Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

While we're at it. Our is used to express possession not are. Also to=in addition, too=excess. These are enormous pet peeves of mine and when I see people that sure suggest they are above my intelligence level use them incorrectly it makes me laugh.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

What's better is their retort that says "attacking grammar means you have no point."   Well..no.  It means I don't take you seriously and don't think much of your intellect.  

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

While we're at it. Our is used to express possession not are. Also to=in addition, too=excess. These are enormous pet peeves of mine and when I see people that sure suggest they are above my intelligence level use them incorrectly it makes me laugh.

I just want people to stop referring to FCS football teams as D-2. 

i.e. "IU needs to stop playing Eastern Illinois, Indiana State and all these other D-2 teams every year." 

13 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

What's better is their retort that says "attacking grammar means you have no point."   Well..no.  It means I don't take you seriously and don't think much of your intellect.  

If not taking you seriously and questioning intellect led to whining about Grammar this entire board would mock yours.  

instead we mock the substance of what you say because there’s no substance and only ridiculous whataboutism and over simplified nonsense. 

56 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

He shouldn't have spoke so confidently about South Carolina; they just reported nearly 550 new cases on Monday, the most in a single day since the pandemic started.  Health officials said it's likely a combination of testing and loosening restrictions.

Multiple states are seeing cases go back up, including AZ and NC; FL has had over 1,000 new cases in 6 of the last 7 days.  I'd imagine a combination of more testing and restrictions loosening.  Some areas of the country are seeing decreases though.

Facts that don’t agree with their opinions are just fake news. 

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

Don’t know if you are referring to me with that but I will say my phone for some reason auto corrects our to are.  Changes gave to have also. No clue why but don’t always catch it. So if you are talking about somebody else that might explain the our vs are thing. 

The your thing I don’t really care about.  It’s an internet message board not a term paper. Besides 80% of my posting is done while I’m hiding during hide and seek. Not going to take the time to proofread it like a term paper.  

31 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I talked to hospital physicians today in Fort Wayne who are part of the CoVid task force. Anyone want to know their opinion? Many of you won’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Would love to know their opinions!  

41 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I talked to hospital physicians today in Fort Wayne who are part of the CoVid task force. Anyone want to know their opinion? Many of you won’t like it.

Well, if that's not click bait I don't know what is.   :107:

Don't keep us in suspense Doc.

Total COVID-19 cases in Indiana now over 38,000

https://fortwaynesnbc.com/2020/06/09/total-covid-19-cases-in-indiana-now-over-38000/

(Via Fort Wayne's NBC)

I thought this was a pretty decent breakdown with images to show where we are in Indiana on the curve. They do this daily. That is also not my headline either.

Bottom line is, none of us really know who or what to believe. Our sources are all over the place. We can't even get medical experts and leading health organizations aligned! I know we've been beaten to death by this statement, but We're all in this together! Be safe and use your own judgment. 

Go IU!

PS-  On a good note,  Methodists Covid patients #'s are way down 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Politically-driven scheme to influence the election in November? 

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

If not taking you seriously and questioning intellect led to whining about Grammar this entire board would mock yours.  

instead we mock the substance of what you say because there’s no substance and only ridiculous whataboutism and over simplified nonsense. 

Is "Grammar" capitalized for a reason?   Put down the shovel, dude.   

It's funny....you pretend to speak for other people, and pretend to believe what "they" would do.  A classic case of a severe social anxiety disorder.   You're on an island.  You don't present anything but your own bile and spew narratives as if they're truth; but you usually do it in record time.   I guess that's something.    Why don't you just leave me alone?   I know....it would detract from your post count, which I would bet is important to you, but you might try taking ab breath and learning to live with the fact that some people just aren't going to appeal to you and you don't always have to point it out.  When you mis-use words and capitalize when you don't need to; you're awfully difficult to take seriously.   You don't want me to go back and re-post your garbage, do you?   A little self reflection would do you some good, stalker.

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Facts that don’t agree with their opinions are just fake news. 

Do me a favor.  Here's my post word for word.   What did I present here as "news?"   Opinion is allowed, right?  Unless you're a stalker with an agenda.  Which...well, you are.   But go through this and let me know what's so offensive to you.  Seriously...what's your issue, dude?   When I wrote it, I had no idea about the increase in numbers in SC, but that doesn't change what's happening there.   "Spoke too soon" is that great of an offense?   Seriously, man.  Get a grip on yourself.  Nobody wants to read your personal crap, but I'm sure as hell not going to let you do it without rebuttal.   Here you go....what in the hell is your issue?  

Edit :  Harvard seems to agree with what I said below about when COVID originated.  Just a bunch of whataboutism, probably.  They're just Ivy League.  They should probably listen to a guy who can't spell and blames it on auto-correct.  Funny how nobody else has that problem.

1)  Pulling out of the WHO (I believe it's temporary) was a good move until that organization actually bases what it does on "health" instead of politics and money.   I believe the move was designed to  provide an avenue for new leadership which is "pro-west" rather than "pro-China."   Any organization that takes its (or any of its) orders from communist leaders is not one the US needs to support.   Especially one that so clearly covered up COVID as China did.  Some of you can crucify me, and I bet some will.

2)  I just came home from a trip to South Carolina.  Wide open.  Beaches, restaurants (though some with seating outside), carriage tours, some bars w live music, very few masks.....and no outbreak.  No spike.   

3)  No spike so far even with protests happening for 2+ weeks.  In fact, according to Johns Hopkins map, which is where I get my data, yesterday was the lowest "positive cases" day in the US since March 25th, the "curve" has been flat since late April; and we're testing over 30x more people than we were then.  Anyone with a functioning brain can make that logical correlation.  

4)  When it comes to transmission, I don't think anyone truly knows.  I saw something a week ago that said along with prior respiratory conditions, it was a protein enzyme in blood that determines whether or not a person is vulnerable or not.

5)  ER docs early on had no idea how to treat it so they put everyone "critical" on a vent.  Turned out to be the wrong move.  Doctors now know how to treat it, and the medical system is just fine, now.  In most cases?  "Here's some acetaminophen, stay hydrated, get some rest but also get on your feet, and call me if it gets worse."  That is the treatment now.   So we're staying closed for treatment that's almost identical to a bad cold.  We have 40k-60k dead every year from the flu, and we HAVE a vaccine for the flu.  If we didn't?  How many dead would there be every year?    Again, that logic tells me this isn't even as bad as the flu except in "some" people.  So, determining who comprises that group of "some" seems to be of utmost import, now.

6)  Based on conversations with some friends who are doctors and nurses?  This thing has mutated a few times and is now pretty weak, overall.  That's why ICU visits are far fewer and hospital stays are far shorter.  I just don't think we're dealing with a lethal killer; and death rate has dropped, even with flawed numbers (attributed and assumed deaths). I also think it's been around far longer than January 21st, and I think our immune systems by and large have done and are doing well dealing with it.  All based on personal experience and conversations with medical people.

I'm done with the fear.  I'm done with the shaming of not always wearing a mask (on a walk in my neighborhood.,...sorry.  Not happening.)  I'm done believing there are ANY "experts" on this, including Dr. Fauci.  I think we have lots of anecdotal evidence on some things, I think personal experience counts.  I think the several friends I have who have diagnosed positive and had mild symptoms (same is true for all of you and anyone else with the same experience) counts toward an educated opinion. And I for one man think keeping everything closed any longer is foolish.   At some point, elected officials aren't expert on anything either, and while we need to protect the vulnerable;  I think it's time to smartly get back to normal.

Edited by Old Friend

Do me a favor.  Here's my post word for word.   What did I present here as "news?"   Opinion is allowed, right?  Unless you're a stalker with an agenda.  Which...well, you are.   But go through this and let me know what's so offensive to you.  Seriously...what's your issue, dude?   When I wrote it, I had no idea about the increase in numbers in SC, but that doesn't change what's happening there.   "Spoke too soon" is that great of an offense?   Seriously, man.  Get a grip on yourself.  Nobody wants to read your personal crap, but I'm sure as hell not going to let you do it without rebuttal.   Here you go....what in the hell is your issue?  

Edit :  Harvard seems to agree with what I said below about when COVID originated.  Just a bunch of whataboutism, probably.  They're just Ivy League.  They should probably listen to a guy who can't spell and blames it on auto-correct.  Funny how nobody else has that problem.

1)  Pulling out of the WHO (I believe it's temporary) was a good move until that organization actually bases what it does on "health" instead of politics and money.   I believe the move was designed to  provide an avenue for new leadership which is "pro-west" rather than "pro-China."   Any organization that takes its (or any of its) orders from communist leaders is not one the US needs to support.   Especially one that so clearly covered up COVID as China did.  Some of you can crucify me, and I bet some will.

2)  I just came home from a trip to South Carolina.  Wide open.  Beaches, restaurants (though some with seating outside), carriage tours, some bars w live music, very few masks.....and no outbreak.  No spike.   

3)  No spike so far even with protests happening for 2+ weeks.  In fact, according to Johns Hopkins map, which is where I get my data, yesterday was the lowest "positive cases" day in the US since March 25th, the "curve" has been flat since late April; and we're testing over 30x more people than we were then.  Anyone with a functioning brain can make that logical correlation.  

4)  When it comes to transmission, I don't think anyone truly knows.  I saw something a week ago that said along with prior respiratory conditions, it was a protein enzyme in blood that determines whether or not a person is vulnerable or not.

5)  ER docs early on had no idea how to treat it so they put everyone "critical" on a vent.  Turned out to be the wrong move.  Doctors now know how to treat it, and the medical system is just fine, now.  In most cases?  "Here's some acetaminophen, stay hydrated, get some rest but also get on your feet, and call me if it gets worse."  That is the treatment now.   So we're staying closed for treatment that's almost identical to a bad cold.  We have 40k-60k dead every year from the flu, and we HAVE a vaccine for the flu.  If we didn't?  How many dead would there be every year?    Again, that logic tells me this isn't even as bad as the flu except in "some" people.  So, determining who comprises that group of "some" seems to be of utmost import, now.

6)  Based on conversations with some friends who are doctors and nurses?  This thing has mutated a few times and is now pretty weak, overall.  That's why ICU visits are far fewer and hospital stays are far shorter.  I just don't think we're dealing with a lethal killer; and death rate has dropped, even with flawed numbers (attributed and assumed deaths). I also think it's been around far longer than January 21st, and I think our immune systems by and large have done and are doing well dealing with it.  All based on personal experience and conversations with medical people.

I'm done with the fear.  I'm done with the shaming of not always wearing a mask (on a walk in my neighborhood.,...sorry.  Not happening.)  I'm done believing there are ANY "experts" on this, including Dr. Fauci.  I think we have lots of anecdotal evidence on some things, I think personal experience counts.  I think the several friends I have who have diagnosed positive and had mild symptoms (same is true for all of you and anyone else with the same experience) counts toward an educated opinion. And I for one man think keeping everything closed any longer is foolish.   At some point, elected officials aren't expert on anything either, and while we need to protect the vulnerable;  I think it's time to smartly get back to normal.

Co-sign

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

So has anyone else’s school district offered the choice of virtual or in school for next school year K-12?

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Much of what you’ve heard before. But this is a respected hospital physician on the Covid task force.

1. Fort Wayne never had it bad. Very few on ventilators. Many still hospitalized (funding) that shouldn’t be.
2. Death rates decreasing exponentially. Within a percent of the Flu. Zero diagnosed pediatric cases.
3. Schools should have never been closed.
4. People struggling are people that struggle with cold/flu. Elderly, Obese, diabetics, preexisting lung conditions.
5. The new findings regarding its spread are more accurate.
6. Doesn’t think quarantine was ever warranted in Indiana. Isn’t scared of the virus in the slightest. Use common sense. Wash hands, etc.

He lives it. He sees it. He is involved in treatment. He isn’t worried. We didn’t get into the “death toll” stuff specifically, but he did say people putting off treatment for 2 months has been the most harmful effects of the entire epidemic.

This is a first hand account in Fort Wayne of a respected physician who is very involved.

We didn’t get into politics.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Same thing I here at home, with someone on the front lines at Methodist. 

4 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

Bonus from the Riley doctor - apparently kids have been eating more magnets lately? Surprisingly, that is extremely dangerous. For those with small kids - keep an eye out.

I find the occasional magnet to be delicious.     ;)

12 minutes ago, Chips&Dipo said:

I also have a lot of friends who are physicians and actually had dinner with three of them on Monday. Two of them are docs in Chicago and one in Indy. Here are some things that they said:

1. Socially distancing was and is the most effective way to prevent spread until we figure this thing out. They really harped on the fact we still don't know a lot about it, because it can be deadly for people (mostly people in high risk groups) in a number of ways.

2. Second spike is likely given the lax attitude people have been having and the protests. They are afraid that the genie will be hard to get back in the bottle when we get hit again. The two Chicago friends are especially nervous because they will be moving to New York next week for their new jobs. They are also really worried because if/when we get a second spike that means it will be COVID season, flu season (which also really stinks for medical folks), and likely another COVID.

Side note - The Chicago friends were supposed to get married two weeks ago and I was to officiate. 

3. Kids seem to be carriers. The Indy doctor works at Riley. She said that while she didn't treat any kids for COVID - she did have patients that ended up having it, not show symptoms, and it appears that they spread it to family members. That being said, they think schools need to open back up in some capacity with social distancing. The benefit of the social distancing is grossly outweighed by the poor education some students have received. I was told that this really shows the gap in socioecomic status for some kids and how it effects their education. Contribution from a teacher friend who was also there. We also touched on how some parts of the state and country don't have internet and you can't just say "e-learning!".

Other points:

Regarding Methodist - my neighbor is a Hospitalist at Methodist and she said that things are a LOT better, but she was telling us some horror stories back in April. She agrees that things should open back up, but also believes that this has been around since January (something I have been hearing a lot). Echos that a second spike is likely.

From my perspective - I am an attorney for IU Health and things are starting to look more "normal" from a work perspective. Our COVID task force disbanded about three weeks ago and we will start allowing more visitation next week. That being said, we are anticipating a second wave and have really thought about how we will open back up. We are slowly allowing for more elective surgeries because we don't want to use all of our PPE and it looks like I will be working from home until further notice. 

Bonus from the Riley doctor - apparently kids have been eating more magnets lately? Surprisingly, that is extremely dangerous. For those with small kids - keep an eye out.

New username receives the Hova Stamp of Approval. 

All I know is Lincoln Financial isn’t opening up for employees to come into the office before October 1st due to various health departments and the governments urging. My kids of all ages were offered to do their schooling through their school district virtually all next school year. I live next to Allen County and we usually follow their lead. That’s my reality of the situation.