Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

59 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

It’d be great we’re there ANY validity to it, but this company’s profile reads like it could be something written by The Onion. But Erdogan likes them - the article is written by his State-run agency. Lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/anadolu-agency/%3famp

On 5/16/2020 at 11:20 AM, Stuhoo said:

It’d be great we’re there ANY validity to it, but this company’s profile reads like it could be something written by The Onion. But Erdogan likes them - the article is written by his State-run agency. Lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/anadolu-agency/%3famp

I didn't dig that deep.  I do know some docs are using it with efficacy in some patients.  It doesn't look line any drug works in all cases....

Just now, Old Friend said:

I didn't dig that deep.  I do know some docs are using it with efficacy in some patients.  It doesn't look line any drug works in all cases....

Lol the equivalent of my uncle works for Nintendo and the reinforce is in Hyrule field.  

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

The guy from Maine who opened his restaurant too early is now facing criminal charges for continuing to operate without a license, and said he'll stay open and doesn't care if he goes to jail. 

It’s gonna close then I imagine. 

17 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The guy from Maine who opened his restaurant too early is now facing criminal charges for continuing to operate without a license, and said he'll stay open and doesn't care if he goes to jail. 

He's a moron.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

It may be because I’m getting older, but I have absolutely no friggin idea what this post means.

In the early day’s of the internet people on video game message boards would claim they new where an object was hidden in the game and they would cite some person they knew as an authority. but it was really just BS to pretend they were in the know.  

So claiming he knows doctors using it effectively without any source is just BS.  

In the early day’s of the internet people on video game message boards would claim they new where an object was hidden in the game and they would cite some person they knew as an authority. but it was really just BS to pretend they were in the know.  

So claiming he knows doctors using it effectively without any source is just BS.  

I took it as he understands some doctors are using it not that he knows the doctors that are using it. I could be mistaken though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

On 5/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, bigrod said:

All the data I have seen says the opposite. I have seen several surgeons and virologists who have said the virus is too small to be stopped by the masks and that using masks in this way is totally not what they were designed for. I have read many who say the masks are actually making your immune system worse.

The problem with this whole thing is that you can find information to justify whatever you want, so there really is not common enemy. We are dealing with a virus that has a 99.8% survival rate. It effects people who mainly have other conditions, just like the seasonal flu. Some people, who have strong immune systems, barely know they have it. The only consistent message is fear, fear ,fear.

But, if the masks are effective, by all means, the individual should decide that they are worried about it and wear theirs and not worry about the people who are not wearing them. This whole thing has been about taking power away from the individual. Most of the people who are not wearing masks are not concerned about the mask, they are concerned about what loss of freedom comes next.

Do the masks work or not? 

If viruses are too small to be stopped by the mask (your first point) then how would a person's immunity be affected (your second point) by not getting enough exposure to viruses because they are blocked by the mask?

University of South Carolina no fall break and second, we will conclude face-to-face instruction at Thanksgiving Break.

https://sc.edu/safety/coronavirus/index.php#Messages

Marquette also changing its calendar but not nearly as drastic as USC above.

https://marquettewire.org/4033317/news/fall-semester-to-begin-and-end-early-among-changes-made-to-2020-21-academic-calendar/

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

University of South Carolina no fall break and second, we will conclude face-to-face instruction at Thanksgiving Break.

https://marquettewire.org/4033317/news/fall-semester-to-begin-and-end-early-among-changes-made-to-2020-21-academic-calendar/

This is silly. For all we know we could have a vaccine or treatment by then. I am glad these schools plan to go in person but stop planning for months out. We have no idea where this virus is going in a month much less 6 months. To already make any modifications is ridiculous. 

7 minutes ago, Aaron said:

This is silly. For all we know we could have a vaccine or treatment by then. I am glad these schools plan to go in person but stop planning for months out. We have no idea where this virus is going in a month much less 6 months. To already make any modifications is ridiculous. 

But by announcing these plans now, it does avoid the sudden and unexpected events that happened on college campuses in March.  Hopefully a vaccine is in place and they can always revise their plan accordingly.  If I had a child headed off to college, I'd much rather know this information now and not have the uncertainty.

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

To me this makes a lot of sense.

1. It is very difficult to plan to shut down or open a University on the fly.
  2. There are usually only about two weeks after Thanksgiving break anyway, and this way if there are infection hot spots they have people coming back from their home areas once, in January, rather than two or three times;
  • after fall break, 
  • in early December and
  • in January.

Additionally, there is a far greater chance that there will be a vaccine by the second week of January than in early December.

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

I would much have them planning how we are going to do something in November, than canceling everything.  

Rogers is Co-Managing Editor of D1Baseball.com

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogers

SOURCES: @FurmanBaseball has been informed that the baseball program is being cut, sources told @d1baseball.   Furman was a member of the #SoCon and finished the 2019 campaign with 13 conference wins. Just a sad day for baseball in the Palmetto State

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Notre Dame will start classes 2 weeks early and end the semester before Thanksgiving with no fall break which seems to be a growing trend.  No mention of ND's plans for its spring semester.

https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-to-begin-fall-semester-on-campus-the-week-of-aug-10/

Interesting if this results in a permanent shift in semesters.  With perhaps after a return to normalcy you being able to take some courses in 4 weeks between semesters.