Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Stop thinking you know more than not just one doctor but the entire medical community. 

I still think the cases overall are overstated but it is just my opinion and I admit I could be wrong. Colorado updated their numbers recently and they did decrease the number of deaths as a result of Covid.

https://amp.coloradoan.com/amp/5198485002

I don’t think we will know much about over or under count though until about July when we have had a chance to compare year on year total deaths for Jan-Jun of 2020 to other years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I still think the cases overall are overstated but it is just my opinion and I admit I could be wrong. Colorado updated their numbers recently and they did decrease the number of deaths as a result of Covid.

https://amp.coloradoan.com/amp/5198485002

I don’t think we will know much about over or under count though until about July when we have had a chance to compare year on year total deaths for Jan-Jun of 2020 to other years.

Year over year deaths were up by like 58,000 as of April 18th. Official totals were Covid were less than 40,000

Year over year deaths were up by like 58,000 as of April 18th. Official totals were Covid were less than 40,000

I read a something similar but the authors of that article was comparing 2020 to several years. They advised to wait until we have several months of data and are through winter.

I think we will definitely see an increase yoy but I think this info will be interesting and will help show just how much of an impact Covid has had.

Just now, 8bucks said:

I read a something similar but the authors of that article was comparing 2020 to several years. They advised to wait until we have several months of data and are through winter.

I think we will definitely see an increase yoy but I think this info will be interesting and will help show just how much of an impact Covid has had.

Would you think taking the average of several years is better. Prevents from comparing it to a really down or really up year.  

Deaths are just up. Not why there’s so much trying to deny it. Morgues don’t run out of space or body bags if deaths are comparable to previous years. 

Would you think taking the average of several years is better. Prevents from comparing it to a really down or really up year.  

Deaths are just up. Not why there’s so much trying to deny it. Morgues don’t run out of space or body bags if deaths are comparable to previous years. 

No denying it whatsoever. Brother n law was ground zero in NOLA, sister n law Covid pos that she caught at her hospital. Another family member exposed last week delivering a baby.

Where did I ever say I was denying it. I am objective or try to be. My opinions thorough out this change as we learn more. So many are so locked in that facts won’t matter.

I am curious as to how big the number of deaths yoy is and whenever you look at yoy comparisons I prefer to include multiple years.

17 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So when someone dies of a heart attack and they also have COVID, which they find out after the death, they count it as a virus death. That’s been proven.

In general infectious diseases don't 'kill you' per se, it usually accelerates the death by 'attacking' something in particular in your body system.  A really good example is HIV/AIDS.  Another way to look at this is statistical counts of car fatalities.  Someone could for example die due to loss of blood.  But the statistic still counts as a car fatality.  

14 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

In general infectious diseases don't 'kill you' per se, it usually accelerates the death by 'attacking' something in particular in your body system.  A really good example is HIV/AIDS.  Another way to look at this is statistical counts of car fatalities.  Someone could for example die due to loss of blood.  But the statistic still counts as a car fatality.  

Another example is cancer. My wife's uncle had pancreatic cancer but ultimately passed "because" of a heart attack, but his COD was cancer because without him having cancer and being on chemotherapy, he would not have had a heart attack. 

I was reading an article yesterday stating that the reason most infectious disease scientists and doctors believe the numbers are low is because places were not counting deaths early on, February and March, as deaths caused or a result of that person having COVID. Those people "died" of something else and so they listed it as that. 

26 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Those people were probably going to die of blood loss anyway. 

55 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

Another example is cancer. My wife's uncle had pancreatic cancer but ultimately passed "because" of a heart attack, but his COD was cancer because without him having cancer and being on chemotherapy, he would not have had a heart attack. 

I was reading an article yesterday stating that the reason most infectious disease scientists and doctors believe the numbers are low is because places were not counting deaths early on, February and March, as deaths caused or a result of that person having COVID. Those people "died" of something else and so they listed it as that. 

I've talked to a couple people who worked in medical (one current, one former) and both have said they think it was already over here spreading.  So people could've had it and even died from it that are 'officially' listed as something else because we just didn't have information or knew what to look for.

Cross post from Positive news thread.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/28/863944333/antibody-tests-point-to-lower-death-rate-for-the-coronavirus-than-first-thought

Early results show that not as deadly as originally feared (though still more deadly than the flu). Also some shout outs for Indiana and IU.

15 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Tuesday I was notified my test results were negative. I was contacted today that the tests were bad and I’ll need to schedule another test.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If that’s not 2020 in a microcosm I don’t know what is

44 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Tuesday I was notified my test results were negative. I was contacted today that the tests were bad and I’ll need to schedule another test.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If it weren't for bad luck............ 

Sorry to hear that and hope the re-test is equally negative.

If it weren't for bad luck............ 

Sorry to hear that and hope the re-test is equally negative.

Right.. at least it’s me and not someone worse off.

Thanks, I believe if I had it it’s long gone. If I can get the antibody test somewhere I’d like to get that done. If I didn’t have it and clotted while therapeutic.. FML

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Right.. at least it’s me and not someone worse off.

Thanks, I believe if I had it it’s long gone. If I can get the antibody test somewhere I’d like to get that done. If I didn’t have it and clotted while therapeutic.. FML

Prayers brother!