Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Central Michigan U. is discontinuing its men's track and field program immediately.   This decision leaves the university with 16 athletic teams:  Men's and women's basketball, football, women's soccer, women's golf, baseball, softball, men's and women's cross country, field hockey, women's track and field, gymnastics, women's lacrosse, softball, volleyball and wrestling. 

Central Michigan U. is discontinuing its men's track and field program immediately.   This decision leaves the university with 16 athletic teams:  Men's and women's basketball, football, women's soccer, women's golf, baseball, softball, men's and women's cross country, field hockey, women's track and field, gymnastics, women's lacrosse, softball, volleyball and wrestling. 

Softball must be really important up there

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

5 men’s sports is also one below the limit to be considered an FBS school for football. 

On 5/18/2020 at 8:43 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

To mask or not to mask?  That is the question.   

image.png

Personally I have done nothing different since this all started, and I work in a shop where truck drivers are in and out all day and I'm still negative for the virus.

If people want to wear them a mask then theyre more than welcome to, but I wont. TBH down here in Houston I see very few people wearing them at all.

19 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Personally I have done nothing different since this all started, and I work in a shop where truck drivers are in and out all day and I'm still negative for the virus.

If people want to wear them a mask then theyre more than welcome to, but I wont. TBH down here in Houston I see very few people wearing them at all.

To me? That's the equivalent of saying "I smoke three packs a day and I don't have lung cancer. I also don't know any smokers with cancer. Therefore, I see the proof that it is not affecting people."

I trust the infectious disease doctors and biomedical professionals, who say that the spread of the disease, especially among asymptomatic infected people, is significantly reduced when masks are worn when within six feet of others. That means no mask for me in the car or during outdoor activities, but at the supermarket? You betcha.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

To me? That's the equivalent of saying "I smoke three packs a day and I don't have lung cancer. I also don't know any smokers with cancer. Therefore, I see the proof that it is not affecting people."

I trust the infectious disease doctors and biomedical professionals, who say that the spread of the disease, especially among asymptomatic infected people, is significantly reduced when masks are worn when within six feet of others. That means no mask for me in the car or during outdoor activities, but at the supermarket? You betcha.

Masks work according to Fox news:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/health/wearing-face-mask-reduce-coronavirus-transmission-75-percent-study-shows.amp

3 minutes ago, Redleader said:

At the risk of nitpicking Red, masks working is not according to Fox News, it's according to scientific studies, as reported by Fox News.

3 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

Hopefully you don't inadvertently spread it to someone who's high risk. 

This article does a decent job of expressing how I feel: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trying-to-protect-everyone-we-exposed-the-most-vulnerable-to-the-virus/ar-BB14mOvu?ocid=msedgntp

I think the US response to COVID-19 damaged our economy AND health in the process. That may have been understandable for the first few weeks, but now 2+ mos later "we" still don't seem to get it. 

This article does a decent job of expressing how I feel: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trying-to-protect-everyone-we-exposed-the-most-vulnerable-to-the-virus/ar-BB14mOvu?ocid=msedgntp I think the US response to COVID-19 damaged our economy AND health in the process. That may have been understandable for the first few weeks, but now 2+ mos later "we" still don't seem to get it.  

Be prepared. It’s probably going to be like that for another 12-24 months. But I tend to agree with the Senator from Tennessee Rand Paul. I think Fauci would agree with the new Senator from Tennessee on him not being the be all. He is only worried about it from one angle. Public health. It’s not his fault over half of the country doesn’t trust Trump.  

Edit: Yes I know Paul is from Kentucky. Just quoting the author.

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Be prepared. It’s probably going to be like that for another 12-24 months. But I tend to agree with the Senator from Tennessee Rand Paul. I think Fauci would agree with the new Senator from Tennessee on him not being the be all. He is only worried about it from one angle. Public health. It’s not his fault over half of the country doesn’t trust Trump.  

I think you hit the nail on the head. There’s exactly 1 person anybody trusted talking and he admittedly had a singular focused aim because that’s his goal.  

Had we had economists and politicians that people trusted things would have been done sooner and more effectively. 

9 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

The reporter did Rand Paul a solid - didn't want Paul's credibility and ancestry disparaged by associating him with Kentucky.

2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

You are correct that Fauci doesn’t consider himself the end all, which is why it’s a weird cheap shot IMO from someone who decided to go to the congressional gym while waiting to find out he was positive coronavirus.

In terms of half the country not trusting Trump, there is one guy who had more control of that than anyone.

Sad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s not what was said at all. I wash my hands like a normal person should. The differenace is I’m not freaking out and changing my life because of this. If you use a little common sense then you have nothing to worry about. Everyone that is freaking out now should wear a mask during flu season too if they’re so concerned now. 

5 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Hopefully you don't inadvertently spread it to someone who's high risk. 

I was just tested for it a few days ago. The whole world doesn’t and shouldn’t stop because some people are freaking out over this virus. I work in the chemical industry so I still have to go to work everyday.

If someone is high risk why would they be out in the first place to where I’d be able to spread it to them? Again as I’ve said before, common sense goes a long way here but no one seems to be using it. If you’re high risk, be responsible for yourself and stay home. Don’t expect everyone else to be responsible for you because you choose to take the risk and go out. Eventually people need to take responsibility for their self instead of expecting everyone else to do it for them. My grandfather is extremely high risk, so he stays home, it’s really not that hard. He does the same thing during flu season too. 

I’ve always washed my hands a lot and used hand sanitizer a lot before this virus but I haven’t increased it since this all started. 

Edit: I’m a slight germaphobe just for reference. It’s not like I don’t wash my hands or anything like that. I’m just not concerned about getting the virus because I’m responsible for myself just as everyone else should be too  

18 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

I was just tested for it a few days ago. The whole world doesn’t and shouldn’t stop because some people are freaking out over this virus. I work in the chemical industry so I still have to go to work everyday.

If someone is high risk why would they be out in the first place to where I’d be able to spread it to them? Again as I’ve said before, common sense goes a long way here but no one seems to be using it. If you’re high risk, be responsible for yourself and stay home. Don’t expect everyone else to be responsible for you because you choose to take the risk and go out. Eventually people need to take responsibility for their self instead of expecting everyone else to do it for them. My grandfather is extremely high risk, so he stays home, it’s really not that hard. He does the same thing during flu season too. 

I’ve always washed my hands a lot and used hand sanitizer a lot before this virus but I haven’t increased it since this all started. 

Why would somebody go out if they are high risk?  Need money for food. Have to go get food. Work in an essential industry. Lots of reasons. 

Out of curiosity why were you tested if you don’t seem to be to worried about this?  I tried to get tested and couldn’t 

35 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Why would somebody go out if they are high risk?  Need money for food. Have to go get food. Work in an essential industry. Lots of reasons. 

Out of curiosity why were you tested if you don’t seem to be to worried about this?  I tried to get tested and couldn’t 

Then they should be taking the proper precautions. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I’m going around sneezing everywhere or walking around stores for no reason. But I use common respect. If I have to sneeze I don’t just cover my mouth with my hand I’ll cover it with my shirt etc stuff like that. But I do that whether there’s a virus or not. That’s what I mean by people need to use common sense. If everyone in the world wants to wear masks then more power to them. I’m not telling anyone to not wear them, I personally won’t. That’s my decision and if I do catch the virus that’s on me, and not on anyone else.  

Because I got food poisoning and missed a day of work. It’s our company policy right now that if you miss work you have to be tested before coming back to work.

edit: Actually just a correction I did wear a mask once and that’s when I had to pick my dad up at the hospital after surgery. If I have to go into a dr office or hospital I will absolutely wear one. 

3 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Then they should be taking the proper precautions. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I’m going around sneezing everywhere or walking around stores for no reason. But I use common respect. If I have to sneeze I don’t just cover my mouth with my hand I’ll cover it with my shirt etc stuff like that. But I do that whether there’s a virus or not. That’s what I mean by people need to use common sense. If everyone in the world wants to wear masks then more power to them. I’m not telling anyone to not wear them, I personally won’t. That’s my decision and if I do catch the virus that’s on me, and not on anyone else.  

Because I got food poisoning and missed a day of work. It’s our company policy right now that if you miss work you have to be tested before work. Actually just a correction I did wear a mask once and that’s when I had to pick my dad up at the hospital after surgery. If I have to go into a dr office or hospital I will absolutely wear one. 

While I agree people should take precautions.  It’s hard to acquire PPE right now.  Masks are fairly easy to get but masks are more about not giving it to somebody.  

I haven’t seen even simple dish gloves at the store since this start much less medical grade ppe.