Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Like I said, I'm not gonna weigh in on the substance of the posts. 

My interest is that this not degenerate into a train wreck of an on-line shouting match.

I can either remove the line of posts, or we can all agree to stop the name calling and political shouting starting...now!

SO, I'll leave it to y'all to voluntarily do so (without ANYONE saying "yeah, but he started it!")

If that happens, we'll move on. If not, I'll start deleting posts.

Thanks

By the way -- as a suggestion/option that you all are well aware of, you can take the discussion to pms at anytime. In pms you are free to call each other out in ways that are not a good idea on the open board.

Thanks again

50 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Fixed it for you.   You're as blind and biased as I think you are if you truly believe Trump is at fault for that.  Seriously, man.  Do some homework and just be objective.   How anyone can blame DJT in total blows my mind beyond words.  The abject ignorance and blindness of that....

Obama used divisive rhetoric on a regular basis, starting with "cynical voters cling to their guns and religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them."     He said "anti-immigrant sentiment or anti trade sentiment" is a way to explain their frustrations.   Obama called all opposed to same sex marriage "bigots."  Obama called the pro-life movement a "war on women."  He called immigration enforcement "racist."  Obama called the GOP "the enemy of Hispanics."  Then...Obama was the one who claimed Trump was somehow capitalizing on America's traditional resentments.

Obama was the president who ran with the narratives in Ferguson, MO in 2014; never offering an apology once facts came out, eye-witnesses testified, and the officer was acquitted because Brown had in fact reached for his (officer's) gun.  Obama has selective memory, just as the media seems to.  He is not detached from the division as he seems to think he is, and in fact was the main culprit.  Trump took the opposite side, so it's HIS fault?  No.  Sorry.  

Facts :  Unemployment under Trump...lower for black people, lower for Hispanic people, lower for women than under Obama.  GDP growth up from Obama.  Wages up from Obama.  But sure.  Blame Trump.  Other than rhetoric, what action or policy has led to the "end of American hegemony?"     If you don't or won't see the division in Obama's presidency (hell, it's why Trump WON), you're either blind, ignorant, or in denial.  There is no other explanation.  Not much of the above is my opinion, so don't give me yours.

We can certainly disagree on points and I am open to dialogue, but what you are mentioning has nothing to do with the current administration notifying the Hill that the US is pulling out of WHO nor the perceived decline in the US's influence and respect in the world with our Allies and potential allies.

25 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

Seeing that Stanford is cutting 11 sports after the 20-21 season. 

That sucks.  I truly fear we are at a point of no return and when sports are supposed to start there is just no way sports with larger rosters or non money makers won’t cancel this year.  That would be horrible and a doomsday scenario for college athletics.  If football can’t be played safely this year I have no clue how many programs even survive.  In the grand scheme of things it isn’t that important, but I don’t think people truly think of or underestimate the mental aspect of things like this not being available daily does to a large portion of people.  It’s July 8th and this year has felt like 3 years already.  Lol I watch Korean Baseball now.  Korean Baseball!!! Definitely beats the alternative.  Around now in a normal year of course we would have the July evaluations, training camps for football, little league World Series, summer ball for NBA, and just coming out of the all star game.  This year just sucks.  

This morning I read that leadership at the federal level threatened to cut funding to schools that don't reopen this fall.  Leadership mentioned other countries around the world that are open with no problems. 

Here's the list of yesterday's new COVID19 cases in the countries mentioned:
Denmark: 10
Norway: 11
Sweden: 57
Germany: 298
USA: 55,442

Ahhh politics.. you know my stance on the issue. I would recommend the two part PBS Frontline “America’s Great Divide.” It didn’t start with Obama or Trump. It’s be 30ish something years of presidents leaving office with the country in a worse position than when they took office. Can’t remember the exact quote but it’s NOT GOOD!

Find a way to get the best of the best in elected and public positions instead of in the private sector and well start to see a change. Easier said than done.

Having done a ton of research on how Cybersecurity is directed and regulated in the US compared to other cyber powers it’s laughable how messed up our system is because politicking.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

49 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

FL hospitals are now hitting ICU capacity and are beginning to have to decide who to give vents to.  AZ is on the verge as well.  

Stay safe folks.  

Source for your vent comments?

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm not gonna comment on the substance of the post, except for...lol on the portion I bolded.

I know.   Idiotic.  I just knew what was coming.  I'm with you, believe it or not.

It is now official   The Ivy League will not play college football, and other sports, this fall because of the coronavirus pandemic. The league is not entertaining playing any fall sports until January 1, 2021 at the earliest.  Full story at the link below.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Ivy-League-officially-cancels-2020-fall-sports-could-play-in-spring-148939904/?fbclid=IwAR2jZK3NHYVnQlAVpceP5atgxshUgdPCZynMk76ukujml43n0tH6cG7Zdos

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It is now official   The Ivy League will not play college football, and other sports, this fall because of the coronavirus pandemic. The league is not entertaining playing any fall sports until January 1, 2021 at the earliest.  Full story at the link below.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Ivy-League-officially-cancels-2020-fall-sports-could-play-in-spring-148939904/?fbclid=IwAR2jZK3NHYVnQlAVpceP5atgxshUgdPCZynMk76ukujml43n0tH6cG7Zdos

Wow gonna interfere with non conference schedules of other schools 

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

UNC's football has paused voluntary workouts for at least a week after 37 of 429 COVID-19 tests of UNC athletes came back positive.  The university didn't break down the positive tests by sport.

I'm curious about statistics like this. When a place says " X number of X tests came back positive," does that mean currently infected and contagious, or have had it at some time and now have antibodies

Maybe mdn or one of our medical industry posters can help define this.

39 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Source for your vent comments?

There you go again.  We've been down this road before.  You should know better not to ask me that question. LOL! Have a good day sir and GO HOOSIERS!