Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

3 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I haven’t read all these pages, But does anybody else feel like basketball season could be canceled again due to teams having to quarantine due to the players getting the virus? Just seems that every team out there could have one player test positive and the next game get canceled so on and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Depends on if members of the team have already had it. If I were IU or any school I would be testing the players for antibodies. 

17 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

So China claims to have only 349 active cases, while we have 1.2 million. 

I wonder what the Chinese fear more: the virus, or their own government. 

Obviously China hasn't been forthright from the beginning.  In terms of the United States active cases, those are not accurate.....basically a case becomes inactive when either a patient dies or when medically a state's department of health declares them as cleared.  Most people who have recovered have not had their cases moved to inactive even though they are no longer infected.

7 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I have a question and it by no means is start any arguments with anyone I'm just curious. Has anyone heard of anyone having a negative COVID test?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

As of today, there have been 28.8 million covid tests in the United States and there have been 2.4 million that were positive.....so there have been over 26 million negative tests in the U.S.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Nothing would make less sense than to cancel because of players getting the virus.  I drove for about 8 hours today and listened to sports radio almost the entire time.  It's hard to get away from the two big news items (race relations and COVID), so I just listened to several people and heard lots of viewpoints.  Dan Patrick, Doug Gottlieb, Wingo and Golic, Dakich, Rickard and Staysniak, and all of their guests.   One point came up time and again, and it was nice to hear :
The only stat that's up in the US is positive test results.  Everything else is way down.   Deaths/death rate, hospitalizations, ICU visits, etc. 
Also heard this and looked it up : In Indiana, only 4% of ventilators are currently being used for COVID patients, according to IN.gov.   According to the CDC, (copy paste) The overall cumulative COVID-19 associated hospitalization rate is 94.5 per 100,000 which is 0.00094%.  Larger point?  Hospitalizations, also according to the CDC, the cumulative hospitalization rate for people 17-22 years old is ~ 10 per 100,000 people. There are about 5200 D1 college basketball players, so the odds of even 1 (1 of the ~ 5200 total) player being hospitalized w COVID are about 2:1.  (Odds of a player being hospitalized with mono - according to University of Michigan microbiology dept)  are ~ 0.9:1 and odds of a player being hospitalized with the flu about 1.3:1 based on historical data)
Another stat discussed today was ~ 10% of COVID deaths were attributed to patients without a "severe 2nd co-morbidity."   Our immune systems can largely handle COVID like anything else .  Mononucleosis has - over time - a far greater hospitalization % than COVID does among college aged kids, and to be very honest people need to get sick so immune systems stay strong.   "Getting" COVID doesn't appear per the numbers to be any worse for the young or healthy than getting the flu.   As long as kids are kept on campus and with team mates, tested frequently and the proper precautions are taken, there is no justifiable reason to cancel any sports season.  That was the general consensus among talk show hosts and guests as well.  We are much better equipped to handle it than we were, we know who's truly vulnerable and young athletes generally are not, so getting it isn't a significant risk; so as long as those athletes are quarantined and tracking is monitored, sports should be just fine. (Queue.....well, I'll wait and see......)

That would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Nothing would make less sense than to cancel because of players getting the virus.  I drove for about 8 hours today and listened to sports radio almost the entire time.  It's hard to get away from the two big news items (race relations and COVID), so I just listened to several people and heard lots of viewpoints.  Dan Patrick, Doug Gottlieb, Wingo and Golic, Dakich, Rickard and Staysniak, and all of their guests.   One point came up time and again, and it was nice to hear :

The only stat that's up in the US is positive test results.  Everything else is way down.   Deaths/death rate, hospitalizations, ICU visits, etc. 

Also heard this and looked it up In Indiana, only 4% of ventilators are currently being used for COVID patients, according to IN.gov.   According to the CDC, (copy paste) The overall cumulative COVID-19 associated hospitalization rate is 94.5 per 100,000 which is 0.00094%.  Larger point?  Hospitalizations, also according to the CDC, the cumulative hospitalization rate for people 17-22 years old is ~ 10 per 100,000 people. There are about 5200 D1 college basketball players, so the odds of even 1 (1 of the ~ 5200 total) player being hospitalized w COVID are about 2:1.  (Odds of a player being hospitalized with mono - according to University of Michigan microbiology dept)  are ~ 0.9:1 and odds of a player being hospitalized with the flu about 1.3:1 based on historical data)

Another stat discussed today was ~ 10% of COVID deaths were attributed to patients without a "severe 2nd co-morbidity."   Our immune systems can largely handle COVID like anything else .  Mononucleosis has - over time - a far greater hospitalization % than COVID does among college aged kids, and to be very honest people need to get sick so immune systems stay strong.   "Getting" COVID doesn't appear per the numbers to be any worse for the young or healthy than getting the flu.   As long as kids are kept on campus and with team mates, tested frequently and the proper precautions are taken, there is no justifiable reason to cancel any sports season.  That was the general consensus among talk show hosts and guests as well.  We are much better equipped to handle it than we were, we know who's truly vulnerable and young athletes generally are not, so getting it isn't a significant risk; so as long as those athletes are quarantined and tracking is monitored, sports should be just fine. (Queue.....well, I'll wait and see......)

I stopped reading when you said 94.5 out of 10,000 is .00094%.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I stopped reading when you said 94.5 out of 10,000 is .00094%.

Perhaps I accidentally added a zero like you forgot one (see how easy that is?).  If you stopped reading over a typo, or something that simple?   That's absolutely your prerogative but doesn't change the point.   It always baffles me that so many people come here to attack, argue, and nitpick instead of just talk and have dialogue.   What's so wrong in your world that you'd make a comment like that in favor of the guts and meaning of an entire post?  I mean you took time to post a wise @$$ comment.  Why?  

3 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Perhaps I accidentally added a zero like you forgot one (see how easy that is?).  If you stopped reading over a typo, or something that simple?   That's absolutely your prerogative but doesn't change the point.   It always baffles me that so many people come here to attack, argue, and nitpick instead of just talk and have dialogue.   What's so wrong in your world that you'd make a comment like that in favor of the guts and meaning of an entire post?  I mean you took time to post a wise @$$ comment.  Why?  

I’ve read enough of your ramblings to know I don’t take your diatribes seriously,  You don’t want dialogue.  You want a soap box and a megaphone.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

If the hospitalization rate for Covid is 94.5 per 100,000 then less than 3000 people would have been hospitalized in the US

I believe he was saying 94.5 people out of 100,000 people in the population, not for 100,000 positive tests.  That would project out to a number much higher than 3000 hospitalizations.  

Sorry for the crankiness, but I simply can’t get beyond the fact that we continually dwarf the projections for the number of deaths by seeming to accept that the drop we have seen is acceptable.  Every week those projections go up as more and more people don’t take it seriously.  In early May tgdd Ed projection the White House cited for August 30th was 130,000 deaths.  We are going to blow by that by July 4th. 

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

39,103 new cases today, the most since the pandemic began. 

Man, imagine if all this excessive testing had been available back in April...

And if people would choose to just wear a damn mask rather than telling government officials to go to hell maybe we could have slowed it down. 

52 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And if people would choose to just wear a damn mask rather than telling government officials to go to hell maybe we could have slowed it down. 

It is amazing how so many people are adamant about not wearing one.