Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Not sure if this has been posted; but it appears that deaths related to Covid have been undercounted by about 28%  Yikes!
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/official-us-coronavirus-death-toll-is-a-substantial-undercount-of-actual-tally-new-yale-study-finds.html

I thought it was over counted though..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

On Tuesday, Texas set a record for patients hospitalized and according to Johns Hopkins they're 20 new cases per 100K per day.  Yet their Lt. Governor said they've been successful, interesting definition of success.

Kinda like a Tom Crean defensive possession. Gave up a 3 but we had 4 deflections!!!!

Kind of wish some of the businesses in my community would loosen their grip a little. Went to the library today, which is under construction with everything moved around in addition to the mess that Covid has turned it into. Didn't know where to return my books, so I handed them to a librarian, who told me "next time, use the drop box." I guess touching a book that someone else touched is dangerous now. 

The Animal Shelter has been closed since March. It announced today it will remain closed indefinitely after planning to re-open next week. 

I get why we need to be cautious, I guess I just don't know why everything has to be upended in an area that's actually doing pretty well right now. 

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Three consecutive days with a new high number of cases.  Almost 53,000 today and LA county hasn’t checked in yet.

Disney World is licking its chops. If it's open, you know people will still go there and cough all over each other. 

7 hours ago, Defenserocks28 said:

Not sure if this has been posted; but it appears that deaths related to Covid have been undercounted by about 28%  Yikes!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/official-us-coronavirus-death-toll-is-a-substantial-undercount-of-actual-tally-new-yale-study-finds.html

I am sure we have under counted deaths but we have way under counted cases by 15-20 million it seems. Either way we have a big problem. 

17 hours ago, Aaron said:

I am sure we have under counted deaths but we have way under counted cases by 15-20 million it seems. Either way we have a big problem. 

Obviously there are more cases than the total.  I try to say ‘confirmed cases’.  Most studies I’ve seen say we have had been 6 to 24 times the confirmed cases with the consensus being 10.  So we’ve probably had around 30 million cases or so....but herd immunity would be well over 200 million.

15 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

OMG this is getting beyond sad at this point 

Look at some of this study’s “details”.  Average age of those given neither med was 68.2 and 64% were over 65.  Average age given hcq and z pack was 62.3 and 46% were over 65.  What a shock that the younger and more healthy group had a lower mortality.

7 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Look at some of this study’s “details”.  Average age of those given neither med was 68.2 and 64% were over 65.  Average age given hcq and z pack was 62.3 and 46% were over 65.  What a shock that the younger and more healthy group had a lower mortality.

Just curious.  Did you do the same analysis of the "hydroxy is bad" studies?   

7 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Given the medication early in the infection too, I'm shocked early treatment has a higher survival rate especially when you consider they were given azithromycin too.

I saw other researchers are criticizing this study because of how it was conducted, for the reason you stated the patients were selected because they fit specific criteria.

3 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Just curious.  Did you do the same analysis of the "hydroxy is bad" studies?   

Yes..I teach math and science and make it a habit to look at details of a study.  

Anyway, studies stand and fail on their own merits.  Why are you attempting to deflect?

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Yes..I teach math and science and make it a habit to look at details of a study.  

Anyway, studies stand and fail on their own merits.  Why are you attempting to deflect?

Not deflecting.  Just didn’t see you critically analyze the “hydroxy is bad” studies.