Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

While I agree people should take precautions.  It’s hard to acquire PPE right now.  Masks are fairly easy to get but masks are more about not giving it to somebody.  

I haven’t seen even simple dish gloves at the store since this start much less medical grade ppe. 

I get that and you do have a point.

That’s weird, I guess that just depends on where you live. I can walk into a store right now and get gloves, hand sanitizer, and all that stuff right now. 

On a side note, to show the ignorance of some of the people in politics. The mayor of Houston was on live tv the other day talking about the importance of wearing masks and wearing them correctly while his mask wasn’t even covering his nose. 

I get that and you do have a point.

That’s weird, I guess that just depends on where you live. I can walk into a store right now and get gloves, hand sanitizer, and all that stuff right now. 

On a side note, to show the ignorance of some of the people in politics. The mayor of Houston was on live tv the other day talking about the importance of wearing masks and wearing them correctly while his mask wasn’t even covering his nose. 

Honestly I have seen a lot of people trashing people for not wearing masks up here, but hardly anybody does. I went to the store on Saturday (I have to because I am getting my parents food) and maybe 1/4 wore one. You would think as much complaining you see on every social media site more would be wearing one. Not like there are less people in the store either.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

29 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I guess I don’t get people being upset about someone who is “freaking out” about wearing a mask.  I’m not sure how this effects you in the slightest.

Who is upset? People having different opinions now makes them upset? Good to know. 

38 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Honestly I have seen a lot of people trashing people for not wearing masks up here, but hardly anybody does. I went to the store on Saturday (I have to because I am getting my parents food) and maybe 1/4 wore one. You would think as much complaining you see on every social media site more would be wearing one. Not like there are less people in the store either.

I see most people in the suburbs wearing masks and not many in urban areas.

Kinda @$$ backwards if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Dalton26 said:

Who is upset? People having different opinions now makes them upset? Good to know. 

Hey, if you don't think you sound upset, more power to you.  I wasn't the one claiming that people were 'freaking out' for following health recommendations.

55 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Hey, if you don't think you sound upset, more power to you.  I wasn't the one claiming that people were 'freaking out' for following health recommendations.

Well what would you call people calling the police on others for not wearing a mask? What about people reporting businesses for opening back up? Creating an $11 million pop up hospital at the tax payer expense at NRG stadium, that never had a patient when it was closed down a couple weeks ago? County judges threatening to throw people in jail or fine them $1000 for not wearing a mask in public while releasing convicted criminals from jail at the same time? Thank god the Texas Governor stepped in before she could really do anything because that’s exactly what the county judge in Houston tried and did do when all this started. I’d say that’s freaking out, if not it’s darn close.

I’m not at all upset if you or anyone else wants to wear a mask. I’ve not said a bad thing about anyone that prefers to wear a mask either. 

1 hour ago, Dalton26 said:

Well what would you call people calling the police on others for not wearing a mask? What about people reporting businesses for opening back up? Creating an $11 million pop up hospital at the tax payer expense at NRG stadium, that never had a patient when it was closed down a couple weeks ago? County judges threatening to throw people in jail or fine them $1000 for not wearing a mask in public while releasing convicted criminals from jail at the same time? Thank god the Texas Governor stepped in before she could really do anything because that’s exactly what the county judge in Houston tried and did do when all this started. I’d say that’s freaking out, if not it’s darn close.

I’m not at all upset if you or anyone else wants to wear a mask. I’ve not said a bad thing about anyone that prefers to wear a mask either. 

That’s quite a straw man argument you’ve created.  Literally nothing there was anything we were discussing.

20 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

That’s quite a straw man argument you’ve created.  Literally nothing there was anything we were discussing.

You do realize this discussion was started on you making a “straw man” argument right? The whole thing about me being upset about people following recommendations which I never actually said.

Not to mention we were discussing people freaking out which was what my entire post was about. 

8 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

You do realize this discussion was started on you making a “straw man” argument right? The whole thing about me being upset about people following recommendations which I never actually said.

Not to mention we were discussing people freaking out which was what my entire post was about. 

If that was your intent, then I misunderstood it.  Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post stating that you didn’t understand why if people were “freaking out” now then why didn’t they wear masks during flu season.  If just seems like a uneven comparison because the risk factors are completely different.

6 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

If that was your intent, then I misunderstood it.  Maybe I’m misunderstanding your post stating that you didn’t understand why if people were “freaking out” now then why didn’t they wear masks during flu season.  If just seems like a uneven comparison because the risk factors are completely different.

Plus we have a flu vaccine we don’t have one for Covid 

Unfortunately this has become so incredibly political and the media are just fueling the divide. You cannot have a discussion about this without it breaking down into insults.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Almost everything in the US has been divided by politics for a hot minute. This is just another in a long list that the stupids ****s in the left and right entertainment business (see: modern news) has twisted to fit their agenda.

Why is every research being questioned and every freaking possible solution being flipped?!

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Almost everything in the US has been divided by politics for a hot minute. This is just another in a long list that the stupids ****s in the left and right entertainment business (see: modern news) has twisted to fit their agenda.

Why is every research being questioned and every freaking possible solution being flipped?!

I would also blame politicians and the political climate in the US in furthering that divide. 

17 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I would also blame politicians and the political climate in the US in furthering that divide. 

This is exactly it. It was a specific strategy implement to increase turnout.  Republicans started it in 94.  Rather than debating issues they transformed it into convincing voters that the other side was the enemy.  The Democrats got absolutely destroyed in 94.  The Democrats began to play that same game but have abandoned it intermittently.  And whenever one group stopped doing it they got absolutely destroyed. See 2008 and 2010. And to a lesser extent 2016

This is exactly it. It was a specific strategy implement to increase turnout.  Republicans started it in 94.  Rather than debating issues they transformed it into convincing voters that the other side was the enemy.  The Democrats got absolutely destroyed in 94.  The Democrats began to play that same game but have abandoned it intermittently.  And whenever one group stopped doing it they got absolutely destroyed. See 2008 and 2010. And to a lesser extent 2016

Republicans started it in 94? Come on ugly politics can be traced way back.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2008/10/ten-most-awesome-presidential-mudslinging-moves-ever/

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Republicans started it in 94? Come on ugly politics can be traced way back.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2008/10/ten-most-awesome-presidential-mudslinging-moves-ever/

Certainly but it ebbs and flows and this iteration of “the other party will doom America” started in 94 with Gingrich 

8 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Unfortunately this has become so incredibly political and the media are just fueling the divide. You cannot have a discussion about this without it breaking down into insults.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I do think the toxic tone has slowed down here.  For example, I don't think Dalton or I really were slinging insults and we worked out was just a misunderstanding on my part of the intent of a post. 

But, yes, the tone I was seeing here was the main reason I started the positive news thread during coronavirus.