Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Wow.  66% in hospital were people not going out? 

Thanks for posting.

And apparently the virus has mutated into a more contagious strain.  If it doesn't subside due to warm weather it could mutate again putting vaccine development efforts at risk.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/the-coronavirus-mutated-and-appears-to-be-more-contagious-now-new-study-finds.html

If people are getting it at home why lock down? I have to assume the people are not literally getting it through their windows and air vents, but the few times they go out to shop or walk/run outside and then it spreads among family. I wish Cuomo would of clarified this but logically this has to be it.

If it is just as easy though to get it going to the grocery store, we might as well just open things up as I doubt the infection number spike that much if people go out for other things and we can't ban people from grocery store.

In all seriousness I wish we would find some kind of middle ground. I don't think we can lockdown for months and months till a vaccine as some on the left want and I also don't think going back to complete normal as some on right want.

I can tell you traffic at the hospital I work at (from home now) increased a good amount this week but it was NOT from a spike in covid patients from what I could tell. Rather people were getting other care they could not get for weeks with the state shut down. Have to wonder how many people had life saving care suspended because we were so worried about Corona and put just as many other people with problems in danger?

If it were up to me (and its not as I am really really low on totem pole where I work), first off we would have special Covid field hospitals for people to get tested and then hospitalized there. All ambulances would be directed there and people who show up at ER's at regular hospitals would be re-directed, except in Emergencies where you would maintain a small Covid unit. This way people can get the other life saving care they need (after being tested and declared negative for Covid) and we don't possibly end up with more deaths from people who couldn't get other treatments they had to have. I have no idea what the numbers are but I have to think as a result of Covid many have died from other things (starvation, can't get other medical care, suicide etc). In other words have your normal hospitals for patients who test negative and need other care and then have those with Covid at field hospital. Heck maybe in big cities you test people before a procedure (which is being done already) and hospitals coordinate and pool their resources where postive covid patients go to one hospital to get procedure and negative ones go to another, except in emergency circumstances. This could be hard coordinate but if done right it would save most lives across cities.

I'd also like to see things open but with common sense social distancing, where people are required to wear masks (and if they don't police issue fines and the money paid goes towards Covid research), no large gatherings and people spaced apart.

If people really are getting the virus while mostly staying at home as Cuomo claims (and I have no idea what this means) opening things up with common sense social distancing shouldn't make numbers that much higher.  

IMO, the problem in NYC is simply one of density.  Staying at home in a high rise apartment/tenement building in NYC is a whole lot different than me staying at home with my wife in our home.  Who knows how effective air handling units are in some of the older buildings not to mention the number of people using a stairwell/elevator on a daily basis.  I don't for a minute believe that staying at home in NYC should be taken literally.  People are still on the go, just not 'going' as much or to their usual places.  

Today I heard something from leadership that actually made me agree.  Science is starting to guide the decisions being made.  They spoke of starting up schools to where the faculty is young and healthy.  So the idea is the younger generations hold down the fort while the older generations bunker down thus minimizing deaths due to this pandemic.

I don't recall if I mentioned this already but I believe we'll start seeing this applied throughout the country at all levels.  I also believe this will be a solid middle ground for all the political hacks. Once companies are able to manufacture testing kits at a large scale I believe we'll start seeing the older generations get back to work.  But right now there's a shortage of reagent.  

Keep in mind folks, throughout the history of mankind there's only been two (smallpox and rinderpest) infectious diseases eradicated.  And one of those diseases isn't human related.  We're in this for the long haul and folks need to start thinking this way. 

And I'm sure this has been mentioned on here as well but the reason we have/had a shutdown/lockdown isn't due to trying to stop COVID-19 but minimize hospitalizations.  We will likely have to go through more shutdowns in the future.  I foresee this being our reality for quite some time.  

Like I've said multiple times, folks will eventually stop seeing the colors red and blue but instead will watch it dissolve into COVID.  

If people are getting it at home why lock down? I have to assume the people are not literally getting it through their windows and air vents, but the few times they go out to shop or walk/run outside and then it spreads among family. I wish Cuomo would of clarified this but logically this has to be it.
If it is just as easy though to get it going to the grocery store, we might as well just open things up as I doubt the infection number spike that much if people go out for other things and we can't ban people from grocery store.
In all seriousness I wish we would find some kind of middle ground. I don't think we can lockdown for months and months till a vaccine as some on the left want and I also don't think going back to complete normal as some on right want.
I can tell you traffic at the hospital I work at (from home now) increased a good amount this week but it was NOT from a spike in covid patients from what I could tell. Rather people were getting other care they could not get for weeks with the state shut down. Have to wonder how many people had life saving care suspended because we were so worried about Corona and put just as many other people with problems in danger?
If it were up to me (and its not as I am really really low on totem pole where I work), first off we would have special Covid field hospitals for people to get tested and then hospitalized there. All ambulances would be directed there and people who show up at ER's at regular hospitals would be re-directed, except in Emergencies where you would maintain a small Covid unit. This way people can get the other life saving care they need (after being tested and declared negative for Covid) and we don't possibly end up with more deaths from people who couldn't get other treatments they had to have. I have no idea what the numbers are but I have to think as a result of Covid many have died from other things (starvation, can't get other medical care, suicide etc). In other words have your normal hospitals for patients who test negative and need other care and then have those with Covid at field hospital. Heck maybe in big cities you test people before a procedure (which is being done already) and hospitals coordinate and pool their resources where postive covid patients go to one hospital to get procedure and negative ones go to another, except in emergency circumstances. This could be hard coordinate but if done right it would save most lives across cities.
I'd also like to see things open but with common sense social distancing, where people are required to wear masks (and if they don't police issue fines and the money paid goes towards Covid research), no large gatherings and people spaced apart.
If people really are getting the virus while mostly staying at home as Cuomo claims (and I have no idea what this means) opening things up with common sense social distancing shouldn't make numbers that much higher.  

The question is why are those people being hospitalized more than say essential workers who are going out and working. Including grocery workers.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The question is why are those people being hospitalized more than say essential workers who are going out and working. Including grocery workers.

Guessing it has to do with air ventilation being what it is much like cruises in those apartments. A lot of New York doesn’t have true central air in their apartments. Usually in those they push air from the bottom floors up using fans. Grocery store cashiers will get the spit shields. All other workers have masks and people really don’t get up close to them anymore on a regular basis. It does make you wonder why a Chicago is not getting crushed, or a Philadelphia. Their projects are as bad as New York’s. Not as big but you would think big enough.

Guessing it has to do with air ventilation being what it is much like cruises in those apartments. A lot of New York doesn’t have true central air in their apartments. Usually in those they push air from the bottom floors up using fans. Grocery store cashiers will get the spit shields. All other workers have masks and people really don’t get up close to them anymore on a regular basis. It does make you wonder why a Chicago is not getting crushed, or a Philadelphia. Their projects are as bad as New York’s. Not as big but you would think big enough.

New York has been bad. By far the worst with New Jersey begins them. It’s just kind of wild. How have other very large cities not been hit the same?

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

New York has been bad. By far the worst with New Jersey begins them. It’s just kind of wild. How have other very large cities not been hit the same?

New York required nursing homes to admit Covid 19 positive patients.  That could not have helped.  Plus, I think NYC is much more reliant on public transportation -- longer trips, crowded subway cars, etc. -- than say Chicago.   

New York required nursing homes to admit Covid 19 positive patients.  That could not have helped.  Plus, I think NYC is much more reliant on public transportation -- longer trips, crowded subway cars, etc. -- than say Chicago.   

Correct, but the weird thing he is talking about it was said those people were not using public transportation I had thought. They were mostly home and not working.

4 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Correct, but the weird thing he is talking about it was said those people were not using public transportation I had thought. They were mostly home and not working.

They weren’t. But what about their spouses?  Or were they still doing their shopping?  If not we’re their kids bringing them food then staying over to catch up?  There’s too many variables to figure this out I would imagine. 

But only 18% of hospitalizations were from nursing homes. It’s the crazy thing about this. Why were those at home getting sick.

35 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Interesting article that discusses how this may have been in France in November.

https://www.sciencealert.com/genetic-investigation-reveals-covid-19-was-circulating-in-europe-before-cases-were-reported/amp

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Wouldn't be surprising.  Frankly, I think it's been in Indiana for a while; a person that works in healthcare told me as they've heard more about this virus they think it's what my mom actually had and finding out this can cause blood clots convinced them it is, that would've been early February when she was in the hospital.

I've heard other stories of people getting really sick with symptoms like this causes as well.  I wouldn't say I got really sick, but I had something that felt different than a cold and had a dry cough that just wouldn't go away.

Wouldn't be surprising.  Frankly, I think it's been in Indiana for a while; a person that works in healthcare told me as they've heard more about this virus they think it's what my mom actually had and finding out this can cause blood clots convinced them it is, that would've been early February when she was in the hospital.
I've heard other stories of people getting really sick with symptoms like this causes as well.  I wouldn't say I got really sick, but I had something that felt different than a cold and had a dry cough that just wouldn't go away.

It is so hard to say since it does not seem to coincide with how infectious this is and how they real impact seems to match the later timeline. However, my father n law had a strange pneumonia in Jan that they could not figure out. He was in the hospital for 2 stunts over 2 months but is out and recovering now.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

But only 18% of hospitalizations were from nursing homes. It’s the crazy thing about this. Why were those at home getting sick.

I agree.  I was just responding to NY in general.  However, I think 25% of deaths are nursing home related.   Theoretically, the only way someone at home could get it is if someone brought it too them.