Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

16 minutes ago, bigrod said:

All the data I have seen says the opposite. I have seen several surgeons and virologists who have said the virus is too small to be stopped by the masks and that using masks in this way is totally not what they were designed for. I have read many who say the masks are actually making your immune system worse.

The problem with this whole thing is that you can find information to justify whatever you want, so there really is not common enemy. We are dealing with a virus that has a 99.8% survival rate. It effects people who mainly have other conditions, just like the seasonal flu. Some people, who have strong immune systems, barely know they have it. The only consistent message is fear, fear ,fear.

But, if the masks are effective, by all means, the individual should decide that they are worried about it and wear theirs and not worry about the people who are not wearing them. This whole thing has been about taking power away from the individual. Most of the people who are not wearing masks are not concerned about the mask, they are concerned about what loss of freedom comes next.

By that logic any law is an encroachment on freedom. 

26 minutes ago, bigrod said:

All the data I have seen says the opposite. I have seen several surgeons and virologists who have said the virus is too small to be stopped by the masks and that using masks in this way is totally not what they were designed for. I have read many who say the masks are actually making your immune system worse.

The problem with this whole thing is that you can find information to justify whatever you want, so there really is not common enemy. We are dealing with a virus that has a 99.8% survival rate. It effects people who mainly have other conditions, just like the seasonal flu. Some people, who have strong immune systems, barely know they have it. The only consistent message is fear, fear ,fear.

But, if the masks are effective, by all means, the individual should decide that they are worried about it and wear theirs and not worry about the people who are not wearing them. This whole thing has been about taking power away from the individual. Most of the people who are not wearing masks are not concerned about the mask, they are concerned about what loss of freedom comes next.

If you say so.  I think you might have misread my post though.  But whatever, I'm not here to debate you.  By all means you be you.  Have a good day sir.

7 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Yes, foolish that people died over something so incredibly trivial. 

Actually, the data behind the science says wearing a mask helps prevent the spread of COVID-19.  And when this virus spreads more people die.  It's not really an argument nor do I even understand why it's becoming an argument.  I say that because we have a shared interested.  We have a common enemy.  And in the past when we've had a common enemy all of us have risen together as a people.  And we have accomplished things that at the time seemed like we should have not been able to accomplish.  But now asking someone to wear a mask has become a step too far?!  Look, I'm not going to do the leg work for you as I strongly believe in folks educating themselves when it comes to life threatening diseases but I encourage you to seriously take the time to research what our medical professionals are saying about wearing masks.  

Here in my neck of the woods (SW Indiana), like two weeks ago about half of the community would be wearing masks.  Now it's about 10%.  There's also an uptick of positive cases just south of me in Kentucky.  I think, and I could be wrong, the Heartland is just getting ready to know this virus a little more personally.  

Any links to the science about masks?  And as I have said, if they work, then let’s wear them and get back to business.  What’s the difference if I wear a mask at Wal Mart vs Macy’s?  

The problem is, JC, I mean Fauci, said masks won’t help early on.  I don’t think he’s done a mea culpa yet.  

If this pandemic has shown me one thing, it's that as a country we friggin' suck something awful at being selfless.

This is true.

When you live in countries that values others lives just as much as theirs the difference becomes that much more incredible. Freedom and **** though!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This today in Wisconsin -

The Wisconsin Supreme Court has struck down Gov. Tony Evers' order shutting down daily life to limit the spread of coronavirus — marking the first time a statewide order of its kind has been knocked down by a court of last resort. 

The state's highest court  sided with Republican lawmakers Wednesday in a decision that curbed the Evers administration's power to act unilaterally during public health emergencies. 

The 4-3 decision was written by four of the court’s conservatives — Chief Justice Patience Roggensack and Justices Rebecca Bradley, Daniel Kelly and Annette Ziegler. 

The court’s fifth conservative, Brian Hagedorn, wrote a dissent joined by the court’s two liberals, Ann Walsh Bradley and Rebecca Dallet. 

The court issued the decision a month after Kelly lost his seat on the court. He will be replaced in August by Dane County Circuit Judge Jill Karofsky, a liberal who beat him by 10 points in the April 7 election. 

The ruling mmediately threw out the administration's tool to control a disease for which there is no vaccine. It came after Evers had already begun lifting some restrictions because the spread of the virus has slowed for now.

To put any limits in place, the Democratic governor and Republican-controlled Legislature will be forced to work together to deal with the ebbs and flows of the outbreak — something the two sides have rarely been able to achieve before. 

With no COVID-19 policies in place, bars, restaurants and concert halls are allowed to reopen — unless local officials implement their own restrictions. That raises the prospect of a patchwork of policies, with rules varying significantly from one county to the next.

GOP leaders offered no immediate response to the decision or indicated whether they wanted to put any limits in place to fight the pandemic. State Sen. Dan Feyen, R-Fond du Lac, contended in a statement that state officials would develop a reopening plan soon and in the mean time citizens should exercise "good old-fashioned common sense and personal responsibility."

But the Legislature's top leaders, Assembly Speaker Robin Vos of Rochester and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald of Juneau, remained mum about what plan they might try to advance for the state.

In the majority opinion, Roggensack determined Health Services Secretary Andrea Palm should have issued regulations through a process known as rule making, which gives lawmakers veto power over agency policies. 

Without legislative review, “an unelected official could create law applicable to all people during the course of COVID-19 and subject people to imprisonment when they disobeyed her order,” the majority wrote. 

Other justices saw it differently. 

"This decision will undoubtedly go down as one of the most blatant examples of judicial activism in this court's history. And it will be Wisconsinites who pay the price," Dallet wrote in her dissent.

GOP lawmakers who brought the lawsuit have said the legal challenge was necessary to get a seat at the table where Evers and state health officials make decisions about how to respond to the outbreak, which has killed 418 people in the state in two months. 

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

This is true.

When you live in countries that values others lives just as much as theirs the difference becomes that much more incredible. Freedom and **** though!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Blows my mind that so many people would ***** and moan and even protest at Capitals over a temporary inconvenience in the face of a global pandemic, especially when they're still allowed to get out and do things that are absolutely necessary.

30 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And the hill you think it’s worth dying over is wearing a small piece of fabric over your face. Strange priorities 

I could care less about wearing a mask.  But if they work, then open up all the stores.  I need some freaking underwear.  

10 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Blows my mind that so many people would ***** and moan and even protest at Capitals over a temporary inconvenience in the face of a global pandemic, especially when they're still allowed to get out and do things that are absolutely necessary.

C'mon, do you really think people are protesting over face masks? Blows my mind that people think it is selfless to worry about what everyone else is doing. We have been fed this idea that if I get the virus, it's someone else's fault. Viruses have been around for a long time - take responsibility for yourself and do what you think is necessary to be safe.

It is selfless to take care of yourself so that you are not a burden to society. Sure, I totally get that in some cases it can't be helped, but why does everyone have to give up their livelihood because some are compromised (many from choosing self-sabotaging habits like smoking, over-eating unhealthy foods, and inactivity)? Those compromised need to quarantine or otherwise protect themselves. I mean, how screwed up are we when we claim to be worried about everyone's health, but fast food restaurants are deemed essential?

5 minutes ago, bigrod said:

C'mon, do you really think people are protesting over face masks? Blows my mind that people think it is selfless to worry about what everyone else is doing. We have been fed this idea that if I get the virus, it's someone else's fault. Viruses have been around for a long time - take responsibility for yourself and do what you think is necessary to be safe.

It is selfless to take care of yourself so that you are not a burden to society. Sure, I totally get that in some cases it can't be helped, but why does everyone have to give up their livelihood because some are compromised (many from choosing self-sabotaging habits like smoking, over-eating unhealthy foods, and inactivity)? Those compromised need to quarantine or otherwise protect themselves. I mean, how screwed up are we when we claim to be worried about everyone's health, but fast food restaurants are deemed essential?

You know what's selfless?  Thinking about how your actions impact others.  You can have this virus and not show symptoms but still be highly contagious and spreading it to others who may not survive.  Staying at home when experts tell you to stay the **** at home isn't being a burden to society, it's looking out for others.  People complaining because they can't go to the gym or the beach or get their haircut or whatever aren't being selfless, they're being selfish.

I've got a friend that's a hairdresser, her daughter has asthma and would be high risk if she caught this.  Everyone that goes to get their hair done poses a risk to her daughter, because of how viruses spread.  If Karen (not naming someone in particular, just pulling a name used in memes lately) staying home means her daughter or someone else's daughter/son/parent/grandparent is at less risk, well Karen's hair can wait.

8 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

You know what's selfless?  Thinking about how your actions impact others.  You can have this virus and not show symptoms but still be highly contagious and spreading it to others who may not survive.  Staying at home when experts tell you to stay the **** at home isn't being a burden to society, it's looking out for others.  People complaining because they can't go to the gym or the beach or get their haircut or whatever aren't being selfless, they're being selfish.

I've got a friend that's a hairdresser, her daughter has asthma and would be high risk if she caught this.  Everyone that goes to get their hair done poses a risk to her daughter, because of how viruses spread.  If Karen (not naming someone in particular, just pulling a name used in memes lately) staying home means her daughter or someone else's daughter/son/parent/grandparent is at less risk, well Karen's hair can wait.

My wife's hair stylist has a compromised immune system.  She's had no luck with government help.  She understands the risk and needs to open with proper precautions to survive.  She's about to loose her shop.  

16 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Any links to the science about masks?  And as I have said, if they work, then let’s wear them and get back to business.  What’s the difference if I wear a mask at Wal Mart vs Macy’s?  

The problem is, JC, I mean Fauci, said masks won’t help early on.  I don’t think he’s done a mea culpa yet.  

You clearly didn't read my post to its entirety.  I'm not even going to try when it comes to poop like this.  You clearly have the means to research yourself.  And I'm definitely not going to be apart of your own decisions of whatever you decide regarding your own personal health.  You be you.  Have a good day kind sir.  

Earlier in the week, the Mid America Conference announced a plan to change its postseason tournaments for 17 sports, including eliminating the tourneys for eight sports.

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2020/05/mac-cuts-conference-tournaments-for-eight-sports-adjusts-hoops-tourney-format.html

Today, MAC member school Akron announced it's cutting men's golf, men's cross country, and women's tennis, per release.