Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

I have done it.  Just interested if you have anything new to add.  I guess not.  

Any links to the science about masks?  And as I have said, if they work, then let’s wear them and get back to business.  What’s the difference if I wear a mask at Wal Mart vs Macy’s?  
The problem is, JC, I mean Fauci, said masks won’t help early on.  I don’t think he’s done a mea culpa yet.  

Hey, since we are on this subject, can you lead me to where Fauci said masks won’t help early on? I hadn’t seen that and I was hoping you knew of transcripts that said that. I saw him say why he didn’t want people wearing them early on in a 60 minutes interview. But then he listed people not knowing how to properly wear one and the shortage in the healthcare system as reasons why.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hey, since we are on this subject, can you lead me to where Fauci said masks won’t help early on? I hadn’t seen that and I was hoping you knew of transcripts that said that. I saw him say why he didn’t want people wearing them early on in a 60 minutes interview. But then he listed people not knowing how to properly wear one and the shortage in the healthcare system as reasons why.

I kind of wonder if the reason we did not encourage this early on as we wanted to make sure health care workers had them first. He might not be able to say this so directly in public but that was my take. I saw the 60 minutes clip and saw him talk at many of the task force briefings.

I kind of wonder if the reason we did not encourage this early on as we wanted to make sure health care workers had them first. He might not be able to say this so directly in public but that was my take. I saw the 60 minutes clip and saw him talk at many of the task force briefings.

That and people don’t know how to wear them properly. People are always trying to readjust their mask. He actually explicitly said that both of those on 60 minutes when this started. But you rarely hear the whole quote.

21 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

We've also learned more about the virus since those days, so it's possible he didn't think so initially then his stance changed as more was learned about the virus.

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

We've also learned more about the virus since those days, so it's possible he didn't think so initially then his stance changed as more was learned about the virus.

Plus I think he was stating that a mask doesn’t do much to protect you since you touch your face more with a mask. And I’m pretty certain the CDC says it does little to protect you. It’s about protecting other people. 

32 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Plus I think he was stating that a mask doesn’t do much to protect you since you touch your face more with a mask. And I’m pretty certain the CDC says it does little to protect you. It’s about protecting other people. 

True.  Plus a mask isn't a silver bullet, nothing is, it's just one of multiple steps that might help slow the spread.

Yeah he said that at one of the press conferences. After he had just been tested he said in effect the mask is to protect you if he had it more so than the other way around

6 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Science changes its conclusions based on data.  That's the difference between science and politics.

10 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Georgia was one of the states that opened up early and to some a little aggressively. How long until we can gauge the impact?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Georgia is going to be hard to gauge because of how they keep their data on their state coronavirus site.  If you go to their website, their are huge delays in the reporting of cases there.  There are huge delays in their reporting system (at least compared to Indiana).  Their state website states that the last two weeks are just preliminary counts.  Their last two weeks of data look more like a dot to dot puzzle than a graph.  They have a 'preliminary curve', but the reality is that their reporting is so slow that their data that can be used to make conclusions can be more than 11-12 days old.  So if you want to have thirty days of data to gauge them, you likely will have to wait six weeks from when they opened to look....their first stage of opening was April 24th, so six weeks would be around June 7th.  It's also important not to extrapolate too much from it to other states unless the infection rates are similar -- Georgia's rate of infection is only about 60% of the national average (BTW, Indiana is right at the national average).

https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

On 5/14/2020 at 6:49 PM, JSHoosier said:

True.  Plus a mask isn't a silver bullet, nothing is, it's just one of multiple steps that might help slow the spread.

Bingo.  Too much instant gratification going around thinking that there is one single thing that will make it all go away.  Even if we invented a vaccine today, it would be a hell of a long time before research and production would make it widely available.

10 hours ago, Napleshoosier said:

Watch Wisconsin!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Wisconsin is one of the least infected and slowest to open states.  Definitely the least infected and slowest to open in the Midwest, so I'm not sure their numbers will tell much.  The number of positives per population is one-third the national average.

Indiana is actually a decent one to watch.  Of all states, it's rate of infection and death rates mirror the national averages closet -- death rate of currently at 251 per one million citizens and rate of confirmed infection is 3,959 per million compared to the national average of 4,484 per million.