Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

There are two sides to this. Those who believe we take it seriously but at the same time realize it’s Avery unfortunate happening and that with some common sense, the country can open back up. That includes republicans and democrats. And it really depends where you live. They understand it’s complex but you can’t just shut the world down for a month. Then there is the other side. The side that knows there is a lot political gain in blaming everything on one person. That there is great political gain in the country failing under him. Now who do you think those would be? It’s a small group of people, but a powerful group.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Over simply much?

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-28/trump-says-he-s-issuing-order-for-tyson-s-unique-liability

I disagree with pretty much everything Trump has done but here I agree 100% with him. As I alluded to earlier in this thread you cannot close things that allow people to eat. I feel for these workers but unless we are closing hospitals, grocery stores, police etc. when a bunch of people test positive, a meat packing plant is every bit as important as these. People need to eat, especially admit the pandemic.

I feel for these workers, but unfortunately when you work in a service that sustains life you cannot close these things no matter how much Covid spreads there.  Remember I say this as a vegetarian.

Everyone stay safe and do your best to stay healthy. This is a lousy time.

How many deaths does it take to close them again in your eyes?

18 minutes ago, Redleader said:

Why would national guardsmen be less at risk to conditions at the plant than employees?

Because they tend to be healthier, younger people? Look at what happened on the USS Theodore Roosevelt. Almost a thousand cases and they have 1 death (a 41 year old man). Few people even required hospitalization.  

31 minutes ago, Redleader said:

Why would national guardsmen be less at risk to conditions at the plant than employees?

It’s a separate population. The meat packers aren’t getting sick from the meat. They are getting sick from their coworkers. If you take the sick people out and replace them with people not sick then the spread stops. 

So it’s not a given that guardsmen will get sick 

Because they tend to be healthier, younger people? Look at what happened on the USS Theodore Roosevelt. Almost a thousand cases and they have 1 death (a 41 year old man). Few people even required hospitalization.  

I think it was found that over 90% of the New York were those with underlying issues. If you’re healthy, you’re probably going to make it. If you have issues, it could be tough. But New York has seen far worse than any other state and it isn’t close.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s a separate population. The meat packers aren’t getting sick from the meat. They are getting sick from their coworkers. If you take the sick people out and replace them with people not sick then the spread stops. 

I like that thinking.  So if we take out the infected folks, and replace them with non-infected folks.  National Guardsman can be quarantined to themselves as they are deployed, and segregated from family as usual.

So it takes social distancing and quarantining of these "essential workers" from the rest of the population to keep them safe.  The guard will probably move as specific units so as to quarantine in small teams when someone is infected.

Does anyone what Tyson is doing to protect workers at the moment?

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s not just as simple as replacing that may people as well.  Meat processing is an incredibly dangerous job.  Replace that many people at once with people who haven’t worked the job and it becomes all that much more dangerous.  The rate of production while being higher than zero if shut down is not going to anywhere close to what it was.

1 hour ago, Redleader said:

How many deaths does it take to close them again in your eyes?

As many as it would take to close a a nursing home, hospital or grocery store because of an outbreak. These are essential services and you cannot close them no matter what. 

I think re-opening the malls and all this other stuff is crazy and you want to minimize deaths but anything involving food you can't close unless you want famine and starvation pandemic which will kill more people. There is a reason nursing homes have not closed during the outbreak and their numbers are much higher and the same goes for a meat processing plant or anything else that requires getting food supply to people. 

Like Brass said if you want to bring in National Guard or some other employees to run essential services I am good with that but any essential service involved with food can't close for ANY circumstance, especially during this pandemic. 

6 minutes ago, Redleader said:

I like that thinking.  So if we take out the infected folks, and replace them with non-infected folks.  National Guardsman can be quarantined to themselves as they are deployed, and segregated from family as usual.

So it takes social distancing and quarantining of these "essential workers" from the rest of the population to keep them safe.  The guard will probably move as specific units so as to quarantine in small teams when someone is infected.

I know there have been barriers (plexiglass) placed between workers in some plants and facial masks in place.  Unfortunately operating with the number of people they have been in a closed in space hasn’t helped.  But as was pointed out by Old Fart, these factories weren’t built for social distancing for means of production.  That part just is what it is.

6 minutes ago, Redleader said:

It's what they didn't do when they damn well new there would be a problem.  They had virus problems at plants in Iowa as early as April 4, and had to shut down.  They did nothing on a proactive basis in Logansport and pressured people to come into work who were clearly sick with the virus.  They're lucky I'm not in charge because they'd never re-open that damn plant.  

We have 1,146 Tyson employees confirmed positive with the virus out of roughly 1,850 tested.  For our hospital and size of our County, this is a legitimate crisis.