Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

News from Cass County where we now have 1,497 confirmed cases (heavily weighted to Tyson employees) but miraculously only 2 reported deaths.

Logansport Memorial Hospital says they received notification this week from the federal government (through FEMA and the Department of Health and Human Services) that they were chosen as a site to receive Remdesivir, for immediate use and as appropriate treatment for COVID-19 patients in their facility.

The hospital says that on May 1, the United States Food and Drug Administration approved emergency use of the experimental drug Remdesivir for the treatment of COVID-19, after early data from ongoing clinical trials showed promising results in helping severely ill patients recover from the virus.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

News from Cass County where we now have 1,497 confirmed cases (heavily weighted to Tyson employees) but miraculously only 2 reported deaths.

Logansport Memorial Hospital says they received notification this week from the federal government (through FEMA and the Department of Health and Human Services) that they were chosen as a site to receive Remdesivir, for immediate use and as appropriate treatment for COVID-19 patients in their facility.

The hospital says that on May 1, the United States Food and Drug Administration approved emergency use of the experimental drug Remdesivir for the treatment of COVID-19, after early data from ongoing clinical trials showed promising results in helping severely ill patients recover from the virus.

Good to hear that.  Remdisvir sounds promising for quicker recovery based on very early trials.  

Bloomington (IN) testing site now scheduling antibody testing for next week.  Link inside article sends you to registration link:
https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/new-covid-19-testing-site-going-downtown-bloomington.php

My wife is scheduled for to take the test here in Indy next week. Will be curious to see how we shake out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Wow: California just cancelled University classes for classes and LA extended lock down through summer. 

I cannot stand the extremism of the left and the right during this. How about we take it a month at a time and open things slowly?

The governors in the South are determined to have economy going be damn even if it kills everyone and far left on West Coast determined to keep people locked up until vaccine which will cause just as many deaths from unrelated issues. 

Both extreme sides are wrong and we need a middle ground in this extreme world which most of the governors in Midwest seem to be taking including Indiana's. 

We are the only country where corona virus has become political and I blame the extremism on both sides for it.

11 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Wow: California just cancelled University classes for classes and LA extended lock down through summer. 

I cannot stand the extremism of the left and the right during this. How about we take it a month at a time and open things slowly?

The governors in the South are determined to have economy going be damn even if it kills everyone and far left on West Coast determined to keep people locked up until vaccine which will cause just as many deaths from unrelated issues. 

Both extreme sides are wrong and we need a middle ground in this extreme world which most of the governors in Midwest seem to be taking including Indiana's. 

We are the only country where corona virus has become political and I blame the extremism on both sides for it.

Coronavirus was pretty political in the UK. Something happened which changed Johnson’s perspective on it though 

17 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Bye bye to their students. I definitely wouldn't waste an entire semester of college on online classes, especially if I was an incoming freshman. And then there's tuition which is another matter.

34 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Point of clarification.  This is the California State University (CSU) and it's campuses and not the universities operating in the State of California.  When I first saw this, my reaction was OMG until I investigated further.  CSU has 28 campuses and the biggest majority of its members are in the CCAA or Big Sky for athletics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_University#Campuses

And then immediately after posting the above, I saw the CCAA conference (Division II) is suspending NCAA competition for the fall of 2020.   

https://goccaa.org/news/2020/5/12/general-ccaa-suspends-ncaa-competition-for-fall-2020.aspx

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Added CCAA suspending fall competition

Watch the PBS Frontline Series “America’s Great Divide.” Wow, we look like a train wreck of a country. It explains pretty well how we got into the current political situation.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

The Governor of IL ordered only 2 people allowed on a boat, even if they live together.  So the kids get to stay home.  Doesn't sound middle ground to me.  Sounds stupid.  

And if masks are supposed to work, then why can't we loosen the reigns a little.  What's the difference from wearing a mask in wal-mart vs. JC Penny?     

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

The Governor of IL ordered only 2 people allowed on a boat, even if they live together.  So the kids get to stay home.  Doesn't sound middle ground to me.  Sounds stupid.  

And if masks are supposed to work, then why can't we loosen the reigns a little.  What's the difference from wearing a mask in wal-mart vs. JC Penny?     

People aren’t wearing the masks and are killing retail workers that ask them to wear them. 

46 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

People aren’t wearing the masks and are killing retail workers that ask them to wear them. 

Ok. So let’s stay locked inside until they have a vaccine.  See you in 2022.  

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Except they aren’t killing retail workers because they aren’t wearing them and there’s no data to back that up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/04/us/michigan-security-guard-mask-killing-trnd/index.html

No data?

11 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

One incident is data?  Foolish.  

Yes, foolish that people died over something so incredibly trivial. 

13 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Except they aren’t killing retail workers because they aren’t wearing them and there’s no data to back that up.

Actually, the data behind the science says wearing a mask helps prevent the spread of COVID-19.  And when this virus spreads more people die.  It's not really an argument nor do I even understand why it's becoming an argument.  I say that because we have a shared interested.  We have a common enemy.  And in the past when we've had a common enemy all of us have risen together as a people.  And we have accomplished things that at the time seemed like we should have not been able to accomplish.  But now asking someone to wear a mask has become a step too far?!  Look, I'm not going to do the leg work for you as I strongly believe in folks educating themselves when it comes to life threatening diseases but I encourage you to seriously take the time to research what our medical professionals are saying about wearing masks.  

Here in my neck of the woods (SW Indiana), like two weeks ago about half of the community would be wearing masks.  Now it's about 10%.  There's also an uptick of positive cases just south of me in Kentucky.  I think, and I could be wrong, the Heartland is just getting ready to know this virus a little more personally.  

3 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Yes, foolish that people died over something so incredibly trivial. 

Actually, the data behind the science says wearing a mask helps prevent the spread of COVID-19.  And when this virus spreads more people die.  It's not really an argument nor do I even understand why it's becoming an argument.  I say that because we have a shared interested.  We have a common enemy.  And in the past when we've had a common enemy all of us have risen together as a people.  And we have accomplished things that at the time seemed like we should have not been able to accomplish.  But now asking someone to wear a mask has become a step too far?!  Look, I'm not going to do the leg work for you as I strongly believe in folks educating themselves when it comes to life threatening diseases but I encourage you to seriously take the time to research what our medical professionals are saying about wearing masks.  

Here in my neck of the woods (SW Indiana), like two weeks ago about half of the community would be wearing masks.  Now it's about 10%.  There's also an uptick of positive cases just south of me in Kentucky.  I think, and I could be wrong, the Heartland is just getting ready to know this virus a little more personally.  

All the data I have seen says the opposite. I have seen several surgeons and virologists who have said the virus is too small to be stopped by the masks and that using masks in this way is totally not what they were designed for. I have read many who say the masks are actually making your immune system worse.

The problem with this whole thing is that you can find information to justify whatever you want, so there really is not common enemy. We are dealing with a virus that has a 99.8% survival rate. It effects people who mainly have other conditions, just like the seasonal flu. Some people, who have strong immune systems, barely know they have it. The only consistent message is fear, fear ,fear.

But, if the masks are effective, by all means, the individual should decide that they are worried about it and wear theirs and not worry about the people who are not wearing them. This whole thing has been about taking power away from the individual. Most of the people who are not wearing masks are not concerned about the mask, they are concerned about what loss of freedom comes next.