t doing things magically better than we are to a point to prove these numbers.

I wonder if other countries have people creating fake "face mask exempt" cards. I bet in some countries it would never even be considered. 

Let’s talk morbidity?

May 6th the peak: 2,701
July 6th: 244

Regardless of what #'s people use it is clear that although positive tests are increasing the mortality is decreasing. When this began I thought the concern with everyone was the morbidity rate but now it seems to just be the infection rate. The reality is we can't run and hide from illness. It sucks and I wish we could but it's part of life, we get sick. Also I agree about the # of positive tests in comparison with other countries just doesn't seem to follow logic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I wonder if other countries have people creating fake "face mask exempt" cards. I bet in some countries it would never even be considered. 

Pretty sure you would be arrested for that BS in some.  I know not having a face mask in Germany gets you a hefty fine.