Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

I really do understand the mask issue but how can you want everyone wearing masks and sports to resume at the same time.  Last weekend in Fort Wayne, they had an untold number of kids from Indiana, Ohio and Michigan playing basketball.  I watched a couple of games and other than there were no spectators, these kids played just like they normally would.  There was also some kind of youth football event in Fort Wayne.   The physicality of the NBA rivals football and I really don't think its 113-page Health and Safety Protocol is going to do much other than make for good PR unless you consider doubles ping pong to be especially risky vs. sweaty bodies banging in the paint.   Brooks Koepka's caddie tested positive so let's make those golfers wear masks or suspend the PGA tour.

I just don't see a middle ground.  Either it's mandatory (as is Nevada starting tomorrow) for everyone or it's a personal or individual business decision.  

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I really do understand the mask issue but how can you want everyone wearing masks and sports to resume at the same time.  Last weekend in Fort Wayne, they had an untold number of kids from Indiana, Ohio and Michigan playing basketball.  I watched a couple of games and other than there were no spectators, these kids played just like they normally would.  There was also some kind of youth football event in Fort Wayne.   The physicality of the NBA rivals football and I really don't think its 113-page Health and Safety Protocol is going to do much other than make for good PR unless you consider doubles ping pong to be especially risky vs. sweaty bodies banging in the paint.   Brooks Koepka's caddie tested positive so let's make those golfers wear masks or suspend the PGA tour.

I just don't see a middle ground.  Either it's mandatory (as is Nevada starting tomorrow) for everyone or it's a personal or individual business decision.  

The US is less than 5% of the world's population but it's about 25% of COVID-19 deaths worldwide.  In my opinion, which means nothing, deciding if kids can play sports at this moment is a loss in priority.  And allowing it to happen is incompetent for the health and safety of these children.  This isn't going to go away.  Leadership months ago stated we are at war.  And the current way to successfully 'win' a battle in this war is social distancing along with doing things like wearing a mask.  But it appears we have raised the white flag and loss the war because the country as a whole has just given up.

The US is less than 5% of the world's population but it's about 25% of COVID-19 deaths worldwide.  In my opinion, which means nothing, deciding if kids can play sports at this moment is a loss in priority.  And allowing it to happen is incompetent for the health and safety of these children.  This isn't going to go away.  Leadership months ago stated we are at war.  And the current way to successfully 'win' a battle in this war is social distancing along with doing things like wearing a mask.  But it appears we have raised the white flag and loss the war because the country as a whole has just given up.

Draw any conclusions from your 5% of population but 25% of Coronavirus?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

31 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Draw any conclusions from your 5% of population but 25% of Coronavirus?

This country isn't practicing social distancing like other countries on the planet?  This country has given up?  There's a lack of leadership to guide the population to be on the same page?  Honestly, I don't really have a 'conclusion' per se, considering this is a fluid problem that requires humility, empathy and a full understanding of just how long this war is going to take to claim victorious.  That last stat (25%) will change.  It can get worse or better.  I don't even understand why you're asking this question?  

The sad takeaway is that in other countries where masks are not mandatory the chances seem to be higher  of people wearing them than they are here.  I guess I don’t understand the group of people so against an NFL player protesting an American principle while themselves seemingly acting in a way that shows no empathy to American people.

This country isn't practicing social distancing like other countries on the planet?  This country has given up?  There's a lack of leadership to guide the population to be on the same page?  Honestly, I don't really have a 'conclusion' per se, considering this is a fluid problem that requires humility, empathy and a full understanding of just how long this war is going to take to claim victorious.  That last stat (25%) will change.  It can get worse or better.  I don't even understand why you're asking this question?  

It’s definitely food for thought. And your conclusions aren’t the only ones that can explain the discrepancy. But go ahead and blame our awful citizens and government ad nauseum.

56 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It’s definitely food for thought. And your conclusions aren’t the only ones that can explain the discrepancy. But go ahead and blame our awful citizens and government ad nauseum.

Huh?  Man, your response is a prime example of folks not being on the same page.  You be you sir.  Have a good day.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

The sad takeaway is that in other countries where masks are not mandatory the chances seem to be higher  of people wearing them than they are here.  I guess I don’t understand the group of people so against an NFL player protesting an American principle while themselves seemingly acting in a way that shows no empathy to American people.

Treading carefully here to avoid getting political, but something I've noticed throughout the pandemic has been the divide between urban and rural Americans. 

I think people in larger cities and higher populated areas have taken it more seriously. It makes sense, because people who live closer together are more likely to spread diseases by sharing space and interacting with others, whereas rural Americans are more spread out. 

Take Fort Wayne, for example. I went shopping at several stores there last week. Probably 90% of the people I saw, children included, were wearing masks. The next day, I went to Walmart in my hometown. It was very busy, and I saw two masks the whole time I was there. Fort Wayne residents are obviously more cautious than the people in my community, where masks are regularly met with derision, eye rolls, and sneers about being a sheep. Like the guy at Walmart who walked under caution tape and simply said "arrest me" to the store employee who called him out on it. 

This is largely a "rural vs. urban" mentality. Rural Americans are inherently stubborn and HATE being told what to do, even if it's for their own good. Their motto seems to be "if it doesn't kill you, it's safe." I'm sure you know people like this. They're the ones who brag about how drinking from a hose, riding without seatbelts and eating raw meat had literally no impact on their well-being, among other things. They tend to have a very cavalier attitude toward humanity and view life as a privilege, an opportunity that could be taken from them at any time. They don't care if they get sick, because they think they'll just recover, and if they don't, well then that's life. 

Of the people I know who fit this particular demographic, they feel that at best, this is all a big overreaction to something that's on par with the flu, and at worst, it's a conspiracy to prompt a change in leadership at the top. 

I don't know if there are people like this in other countries. Having in-laws who were not born in the U.S., I do feel that other nations probably aren't dealing with as much backlash as we've seen here. 

45 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Treading carefully here to avoid getting political, but something I've noticed throughout the pandemic has been the divide between urban and rural Americans. 

I think people in larger cities and higher populated areas have taken it more seriously. It makes sense, because people who live closer together are more likely to spread diseases by sharing space and interacting with others, whereas rural Americans are more spread out. 

Take Fort Wayne, for example. I went shopping at several stores there last week. Probably 90% of the people I saw, children included, were wearing masks. The next day, I went to Walmart in my hometown. It was very busy, and I saw two masks the whole time I was there. Fort Wayne residents are obviously more cautious than the people in my community, where masks are regularly met with derision, eye rolls, and sneers about being a sheep. Like the guy at Walmart who walked under caution tape and simply said "arrest me" to the store employee who called him out on it. 

This is largely a "rural vs. urban" mentality. Rural Americans are inherently stubborn and HATE being told what to do, even if it's for their own good. Their motto seems to be "if it doesn't kill you, it's safe." I'm sure you know people like this. They're the ones who brag about how drinking from a hose, riding without seatbelts and eating raw meat had literally no impact on their well-being, among other things. They tend to have a very cavalier attitude toward humanity and view life as a privilege, an opportunity that could be taken from them at any time. They don't care if they get sick, because they think they'll just recover, and if they don't, well then that's life. 

Of the people I know who fit this particular demographic, they feel that at best, this is all a big overreaction to something that's on par with the flu, and at worst, it's a conspiracy to prompt a change in leadership at the top. 

I don't know if there are people like this in other countries. Having in-laws who were not born in the U.S., I do feel that other nations probably aren't dealing with as much backlash as we've seen here. 

I wholeheartedly agree about your assessment of comparing rural v urban.  I will say where I reside, the Evansville area, wearing a mask is almost nonexistent in both Evansville and towns surrounding it.  So it appears both aren't having it down here.  But to be fair, I am practicing social/physical distancing so I really don't get out all that much and I might be off on that comment.  But of the places I have gone (grocery stores, home improvement stores, walking trail) I feel like I'm the only one wearing a mask.  It's rare to see other folk wearing a mask, that's for sure.  I feel like there's a scarlet letter on me or something.  It's really bizarre.   

What's really crazy about this virus is that experts in the field are struggling with trying to understand it.  Because in some places cases are increasing and decreasing in others.  And I've read where an expert is saying the data on the effectiveness of masks is lacking.  But he still recommends to wear a mask.  His advice to protect yourself is distance, distance, distance and do not rely on a cloth face covering to protect you or to keep you from transmitting to others.    

Leadership at the federal level made wearing a mask a political thing and folks have just given up with the social/physical distancing.  That's the unfortunate truth of the matter.  

21 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I live in a pretty rural area and haven't seen many people around wearing masks.  I try to if I'm going to the store or something.

10 hours ago, Rico said:

It is amazing how so many people are adamant about not wearing one.  

Yeah don’t get me wrong I absolutely hate wearing one. Especially doing physical labor of setting up a new warehouse.  It gets moist and starts sticking. It freaking sucks. I still wear one. But I wear it because it will help save lives 

I’m on the fence about this. I see a lot of myself in TheWatShot’s post. If I get it and die, well **** it. It was my time to go. I have no idea how it would affect me with the all the other **** I’ve had in the past. With that, I wear a mask everywhere I go. I wear a mask to the gym. I wear a mask to walk down the hall to do laundry. I’ve gotten used to wearing a mask so much I’ve placed a water bottle to my mouth with a mask on. It baffles me that some are so opposed to possibly protecting themselves and others they won’t wear a mask. I know why some don’t and it’s not for me to judge but ****! Wear it!

Slightly related, while living in Okinawa we had a ton of typhoons come through. The first few were supposed to be stronger so the base went into lockdown and everything was stored inside while I watched locals walk and drive around from my off base apartment. I quickly realized that whatever protocols the base was using to determine the strength were way off. A month later a “small” typhoon came rolling through and the locals were nowhere to be seen. We got hit hard.

Moral of the story: watch what the people that deal with this **** all the time are doing and fall in line. China, Korea and Japan deal with this kind of thing more often than we do. They wear masks a lot more often. Just wear the ******* mask!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Mask wearing is clearly political.

Kroger in Bloomington=nearly everyone wearing mask. Kroger in Fishers=split with a slight lean towards wearing. Kroger in Crawfordsville=almost no one wearing a mask. 

If that is not the political and rural/urban divide mentioned above I don't know what is. FYI I always wear a mask in public when indoors.

8 hours ago, Aaron said:

Mask wearing is clearly political.

Kroger in Bloomington=nearly everyone wearing mask. Kroger in Fishers=split with a slight lean towards wearing. Kroger in Crawfordsville=almost no one wearing a mask. 

If that is not the political and rural/urban divide mentioned above I don't know what is. FYI I always wear a mask in public when indoors.

It is and it shouldn’t be. That’s the problem. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

It is and it shouldn’t be. That’s the problem. 

It is a BIG problem when dealing with this pandemic.  We all need to be on the same page.

The CDC came out yesterday and said that antibody tests have shown that the number of Covid cases is closer to 10x that of the reported number from tests. Like meaning mortality rate is closer to .002%. I feel like this info is not a bad thing. That being said, everyone stay safe and still continue to mask up.

The CDC came out yesterday and said that antibody tests have shown that the number of Covid cases is closer to 10x that of the reported number from tests. Like meaning mortality rate is closer to .002%. I feel like this info is not a bad thing. That being said, everyone stay safe and still continue to mask up.

Oh I think it’s great news. Obviously not surprised it was swept under the rug by national media though

14 minutes ago, jbell833 said:

How the world did you get that number. 

Approximately 2.5 million cases times 10. = 25 million. With 125,000 deaths. Equals a death every 200 people or a mortality rate of .5%