Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

15 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Much of what you’ve heard before. But this is a respected hospital physician on the Covid task force.

1. Fort Wayne never had it bad. Very few on ventilators. Many still hospitalized (funding) that shouldn’t be.
2. Death rates decreasing exponentially. Within a percent of the Flu. Zero diagnosed pediatric cases.
3. Schools should have never been closed.
4. People struggling are people that struggle with cold/flu. Elderly, Obese, diabetics, preexisting lung conditions.
5. The new findings regarding its spread are more accurate.
6. Doesn’t think quarantine was ever warranted in Indiana. Isn’t scared of the virus in the slightest. Use common sense. Wash hands, etc.

He lives it. He sees it. He is involved in treatment. He isn’t worried. We didn’t get into the “death toll” stuff specifically, but he did say people putting off treatment for 2 months has been the most harmful effects of the entire epidemic.

This is a first hand account in Fort Wayne of a respected physician who is very involved.

We didn’t get into politics.

The reality of the situation is that COVID-19 is the #1 cause of death here in the states and that's with a quarantine.  Did you talk to the physician about that in particular?  Because I would think the respected physician fully understands how a newly introduced exponential virus works. (Meaning the lack of information and knowledge of it along with the rate of infection.)  In my opinion, to simply say a quarantine wasn't warranted in Indiana is questionable and almost malpractice in his/her profession.  Also did you discuss the testing situation?  

I read that 22 starts are seeing cases spike, that's not good.

Yeah I would agree. I don’t see us shutting down again once we get started. My company is definitely taking a cautious approach but we have thousands in each office. We couldn’t afford for one office to become infected.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, mdn82 said:

Yeah I would agree. I don’t see us shutting down again once we get started. My company is definitely taking a cautious approach but we have thousands in each office. We couldn’t afford for one office to become infected.

It's a race between

1. second wave with need to shut-down, and
  2. vaccine 

I'm afraid to guess which will win.

5 hours ago, mdn82 said:

AZ not looking good at all right now, deaths and hospitalizations have jumped sharply the last couple weeks.  Saw somewhere that their daily new cases reported has increased over 200% the last 2 weeks.

AZ not looking good at all right now, deaths and hospitalizations have jumped sharply the last couple weeks.  Saw somewhere that their daily new cases reported has increased over 200% the last 2 weeks.

Yeah man I am so hopeful to go visit family in Florida this summer. I just don’t know. I just worry about picking something up and passing on to my grandma if I were to go down. I would be fine (most likely), but others I care about maybe not so much.

2 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yeah man I am so hopeful to go visit family in Florida this summer. I just don’t know. I just worry about picking something up and passing on to my grandma if I were to go down. I would be fine (most likely), but others I care about maybe not so much.

CA has seen an increase, though not as dramatic, as has TX and SC and FL.  Some of it would be more testing, but they're even seeing hospitalizations increase.  Still a bit early to see the impact of protests, but I won't be surprised to see numbers go up more when that's accounted for.  Too early to say it's a second wave, but could be the beginning stages.

I've got a friend that's a hairdresser and her daughter has asthma, and I know that scares her.  Her salon is following precautions, but her daughter could get exposed anywhere and already having asthma would only make it worse.

I would not say numbers going up in some places is 'second wave' as much as we never really ended first wave. At this point I don't think there is much we can do to shut down country as right leaning states won't do it again and it does no good for left leaning states to close on their own unless we shut down borders between states.

At this point Corona Virus is on pace to kill more Americans this year than anything besides Heart Disease and Cancer (over 600K) with 300-400k deaths this year. Ironically I know a couple people recently who have died of cancer and heart attacks but none from Covid but that is a coincidence for sure and I am sure I will know someone soon (I know people who have gotten it).

Doing some math based on numbers, we are on page for 8 million official cases this year or roughly 2.5 percent of country. The average person knows 600 people I recently read so with that ratio each person on average will know 12-15 people who get it of which 1-2 will die this year. Obviously this is highly variable based on who you hang out with, but these would be the average of how deeply it will affect each person.

I am not sure what the answer is here as another lock down does not seem to do much and people don't follow it but everyone needs to be more careful than they are and take precautions and social distance better. Each person knows the risk and is making a choice how comfortable they are being around people with Covid out there. 

21 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

It's a race between

1. second wave with need to shut-down, and
  2. vaccine 

I'm afraid to guess which will win.

From what I understand throughout the entire history of vaccines for infectious diseases there has never been an industrial scale in 18 months.  Vaccine development is usually measured in years, not months.  The typical vaccine takes between eight to 10 years to develop.  And an 18 month timeline involves not looking at ALL the data.  The industry is taking new approaches for this vaccine and it's not dotting the i's and crossing the t's.  

This is why I mentioned in earlier posts a need for competent leadership.  In my opinion, it's crucial to set truthful expectations to the nation because we're going to start witnessing some volatile folk, much worse than the current situation.  And man, do I hope I'm wrong.  

The University of Houston Department of Athletics is suspending all voluntary workouts for student-athletes. The decision comes after six symptomatic UH student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19 along with the increase in the number of positive tests in the Houston area.

Of note: Houston did not conduct COVID-19 tests as athletes returned to campus last week. Plans are to only test if a player shows symptoms.

5 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The University of Houston Department of Athletics is suspending all voluntary workouts for student-athletes. The decision comes after six symptomatic UH student-athletes tested positive for COVID-19 along with the increase in the number of positive tests in the Houston area.

Of note: Houston did not conduct COVID-19 tests as athletes returned to campus last week. Plans are to only test if a player shows symptoms.

They only planned to test if symptoms showed for a disease that’s notorious for being contagious without showing symptoms. Well done administrators. Well done 

33 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Houston is not run by an Einstein.

If we are going to have practices and get back to sports we need to test each athlete regularly regardless and country has enough tests now (as well as PPE). If Houston or any other team or school is to stupid to do this those teams can sit the season out and not ruin it for the rest who are testing intelligently.

For some reason cases are spiking in some states and declining in others without much rhyme or reason. Some of the states who locked down most strictly are seeing increases and some who locked down less time are not. Indiana is steady or down along with a bunch of other states, but some states are really spiking again and its not always the ones who were the least strict. Covid is not spreading in any logical way but randomly which is kind of scary. 

A lot more testing is being done. A friend of mines daughter goes to u of cinny and lives with 7 other girls. Well, they have been having party’s and for whatever reason one of them got tested and was positive so 40 of them decided to get tested and 38 were positive with no symptoms. I think this is far more prevalent than most think. Jmo

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Napleshoosier said:

A lot more testing is being done. A friend of mines daughter goes to u of cinny and lives with 7 other girls. Well, they have been having party’s and for whatever reason one of them got tested and was positive so 40 of them decided to get tested and 38 were positive with no symptoms. I think this is far more prevalent than most think. Jmo

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

That is good and bad. Obviously in a lot of ways we do not wanting it spreading so easily, but if this many people are getting it asymptotically it means it is less damaging and deadly to most and a lot more wide spread.

One very positive thing I know for a fact is we no longer have a shortage of tests or PPE. Beyond that a lot of unknowns.