Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

WOW!  No posts in this thread since last Friday.  I hope that's a good thing.

One of my hobbies is tracing ancestors and I saw this in one of the many genealogy sites I follow.    From the Elkhart (IN) Truth in December 1918:  There were six more cases of influenza Tuesday in Elkhart and seven Wednesday, according to reports made by physicians. One paper has figured it up the ‘flu’ is costing the United States nearly a million dollars a day. It says: “Here are conservative estimates based on a death roll of no more than 100,000 due directly to influenza and a sick roll of no more than 2,000,000 in four months: Funerals $ 1,000,000 Doctors’ Fees 16,000,000 Nurse bills 16,000,000 Drug bills 8,000,000 Loss to workers 24,000,000 Loss to business 48,000,000 Total $150,000,000 More than $28,000,000 per month! “These estimates are undoubtedly rather under than over the facts. “They emphasize the vital necessity of stamping out the ‘flu’.”

The London (England) Times on December 20, 1918:  The Times medical correspondent said it deemed reasonable to believe that throughout the world 6,000,000 persons have perished from influenza and pneumonia during the past three months.

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

Went to vote before work this morning. The polling center was in a place about the size of a classroom. There were about 15-20 other people in the room and I was the only one wearing a mask. 

I went to vote today as well. For me I would say it was probably about 50/50. Room was huge as well. Not sure how involved the church is with staging elections. But everything this church plans is well done and organized.  

Ordered a swingset for my daughter because of this mess.  Order was confirmed as shipped and due to arrive today. It didn’t arrive so called delivery company. They never received it. Called Walmart they admitted to never shipping it. Didn’t stop them from charging me.  Plus Missed out on ordering a different swingset from elsewhere. Target can thank Covid for something because I will never shop at Walmart again 

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Went to vote before work this morning. The polling center was in a place about the size of a classroom. There were about 15-20 other people in the room and I was the only one wearing a mask. 

I voted early in a mobile unit a couple of days ago.  Everyone had masks but it was basically four people crammed into a van of space.

22 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Ordered a swingset for my daughter because of this mess.  Order was confirmed as shipped and due to arrive today. It didn’t arrive so called delivery company. They never received it. Called Walmart they admitted to never shipping it. Didn’t stop them from charging me.  Plus Missed out on ordering a different swingset from elsewhere. Target can thank Covid for something because I will never shop at Walmart again 

The Walmart where I live was a clown show before the pandemic, and it hasn't gotten any better since. My mom went shopping there a few weeks ago and spent half an hour in the checkout line because the cashier hit an extra zero on someone's order and didn't know how to change it. He flipped on the flashing light that's supposed to indicate they need help, and when no one arrived, my mom went looking for the nearest store employee, who informed the cashier he would need to void the order and rescan every single item (this person had filled an entire cart). Another employee came in to help, and ended up taking charge after the employee who screwed up decided to slink away and head to break. The replacement cashier proceeded to screw up something near the end of this person's order, and they had to scan everything a third time because she didn't know what the first cashier had done. If it had been me, I would have just walked out of the store and tried again some other day. 

The other day, my mom went back hoping for a better experience. This time, the lady in front of her realized she forgot her checkbook and all her credit cards when it was time to pay and said she needed to call her boyfriend to bring her some money. She said it would take awhile for her boyfriend to arrive with the money and asked the cashier if she could suspend the order. The cashier didn't know how, and had to call a manager, only to find out the managers were all in a meeting and no one could help. My mom changed lanes. 

31 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The Walmart where I live was a clown show before the pandemic, and it hasn't gotten any better since. My mom went shopping there a few weeks ago and spent half an hour in the checkout line because the cashier hit an extra zero on someone's order and didn't know how to change it. He flipped on the flashing light that's supposed to indicate they need help, and when no one arrived, my mom went looking for the nearest store employee, who informed the cashier he would need to void the order and rescan every single item (this person had filled an entire cart). Another employee came in to help, and ended up taking charge after the employee who screwed up decided to slink away and head to break. The replacement cashier proceeded to screw up something near the end of this person's order, and they had to scan everything a third time because she didn't know what the first cashier had done. If it had been me, I would have just walked out of the store and tried again some other day. 

The other day, my mom went back hoping for a better experience. This time, the lady in front of her realized she forgot her checkbook and all her credit cards when it was time to pay and said she needed to call her boyfriend to bring her some money. She said it would take awhile for her boyfriend to arrive with the money and asked the cashier if she could suspend the order. The cashier didn't know how, and had to call a manager, only to find out the managers were all in a meeting and no one could help. My mom changed lanes. 

In other words, you are saying that corona has had no impact on wal-mart’s customer service.

46 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

So she went to the other lane?  They usually only have like 2 open, not counting self service.

16 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

In other words, you are saying that corona has had no impact on wal-mart’s customer service.

I'll give the one I normally go to some credit, since this virus they've had maybe 3 lanes open instead of their usual 2.

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Announced today the Brickyard 400 scheduled for July 5, will be run without spectators.  

Mitch Daniels announced today that PUke will limit attendance at its home football games to roughly 15,000 representing 25% of capacity.  They averaged 54,000 per home game last season.

Nice to spare those 39,000 poor souls the agony. 

On 5/22/2020 at 2:46 PM, JSHoosier said:

A study of 96,000 patients across 6 continents showed that the use of either hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine had significantly increased risk of death or heart arrhythmia.  It's a retrospective analysis of medical records, which we should keep in mind, but that's a large study that backs up what earlier smaller studies have shown.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

At best it has no benefit, at worst it's harmful as a treatment for COVID.

Well it turns out the study has been retracted.  

https://www.thelancet.com/lancet/article/s0140673620313246