Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Whether or not the WHO has any credibility or not is up to your discretion, but they recently stated that it is "very uncommon" for asymptomatic people with COVID to pass it to others. IMO most places should open back up fairly quickly

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2020/06/08/who-says-asymptomatic-spread-of-coronavirus-very-rare-but-experts-raise-questions/amp/

Hopefully they come out with clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

WHO also said it's not a get out of jail free card, which should be mentioned.

That article does raise a good question though.

WHO also said it's not a get out of jail free card, which should be mentioned.
That article does raise a good question though.

Honestly if we pulled out completely of the WHO I have no clue if we even listen to them or who we even do right now?

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Just because a member of an organization says something doesn’t mean it’s the organizations official position.  That professor Rasmussen at Kelley doesn’t speak for IU or the Kelley school.  Joe doesn’t speak for us as a community.  

But it was based on data, not just a position:

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing. They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

6 minutes ago, bigrod said:

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing. They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

One member does not speak for an institution regardless of data they are using 

And that’s where the confusion starts. In the past they have used asymptomatic and presympotmatic interchangeably. They aren’t the same. Models here have shown as much as a 40%-60% transmission rate in true asymptomatic cases. So that means it has been seen and recognized here. I hope when Fauci comes to his next presser he sheds light on that for us.

1)  Pulling out of the WHO (I believe it's temporary) was a good move until that organization actually bases what it does on "health" instead of politics and money.   I believe the move was designed to  provide an avenue for new leadership which is "pro-west" rather than "pro-China."   Any organization that takes its (or any of its) orders from communist leaders is not one the US needs to support.   Especially one that so clearly covered up COVID as China did.  Some of you can crucify me, and I bet some will.

2)  I just came home from a trip to South Carolina.  Wide open.  Beaches, restaurants (though some with seating outside), carriage tours, some bars w live music, very few masks.....and no outbreak.  No spike.   

3)  No spike so far even with protests happening for 2+ weeks.  In fact, according to Johns Hopkins map, which is where I get my data, yesterday was the lowest "positive cases" day in the US since March 25th, the "curve" has been flat since late April; and we're testing over 30x more people than we were then.  Anyone with a functioning brain can make that logical correlation.  

4)  When it comes to transmission, I don't think anyone truly knows.  I saw something a week ago that said along with prior respiratory conditions, it was a protein enzyme in blood that determines whether or not a person is vulnerable or not.

5)  ER docs early on had no idea how to treat it so they put everyone "critical" on a vent.  Turned out to be the wrong move.  Doctors now know how to treat it, and the medical system is just fine, now.  In most cases?  "Here's some acetaminophen, stay hydrated, get some rest but also get on your feet, and call me if it gets worse."  That is the treatment now.   So we're staying closed for treatment that's almost identical to a bad cold.  We have 40k-60k dead every year from the flu, and we HAVE a vaccine for the flu.  If we didn't?  How many dead would there be every year?    Again, that logic tells me this isn't even as bad as the flu except in "some" people.  So, determining who comprises that group of "some" seems to be of utmost import, now.

6)  Based on conversations with some friends who are doctors and nurses?  This thing has mutated a few times and is now pretty weak, overall.  That's why ICU visits are far fewer and hospital stays are far shorter.  I just don't think we're dealing with a lethal killer; and death rate has dropped, even with flawed numbers (attributed and assumed deaths). I also think it's been around far longer than January 21st, and I think our immune systems by and large have done and are doing well dealing with it.  All based on personal experience and conversations with medical people.

I'm done with the fear.  I'm done with the shaming of not always wearing a mask (on a walk in my neighborhood.,...sorry.  Not happening.)  I'm done believing there are ANY "experts" on this, including Dr. Fauci.  I think we have lots of anecdotal evidence on some things, I think personal experience counts.  I think the several friends I have who have diagnosed positive and had mild symptoms (same is true for all of you and anyone else with the same experience) counts toward an educated opinion. And I for one man think keeping everything closed any longer is foolish.   At some point, elected officials aren't expert on anything either, and while we need to protect the vulnerable;  I think it's time to smartly get back to normal.

Just now, Old Friend said:

1)  Pulling out of the WHO (I believe it's temporary) was a good move until that organization actually bases what it does on "health" instead of politics and money.   I believe the move was designed to  provide an avenue for new leadership which is "pro-west" rather than "pro-China."   Any organization that takes its (or any of its) orders from communist leaders is not one the US needs to support.   Especially one that so clearly covered up COVID as China did.  Some of you can crucify me, and I bet some will.

2)  I just came home from a trip to South Carolina.  Wide open.  Beaches, restaurants (though some with seating outside), carriage tours, some bars w live music, very few masks.....and no outbreak.  No spike.   

3)  No spike so far even with protests happening for 2+ weeks.  In fact, according to Johns Hopkins map, which is where I get my data, yesterday was the lowest "positive cases" day in the US since March 25th, the "curve" has been flat since late April; and we're testing over 30x more people than we were then.  Anyone with a functioning brain can make that logical correlation.  

4)  When it comes to transmission, I don't think anyone truly knows.  I saw something a week ago that said along with prior respiratory conditions, it was a protein enzyme in blood that determines whether or not a person is vulnerable or not.

5)  ER docs early on had no idea how to treat it so they put everyone "critical" on a vent.  Turned out to be the wrong move.  Doctors now know how to treat it, and the medical system is just fine, now.  In most cases?  "Here's some acetaminophen, stay hydrated, get some rest but also get on your feet, and call me if it gets worse."  That is the treatment now.   So we're staying closed for treatment that's almost identical to a bad cold.  We have 40k-60k dead every year from the flu, and we HAVE a vaccine for the flu.  If we didn't?  How many dead would there be every year?    Again, that logic tells me this isn't even as bad as the flu except in "some" people.  So, determining who comprises that group of "some" seems to be of utmost import, now.

6)  Based on conversations with some friends who are doctors and nurses?  This thing has mutated a few times and is now pretty weak, overall.  That's why ICU visits are far fewer and hospital stays are far shorter.  I just don't think we're dealing with a lethal killer; and death rate has dropped, even with flawed numbers (attributed and assumed deaths). I also think it's been around far longer than January 21st, and I think our immune systems by and large have done and are doing well dealing with it.  All based on personal experience and conversations with medical people.

I'm done with the fear.  I'm done with the shaming of not always wearing a mask (on a walk in my neighborhood.,...sorry.  Not happening.)  I'm done believing there are ANY "experts" on this, including Dr. Fauci.  I think we have lots of anecdotal evidence on some things, I think personal experience counts.  I think the several friends I have who have diagnosed positive and had mild symptoms (same is true for all of you and anyone else with the same experience) counts toward an educated opinion. And I for one man think keeping everything closed any longer is foolish.   At some point, 

Lol. I’m not going to believe experts anecdotal evidence is just as good. 

You haven’t changed your mind on anything and stop pretending like you have. Your actions and views are the exact same you are just using different reasons to justify your already existing behavior. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not to mention this is full of blatant falsehoods. Sorta like rods claim there’s no vaccine for SARS. 

Who needs facts when you can just make up lies to validate your opinion 

You are absolutely incorrect. I never made that claim. YOU need to validate your "facts."

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol. I’m not going to believe experts anecdotal evidence is just as good. 

You haven’t changed your mind on anything and stop pretending like you have. Your actions and views are the exact same you are just using different reasons to justify your already existing behavior. 

Stalker, you are as predictable as the sunrise.  I almost named you specifically.    You have never one time contributed anything of substance or requiring use of your brain.  Please just block me or go away.  I don't think anyone gives a sh*t about your personal problems with me or your obvious lack of simple logic.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:44 AM, bigrod said:

To me, the bigger question is why are we not studying this more when it has been shown to work for similar viruses in the past? Instead, the powers that be are pushing for a vaccine. Coronaviruses have been around since the '60's and there hasn't been a successful vaccine yet. So instead of testing a possible solution that already exists, we are counting on a RNA modifying vaccine for a virus (first time ever) that has been wildly unsuccessful in animal trials. Why?

I get the whole idea that these have to be trialed in double blind studies to prove their effectiveness and that people with political or financial ties should not be trusted. Let's just make sure we use the same criteria when the vaccine comes out. Will there be a double blind study? Will all of the government officials and advisors that have financial interests suddenly be ignored?

SARs is Coronavirus