Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

1 hour ago, Napleshoosier said:

A lot more testing is being done. A friend of mines daughter goes to u of cinny and lives with 7 other girls. Well, they have been having party’s and for whatever reason one of them got tested and was positive so 40 of them decided to get tested and 38 were positive with no symptoms. I think this is far more prevalent than most think. Jmo

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Anecdotal evidence for the win.

Yes testing is going up. % of total positive tests would meaningful stat here if you are trying to claim the nominal increase is the result of more testing.  

On 6/13/2020 at 5:06 PM, Napleshoosier said:

A lot more testing is being done. A friend of mines daughter goes to u of cinny and lives with 7 other girls. Well, they have been having party’s and for whatever reason one of them got tested and was positive so 40 of them decided to get tested and 38 were positive with no symptoms. I think this is far more prevalent than most think. Jmo

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I think it might be possible they got tested because someone tested positive thus causing 'contact tracing' among your daughter's friend being exposed.  Of course I'm just guessing here and don't really have a clue what the policy is at the state level of Ohio and/or the local hospital level.  But if I had to guess that's the reason for the testing.  Again just a complete guess.  Do you know the reason why the first positive case was tested in the first place?  I think that's the heart of the issue among many locations here in the US.  Where I live, southwestern Indiana, folks are still being turned away from testing.  

Six Texas players have tested positive for COVID-19 and at least 15 players are now in quarantine due to contact tracing, a source close to the situation told Horns247.com.

The Longhorns tested roughly half the football team for COVID-19 last week in preparation for voluntary workouts beginning on campus June 15, resulting in two positive tests for COVID-19 and another player who tested positive for the antibodies.

This week, the other half of the team underwent testing on Monday and Tuesday, resulting in four more positive tests for COVID-19, the source said. Because of contract tracing - determining who the infected person has most recently been in contact with - at least 15 players were in quarantine as of Wednesday morning, the source said.

In documents obtained by Horns247 last week, the Longhorns' return to campus included "extensive education" pertaining to the new protocols UT officials have put in place to continuously practice social distancing.

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte has said Texas expected to have players test positive for COVID-19 and that the protocols laid out by UT ahead of time, including the testing of players in three, separate groups, was designed to keep players who test positive from coming in contact with all of their teammates.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Six Texas players have tested positive for COVID-19 and at least 15 players are now in quarantine due to contact tracing, a source close to the situation told Horns247.com.

The Longhorns tested roughly half the football team for COVID-19 last week in preparation for voluntary workouts beginning on campus June 15, resulting in two positive tests for COVID-19 and another player who tested positive for the antibodies.

This week, the other half of the team underwent testing on Monday and Tuesday, resulting in four more positive tests for COVID-19, the source said. Because of contract tracing - determining who the infected person has most recently been in contact with - at least 15 players were in quarantine as of Wednesday morning, the source said.

In documents obtained by Horns247 last week, the Longhorns' return to campus included "extensive education" pertaining to the new protocols UT officials have put in place to continuously practice social distancing.

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte has said Texas expected to have players test positive for COVID-19 and that the protocols laid out by UT ahead of time, including the testing of players in three, separate groups, was designed to keep players who test positive from coming in contact with all of their teammates.

Much better to test now and isolate and contact trace to hopefully have an outbreak later.  Sounds like Texas is doing it the right way testing everyone unlike Houston who tested only symptomatic people. If this is to work we need to do exactly as the Longhorns are doing and hopefully nip it in bud.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:48 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Bump that number now to 13 players. Instead of a playoff, the NC this year will be determined by which school can still field a team in November.

Here is the reality: We either have to suspend sports until there is a vaccine or stop making a federal case after every time athletes test positive. 

We can't keep having it where we are trying to start sports and then freak out every time a player tests positives. Either we have to live with it and treat it like an injury and quarantine the positive or not have it. Period.

Ryan Phillips said it best in this article:

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/13-texas-football-players-test-positive-covid-19-01eb4tgd6yhq 

Here is the reality: We either have to suspend sports until there is a vaccine or stop making a federal case after every time athletes test positive. 
We can't keep having it where we are trying to start sports and then freak out every time a player tests positives. Either we have to live with it and treat it like an injury and quarantine the positive or not have it. Period.
Ryan Phillips said it best in this article:
https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/13-texas-football-players-test-positive-covid-19-01eb4tgd6yhq 

I don’t pay much mind to it so I really don’t know the answer but are people really freaking out about positive tests? I mean, there have been millions rest positive. Do we believe that somehow athletes are immune to it?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

31 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I don’t pay much mind to it so I really don’t know the answer but are people really freaking out about positive tests? I mean, there have been millions rest positive. Do we believe that somehow athletes are immune to it?

The way the media is treating every positive test you would think its the plague. I am not anti-media, but the way they are treating positive tests is overdone and then the trolls on social media run with it as if the world is ending or its overblown and the flu. The truth is probably in between. 

You could also argue getting sports teams back together and testing them is saving many lives. Most of these positive tests are asymptomatic athletes so now they are quarantining them until they test negative.

Without these tests these athletes walk around and could spread it to others. This is thousands of people who could of otherwise spread it who now won't. 

For me, testing is way up and now available to anyone who wants it (I think). That may explain positives going up while the death rate is trending down. 

That also means that if testing remains equally readily available over a few weeks the positive rate should start to go down. if it doesn’t? That’s not good.

For me, testing is way up and now available to anyone who wants it (I think). That may explain positives going up while the death rate is trending down. 
That also means that if testing remains equally readily available over a few weeks the positive rate should start to go down. if it doesn’t? That’s not good.

The physicians I discuss this with say the virulence of the virus is decreasing at astonishing rates as most viruses do. It’s not in the viruses best interest to kill its host.

So either the virulence is decreasing at this rate or the expansion of testing shows the virulence was always lower than expected.

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The physicians I discuss this with say the virulence of the virus is decreasing at astonishing rates as most viruses do. It’s not in the viruses best interest to kill its host.

So either the virulence is decreasing at this rate or the expansion of testing shows the virulence was always lower than expected.

How the heck does that happen biologically?

The same virus infects people who haven’t had it yet but it’s progressively less harmful? 

Does the virus change in its structure?

Whoosh! You just went over my head with “science-ey” talk that my lawyerly brain does not understand. lol 

RNA viruses replicate at very fast rates and are very error prone. These mutations lead to lots of changes of the virus. The most virulent of strains will not allow its host much time to spread it. The lesser virulent strains are more likely to be passed along as its carriers survive and less symptomatic.

If you trust all the positive tests, the virulence is lessening all the time.

18 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The lesser virulent strains are more likely to be passed along as its carriers survive and less symptomatic.

This is the key phrase. The prime directive of every living creature is to get it's genes as far into the future as possible. A virus that kills its host doesn't survive very long.