Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

9 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

I was referring to the CDC’s findings

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Sorry about that, I misunderstood.  I thought you were referring to the .002% number.  

I've seen that CDC 10X number in quite a few places, Google News, WaPo, NYT, Reuters, CNN, Yahoo, BING news, CNBC.  

Although I'm not seeing it on FoxNews main page, or at least, it's not very obvious where.

Indpls. Star. by Zach Osterman -

IU expects near $12 million shortfall, believes it can cover without cutting sports

An internal forecast projects IU athletics to require a cost savings of nearly $12 million for the coming fiscal year, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic — and that forecast suggests the shortfall can be covered without reductions in staff or sports. 

According to a departmental memo obtained by IndyStar, Indiana’s athletic department will need to implement measures to save approximately 10% on expenses that would otherwise project to $118,915,508 for the coming fiscal year. That would require a necessary savings of approximately $11.8 million.

That memo, distributed by Athletic Director Fred Glass and AD-in-waiting Scott Dolson, outlines the first phase of the cost-savings plan that will address that shortfall. A second phase will be left open-ended in case the financial impact of the ongoing pandemic deepens through the first half of the fiscal year. 

it asserts that via first-phase cost-saving measures, which will go into effect when the new fiscal year begins July 1, the department projects to have “essentially achieved” the necessary budget reduction without impacting staffing or sports. 

Helping to address the projected shortfall: Dolson, Glass, IU football coach Tom Allen and IU men’s basketball coach Archie Miller — four of the department’s highest earners — will each donate 10% of their salary back to the department in the coming fiscal year. For each Allen and Miller, that donation will total more than $300,000, based on the terms of their current contracts. 

IU will offset COVID-19-related losses via other means as well, including: 

>> A freeze on salary increases and discretionary bonuses. 

>> A hiring freeze other than for countable coaches. 

>> A ban on unnecessary departmental travel.

>> Curtailing overtime. 

>> A freeze on all non-essential facility maintenance and construction. 

>> The university’s cellphone stipend elimination. 

There will also be what the memo terms “targeted cuts at the department and program levels” that the memo itself does not specifically name. 

The memo outlines to athletics staff several priorities, chiefly among them preserving current staff employment and a broad-brush term, “opportunities for students,” i.e. not just keeping all 24 varsity sports, but properly funding them, keeping wider departmental support structures in place, and so on. 

The memo does not address what specifically would trigger that, but it stands to reason the ability of Division I schools to complete a full football and men’s basketball season figures prominently. Revenues specific to those two sports together accounted for more than 60% of IU athletics revenue in the fiscal year 2019.

IU’s overall pre-COVID-19 expense estimate would represent an increase of more than $4 million on last year. The memo does not outline projected revenues, but balancing a budget with a 10% reduction on those projected expenses would require revenues of slightly more than $107 million. Indiana reported revenues totaling $127,832,628 in the past fiscal year.

22 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’m on the fence about this. I see a lot of myself in TheWatShot’s post. If I get it and die, well **** it. It was my time to go. I have no idea how it would affect me with the all the other **** I’ve had in the past. With that, I wear a mask everywhere I go. I wear a mask to the gym. I wear a mask to walk down the hall to do laundry. I’ve gotten used to wearing a mask so much I’ve placed a water bottle to my mouth with a mask on. It baffles me that some are so opposed to possibly protecting themselves and others they won’t wear a mask. I know why some don’t and it’s not for me to judge but ****! Wear it!

Slightly related, while living in Okinawa we had a ton of typhoons come through. The first few were supposed to be stronger so the base went into lockdown and everything was stored inside while I watched locals walk and drive around from my off base apartment. I quickly realized that whatever protocols the base was using to determine the strength were way off. A month later a “small” typhoon came rolling through and the locals were nowhere to be seen. We got hit hard.

Moral of the story: watch what the people that deal with this **** all the time are doing and fall in line. China, Korea and Japan deal with this kind of thing more often than we do. They wear masks a lot more often. Just wear the ******* mask!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I have found a couple of masks that are pretty comfortable.  One of them that I’ve gotten used to I barely notice when I have it on....

I have to say I don’t get the “if I get it and die, it was my time to go”.  Might be my atheistic world view, but I don’t believe in the whole “it was just his/her time” thing.  Factors that influence things are either random or ones that can be influenced.  I don’t spend much time giving any thought to getting brain cancer because that is something I can’t control.  But in the case of covid, the ‘inconvenience’ of wearing a mask or social distancing is something IMO that I am willing to do.

3 hours ago, jbell833 said:

The CDC came out yesterday and said that antibody tests have shown that the number of Covid cases is closer to 10x that of the reported number from tests. Like meaning mortality rate is closer to .002%. I feel like this info is not a bad thing. That being said, everyone stay safe and still continue to mask up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I am skeptical of that number -- 10x.  I had an antibody test.  The way it was explained to me was that it looks for a general corona virus.  Then, because this covid one has been the only one going around, they "assume" you got it.  Who knows at this point.   

27 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I am skeptical of that number -- 10x.  I had an antibody test.  The way it was explained to me was that it looks for a general corona virus.  Then, because this covid one has been the only one going around, they "assume" you got it.  Who knows at this point.   

I wholeheartedly support your last sentence: “Who knows at this point?” 

While I’ll remain “better safe than sorry”, your conclusion sums up what I conclude too.

I have to say I don’t get the “if I get it and die, it was my time to go”.  Might be my atheistic world view, but I don’t believe in the whole “it was just his/her time” thing.  

I’ve seen enough random **** that I strongly believe when it’s your time to go it’s your time to go. I wouldn’t consider myself a religious person, more spiritual. However, I’ve been told more times than I can remember “you should be dead.” There’s nothing that can really explain why I didn’t die besides it wasn’t my time to go.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’ve seen enough random **** that I strongly believe when it’s your time to go it’s your time to go. I wouldn’t consider myself a religious person, more spiritual. However, I’ve been told more times than I can remember “you should be dead.” There’s nothing that can really explain why I didn’t die besides it wasn’t my time to go.

Does that usually come after "hold my beer"?  :)  

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19-antibodies-fade-months-study/story?id=71406787

This more than a little worry some. Obviously this is very preliminary but if true we may be really really screwed as a species and not sure how you can develop a vaccine if antibodies don't last.

Any thoughts? Do we quarantine the whole world for a few weeks so virus dies off on its own running out of hosts? Do we just live with it and treat it like a cold and let many die? Obviously herd immunity will not work. 

I hope for the best but this may be most depressing thing we could find out right now.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-19-antibodies-fade-months-study/story?id=71406787
This more than a little worry some. Obviously this is very preliminary but if true we may be really really screwed as a species and not sure how you can develop a vaccine if antibodies don't last.
Any thoughts? Do we quarantine the whole world for a few weeks so virus dies off on its own running out of hosts? Do we just live with it and treat it like a cold and let many die? Obviously herd immunity will not work. 
I hope for the best but this may be most depressing thing we could find out right now.

My personal opinion hasn’t changed. This is a coronavirus. The common cold (coronavirus) kills a lot of elderly and unhealthy people every year. It’s chalked up as natural causes often. Nobody even bats an eye. The death rate is lessening all the time of Covid19, if it was ever actually high in the first place. You can’t and won’t be able to quarantine and kill the virus. The flattening the curve turned into to something it probably shouldn’t have. We need to learn to live with it. The scare tactics employed about this thing are unreal. People don’t have enough science background to even understand half of this stuff. The public will believe anything they are told. I’ve been this way from the beginning and it isn’t changing.

Update: I spoke with someone I know who is a doctor and he said while nothing is certain, even if antibodies only work for a short time as this study indicates, you can still tweak them for a vaccine to make them last longer as long as antibodies are produced at all which clearly Covid does.

It does mean though until a vaccine you are not safe from getting it again so that is still significant. Also he says treatments can be developed obviously even if vaccines fail.

Feel better now and glad I spoke with this person although still a scary situation.

55 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My personal opinion hasn’t changed. This is a coronavirus. The common cold (coronavirus) kills a lot of elderly and unhealthy people every year. It’s chalked up as natural causes often. Nobody even bats an eye. The death rate is lessening all the time of Covid19, if it was ever actually high in the first place. You can’t and won’t be able to quarantine and kill the virus. The flattening the curve turned into to something it probably shouldn’t have. We need to learn to live with it. The scare tactics employed about this thing are unreal. People don’t have enough science background to even understand half of this stuff. The public will believe anything they are told. I’ve been this way from the beginning and it isn’t changing.

The common cold is not a Coronavirus.  And yes most people won’t understand this. Which is not an excuse to ignore the ones that do. 

The virus is declining in countries that listened to the advice of scientists and doctors.   We as a nation did not which is why we are now paying the price.   And the longer we don’t listen the worse it will get. 

How the world did you get that number. 

Approximately 2.5 million cases times 10. = 25 million. With 125,000 deaths. Equals a death every 200 people or a mortality rate of .5%

My apologies, the .002% mortality rate is for those under the age of 70.

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The common cold is not a Coronavirus.  And yes most people won’t understand this. Which is not an excuse to ignore the ones that do. 

The virus is declining in countries that listened to the advice of scientists and doctors.   We as a nation did not which is why we are now paying the price.   And the longer we don’t listen the worse it will get. 

There are a couple hundred viruses that can cause the common cold, and some of them do fall in the Coronavirus group.

The rest I can agree with.

4 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

My apologies, the .002% mortality rate is for those under the age of 70.

Data to back that up?  

California has about 170,000 diagnosed cases under 70 years old. With 1819 deaths.  Multiplying cases by 10 and you still get a mortality of over .1.  

Just now, JSHoosier said:

There are a couple hundred viruses that can cause the common cold, and some of them do fall in the Coronavirus group.

The rest I can agree with.

By far the most common cause of the common cold is not a Coronavirus so to call a common cold a Coronavirus is deceptive at best. Pretty sure there’s only 8 or 9 corona irises in total there’s over 200 viruses that cause the common cold 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

By far the most common cause of the common cold is not a Coronavirus so to call a common cold a Coronavirus is deceptive at best. Pretty sure there’s only 8 or 9 corona irises in total there’s over 200 viruses that cause the common cold 

Agreed.  I read that Coronaviruses cause about 20% of common colds, that leaves 80% for rhinoviruses and other groups.

Disagree with all of this. No point in you and I going back and forth though.

20% of all colds. Very similar indeed. Not deceptive at all.