Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

6 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Interesting article that discusses how this may have been in France in November.

https://www.sciencealert.com/genetic-investigation-reveals-covid-19-was-circulating-in-europe-before-cases-were-reported/amp

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Thank you for posting.  It "proves" and cites a source for a certain poster who didn't want to believe this thing may have been around for a whole lot longer than has been reported.    Given what happened today, I think it's plain to see there aren't a lot of media sources worthy of trust at this point.  However, this does help out at least one person who just didn't buy it because the theory wasn't his own.   I believe this article 100%.

8 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Thank you for posting.  It "proves" and cites a source for a certain poster who didn't want to believe this thing may have been around for a whole lot longer than has been reported.    Given what happened today, I think it's plain to see there aren't a lot of media sources worthy of trust at this point.  However, this does help out at least one person who just didn't buy it because the theory wasn't his own.   I believe this article 100%.

It reinforces your already held beliefs so you believe it 100%. Totally unbiased. 

“He said estimates of the dates of these "seeding events" suggests the epidemics in many European and North American cities began in mid-January or early February.”

On 5/7/2020 at 12:35 AM, Aaron said:

If people are getting it at home why lock down? I have to assume the people are not literally getting it through their windows and air vents, but the few times they go out to shop or walk/run outside and then it spreads among family. I wish Cuomo would of clarified this but logically this has to be it.

If it is just as easy though to get it going to the grocery store, we might as well just open things up as I doubt the infection number spike that much if people go out for other things and we can't ban people from grocery store.

In all seriousness I wish we would find some kind of middle ground. I don't think we can lockdown for months and months till a vaccine as some on the left want and I also don't think going back to complete normal as some on right want.

I can tell you traffic at the hospital I work at (from home now) increased a good amount this week but it was NOT from a spike in covid patients from what I could tell. Rather people were getting other care they could not get for weeks with the state shut down. Have to wonder how many people had life saving care suspended because we were so worried about Corona and put just as many other people with problems in danger?

If it were up to me (and its not as I am really really low on totem pole where I work), first off we would have special Covid field hospitals for people to get tested and then hospitalized there. All ambulances would be directed there and people who show up at ER's at regular hospitals would be re-directed, except in Emergencies where you would maintain a small Covid unit. This way people can get the other life saving care they need (after being tested and declared negative for Covid) and we don't possibly end up with more deaths from people who couldn't get other treatments they had to have. I have no idea what the numbers are but I have to think as a result of Covid many have died from other things (starvation, can't get other medical care, suicide etc). In other words have your normal hospitals for patients who test negative and need other care and then have those with Covid at field hospital. Heck maybe in big cities you test people before a procedure (which is being done already) and hospitals coordinate and pool their resources where postive covid patients go to one hospital to get procedure and negative ones go to another, except in emergency circumstances. This could be hard coordinate but if done right it would save most lives across cities.

I'd also like to see things open but with common sense social distancing, where people are required to wear masks (and if they don't police issue fines and the money paid goes towards Covid research), no large gatherings and people spaced apart.

If people really are getting the virus while mostly staying at home as Cuomo claims (and I have no idea what this means) opening things up with common sense social distancing shouldn't make numbers that much higher.  

Anecdotal evidence in Btown is most people are doing this half-@$$.  People still visiting with extended family.  Have some drinks in the neighbors basement.  Know of only one neighbor family following this to the letter.

Grocery store customer masks were 50% two weeks ago, less than a third this last week.

This could explain the numbers somewhat, because people might not recall or think what they are doing is creating opportunity for spread.

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

COVID-19 fatigue is setting in fast and will only increase as the weather improves.   I pity the first governor that has to say "oops, we reopened our state too quickly so we have to tighten the screws a second time."

Florida has already closed some beaches because social distancing hasn’t been occurring.  

11 minutes ago, jk34 said:

Florida must be doing something right .  

21.5 million people 

1600 deaths

One of the oldest states,  average age wise

Very curious to see excess deaths for Florida when data is available.  Not letting medical examiners report cases and blacking out information about deaths doesn’t strike me as a state reporting numbers in good faith. 

16 minutes ago, jk34 said:

Florida must be doing something right .  

21.5 million people 

1600 deaths

One of the oldest states,  average age wise

Come on.  Everyone in Florida is going to die.  :) 

My understanding is that they locked down nursing facilities early on.  Helps a lot.    

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Very curious to see excess deaths for Florida when data is available.  Not letting medical examiners report cases and blacking out information about deaths doesn’t strike me as a state reporting numbers in good faith. 

Wouldn't expect any different response from you!

Just now, jk34 said:

Wouldn't expect any different response from you!

And I’m not surprised at all that you see nothing odd about Medical Examiners not being allowed to report deaths because they were higher than the states total. Your without a doubt not biased at all. 

6 minutes ago, jk34 said:

Actually, an Independent! If you would ever like a lesson in politics,  give me private message! 

Never brought political bias up. The fact you did is pretty telling though. 

This isn’t political. Anytime somebody restricts information or hides information that they are reporting it’s a clear sign the data is being manipulated or at least you should be skeptical of it.  

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Never brought political bias up. The fact you did is pretty telling though. 

Because I mentioned Florida means I'm politically biased! Get a clue. Every thread you are on, you give your expert opinion!

Just now, jk34 said:

Because I mentioned Florida means I'm politically biased! Get a clue. Every thread you are on, you give your expert opinion!

Never said you were politically biased. The fact you think that’s what I said is pretty telling. 

Thinking there’s no need for good clean consistent unaltered data would seem to indicate that you are biased on the manner. 

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And I’m not surprised at all that you see nothing odd about Medical Examiners not being allowed to report deaths because they were higher than the states total. Your without a doubt not biased at all. 

What does your last sentence suggest? 

BTW, I think Polis has done a pretty good job as well!

1 minute ago, jk34 said:

What does your last sentence suggest? 

BTW, I think Polis has done a pretty good job as well!

I’m not suggesting anything other than you are biased.  

To not think it’s fishy for a government to tell medical examiners to stop reporting numbers because they are higher than the governments. Can only be regarded as a bias. 

40 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Come on.  Everyone in Florida is going to die.  :) 

My understanding is that they locked down nursing facilities early on.  Helps a lot.    

The state intervening to stop the medical examiner from reporting COVID deaths helps too.  Their numbers should be taken with a serious grain of salt.

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Never said you were politically biased. The fact you think that’s what I said is pretty telling. 

Thinking there’s no need for good clean consistent unaltered data would seem to indicate that you are biased on the manner. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m not suggesting anything other than you are biased.  

To not think it’s fishy for a government to tell medical examiners to stop reporting numbers because they are higher than the governments. Can only be regarded as a bias. 

Make up your mind! 

I'm not believing any numbers reported right now. Dr. Birx even said the numbers aren't accurate!

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

The state intervening to stop the medical examiner from reporting COVID deaths helps too.  Their numbers should be taken with a serious grain of salt.

Should New York's be taken with a grain of salt as well? More federal funding with Covid cases, plus that doubles when using a ventilator!

1 minute ago, jk34 said:

Make up your mind! 

I'm not believing any numbers reported right now. Dr. Birx even said the numbers aren't accurate!

And yet you started off with a snarky comment directed at me because I’m interested to see the future data because I don’t trust the current data. Perhaps you need to make up your mind.