Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Again IU planning ahead and announcing they will be in person August (mixed with online) to thanksgiving then online rest of semester. I get this and it matches what everyone else has done and makes perfect sense.

My question is why are we planing spring semester with first couple weeks online? Nowhere else seems to have done this and for all we know we could have a vaccine by then if not much earlier. I get keeping students home during peak of flu season but if things change then you have closed the campus for 2-3 weeks unnecessarily as decision is final from everything I understand.

I like some planning but with no idea what is happening lets take it month by month (or in a schools case first semester) and not longer given uncertainty. My work has said we are working from home through June then evaluating. Very reasonable. 

We need to stop planning so far ahead with so much uncertainty. Its not just IU doing this but everything and its just not necessary given world state. 

10 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Again IU planning ahead and announcing they will be in person August (mixed with online) to thanksgiving then online rest of semester. I get this and it matches what everyone else has done and makes perfect sense.

My question is why are we planing spring semester with first couple weeks online? Nowhere else seems to have done this and for all we know we could have a vaccine by then if not much earlier. I get keeping students home during peak of flu season but if things change then you have closed the campus for 2-3 weeks unnecessarily as decision is final from everything I understand.

I like some planning but with no idea what is happening lets take it month by month (or in a schools case first semester) and not longer given uncertainty. My work has said we are working from home through June then evaluating. Very reasonable. 

We need to stop planning so far ahead with so much uncertainty. Its not just IU doing this but everything and its just not necessary given world state. 

Everything I have heard is January is the earliest we would have a vaccine. And even then it takes times to distribute it. 

It amazes me how opposed people are to planning ahead.  

10 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I think planning ahead and setting expectations now is better than the whiplash that happened this year. By setting the stage now - students, teachers, and parents can better plan what the next academic school year will look like. 

27 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

And you completely missed the point again.

What did I miss?  You said "we do not take pharmaceuticals whose data shows it not to be effective into randomized controlled, clinical trials" in response to my mentioning that we where told we need such a trial.  Clearly your implication was that we shouldn't do a clinical trial because the "data" shows it's not effective.   I posted a link showing such a trial is being conducted, by Fauci's organization no less.    

Speak slowly so I understand.    

5 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

What did I miss?  You said "we do not take pharmaceuticals whose data shows it not to be effective into randomized controlled, clinical trials" in response to my mentioning that we where told we need such a trial.  Clearly your implication was that we shouldn't do a clinical trial because the "data" shows it's not effective.   I posted a link showing such a trial is being conducted, by Fauci's organization no less.    

Speak slowly so I understand.    

That wasn’t the implication 

33 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

sure as hell was.  Again, explain it to me.  Remember speak slowly.  

He said we don’t take. Not we don’t do clinical trials the fact you get the fact that people should speak slowly to you kinda reveals alot

I took my high-risk mother, who is almost 70, to Walmart today. We had just walked in when some guy went under the caution tape they've put out in front of the doors and breezed right by us. As he did that, a store employee at the entrance told him the tape is there for a reason, but the dude just shrugged, said "arrest me" and kept walking. 

Two residents of my town were hospitalized this weekend and people are still acting like this is all over. 

It's more likely to be higher than lower, guaranteed there are people that have had it and even died from it that didn't get tested so the figure wouldn't include them.

What? So you think when they are trying to figure out why they died, they wouldn’t see if they had COVID? Doubtful. More likely someone dies from something else but also has COVID.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So when someone dies of a heart attack and they also have COVID, which they find out after the death, they count it as a virus death. That’s been proven.

Stop thinking you know more than not just one doctor but the entire medical community. 

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

So when someone dies of a heart attack and they also have COVID, which they find out after the death, they count it as a virus death. That’s been proven.

COVID can cause blood clots, we know this, so it's entirely possible that heart attack was because of COVID.

Something similar is done with the flu.  Have flu and die of pneumonia counts as flu death, because flu can cause pneumonia.

But hey, don't let facts stand in the way.

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

He said we don’t take. Not we don’t do clinical trials the fact you get the fact that people should speak slowly to you kinda reveals alot

I am going to suggest you read the whole thing again.  He said "we don't take _________ into clinical trials."   So what does the word "into" mean in this context?  Sounds to me that he is saying we don't take drugs into clinical trials under the circumstances he suggests.  

Here it is in full:  "I hope you do understand why we do not take pharmaceuticals whose data shows it not to be effective into randomized controlled, clinical trials."