Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I'm not sure why the media would get blamed on this.....it's pretty easy for a state's government to be forthright about it.  Indiana's dashboard has shown that we ramped up our available ICU beds in preparation for covid to 2,981 ICU beds statewide;  March 25th, as more beds started to fill, it had peaked at 3,325 ICU beds.  It currently sits at 2,521 beds as we are through our strongest wave (assuming).  Al of this information was obtained with one link.

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/

Is it really so hard to assume that the taxes we pay are spent in such a way to give a state's citizens the data to make informed decisions?  For some reason I think that government inefficiency to be transparent gets put as a 'media' issue.  The media certainly can't publish information that the state isn't providing, and in the case of Texas, information that they intentionally removed.

Simple stating half the story in a shocking headline is not informing the public.  Comparing normal capacity to current capacity changes the headline.  If the hospital normally runs at 80% ICU capacity, and is currently at 80% capacity there is no "news."  

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Simple stating half the story in a shocking headline is not informing the public.  Comparing normal capacity to current capacity changes the headline.  If the hospital normally runs at 80% ICU capacity, and is currently at 80% capacity there is no "news."  

Then again, you don’t think the numbers being removed from the public is a story, so whatevs.

I can tell you Indiana is one of the few states that is doing well and the numbers seem normal where I work and have for a while now. Praying it stays that way here but fear the worst. First the Northeast got it. Now the South and West. Presumably Midwest has to be next but I hope not. 

If Indy 500 really runs with 175k that will be the ultimate test and may well be when Indiana gets overwhelmed. I don't actually believe the numbers are higher now than at first we are just testing a lot more.

With that said the numbers are WAY to high and people need to be careful when out. 

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

I can tell you Indiana is one of the few states that is doing well and the numbers seem normal where I work and have for a while now. Praying it stays that way here but fear the worst. First the Northeast got it. Now the South and West. Presumably Midwest has to be next but I hope not. 

If Indy 500 really runs with 175k that will be the ultimate test and may well be when Indiana gets overwhelmed. I don't actually believe the numbers are higher now than at first we are just testing a lot more.

With that said the numbers are WAY to high and people need to be careful when out. 

In terms of increasing testing being the influencing factor that our numbers are higher, that might be true if percentage of tests that were positive were remaining constant even with increased tests.  The percentage positive has been increasing along with increased tests.  In Florida it has nearly quintupled from around 3% testing positive to 15% testing positive in a couple of weeks.

In the height of the pandemic back in March/April, we were looking at a peak of just over 20% testing positive -- part the reason of it being high was lack of tests, so only the worst were getting testing.  We progressed to the middle of June, dropping that % pretty consistently to around 4.5%.  We are now in the 7% range just two weeks later despite performing around 70,000 more tests nationally at the end of June compared to the middle.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states

That said, the OPPOSITE is happening in Indiana, fortunately.  We have increased tests but have still seen both the % positive AND the number of positive tests drop all the way through June.

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

This came up on NPR this morning. Thought it would was a good tool. I don't understand why we didn't have something like this when we first started opening up (similar to terror alert after 9/11, which to me is way more difficult to pinpoint).

*Note that it looks like the map has crashed, but hopefully is up soon. Here is a link to the NPR story which has a picture of the map.

3 hours ago, Chips&Dipo said:

This came up on NPR this morning. Thought it would was a good tool. I don't understand why we didn't have something like this when we first started opening up (similar to terror alert after 9/11, which to me is way more difficult to pinpoint).

*Note that it looks like the map has crashed, but hopefully is up soon. Here is a link to the NPR story which has a picture of the map.

Good info.  One thing we do need to keep in mind certain places —as tourist attractions — can quickly move into a danger zone and can also cause the spread to become more national.  Disney World is scheduled to open on July 11th.  That’s a scary prospect given Florida’s rise in cases.

13 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Lawmakers Introduce Bill to Block College Coronavirus Liability Waivers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/06/30/coronavirus-liability-waivers-legislation-student-athletes

Not sure the likelihood of this passing, but should it then it will likely be another wrench in getting things moving this fall.

Buster Olney said a couple of days ago that from what he was hearing those high up in baseball, he would give a 5% chance that the season actually starts and a 0% chance it finishes.  Obviously that’s an ultra pessimistic answer and one none of wants to hear, but the possibility exists that we might have seen the last of the three major sports  for a while.  :(

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Good info.  One thing we do need to keep in mind certain places —as tourist attractions — can quickly move into a danger zone and can also cause the spread to become more national.  Disney World is scheduled to open on July 11th.  That’s a scary prospect given Florida’s rise in cases.

They interviewed someone from the Harvard Global Institute and basically said as much. They continuously update the map based on the numbers, which is why it is a useful tool (in my opinion).

6 hours ago, Chips&Dipo said:

The link is now working well, and it is very informative!