Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

From the article:  "Sophiahemmet currently has no confirmed COVID-19 cases, People reported."  

(Note:  Sophiahemmet is the name of the hospital)

1 hour ago, Old Friend said:

Why?  because of "presumed" deaths.   Because the more we test, the more positive tests we have.  The more positive tests we have, the more raw numbers are produced by the data.   And, the deaths include every known and every presumed death "with" Coronavirus rather than "from" it.   Context matters, right?   Study from Stanford based on antibody testing shows that perhaps 85x the number of people actually had COVID-19 than initially reported.   

The US has tested over 5 million people now, so yeah..raw numbers are going to go up across the board.  With 900,000 positive tests, assuming Stanford's numbers are right, 76,500,000 people will have had this thing.  So it would only be natural to assume "presumed" deaths (or better said deaths attributed to it after the fact) will rise.   But.... then, if you apply context...and you go with the KNOWN raw numbers, you come to a different conclusion.   You can look at the Johns Hopkins chart as easily as I can.  You can look up the numbers as easily as I can.  Hospitalizations are down across the country.  Including in some "hot spots."   The care being given now is more of a known than it was 5 weeks ago, and the death rate is down.   WAY down if you attribute presumed deaths and add in any exponential factor assuming more people have this than was originally known.  

You can make any number fit your argument if you spin it your way.  I'm aware of that; however if you're relying on anecdotal and presumed data to prove actual data wrong, I'd say that's just another way to spin it.    The bottom line?   The medical people in charge would never have approved a phase 1 exit plan if the true numbers were as you and BC claim they are.   

Hospitalizations are the really important number.  It tells us what is really happening.  Unfortunately it's harder to find. 

Raw cases are skewed by testing.  Looking at pct. positive will help identify if things are better or worse.  Deaths are a lagging indicator and don't help all that much.    

I'm curious how many of these deaths are actually from covid and its affects, at least here in Illinois. A few days ago, I was watching Pritzker's daily briefing. His Director of Health said that they are counting any death of someone who tested positive for covid, then died as a covid death, even if the death was from something different. So that means, if someone tested positive, then had a heart attack 5 minutes later, it was a covid death. No it wasn't. It was a heart attack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I'm curious how many of these deaths are actually from covid and its affects, at least here in Illinois. A few days ago, I was watching Pritzker's daily briefing. His Director of Health said that they are counting any death of someone who tested positive for covid, then died as a covid death, even if the death was from something different. So that means, if someone tested positive, then had a heart attack 5 minutes later, it was a covid death. No it wasn't. It was a heart attack.

Because obviously people go into the hospital to get tested for coronavirus and have a non-related heart attack 5 minutes later.

2 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Depends how far you're willing to expand the net.  Something similar is done with the flu, flu death count doesn't just count direct flu deaths but deaths associated with the flu so if you have the flu but die of pneumonia it does down as a flu death because the flu can lead to pneumonia.

Let's use your heart attack example.  In the case of COVID it's come out that COVID can cause blood clots.  A blood clot getting to the heart can cause a heart attack; so yes, the heart attack in your example can be the result of COVID-19.  A stroke could be the result of COVID as well if the blood clot goes to the brain.

It's done for a reason, to try and avoid under reporting the total death and it's just an estimation.  Plus I guarantee there are people that have died because of COVID that we don't know about because they didn't get tested.

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Why?  because of "presumed" deaths.   Because the more we test, the more positive tests we have.  The more positive tests we have, the more raw numbers are produced by the data.   And, the deaths include every known and every presumed death "with" Coronavirus rather than "from" it.   Context matters, right?   Study from Stanford based on antibody testing shows that perhaps 85x the number of people actually had COVID-19 than initially reported.   

Hey, did you check the Indiana coronavirus death numbers today?  How is your 27/10/less than 10 numbers look today?  They are now at 31/23/15 and they will go up.  And that has zero to do with 'presumed' deaths. 

The whole died 'with' rather than 'from' is deep state conspiracy BS arguments.  Go sell conspiracy to someone more easily influenced.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

Hey, did you check the Indiana coronavirus death numbers today?  How is your 27/10/less than 10 numbers look today?  They are now at 31/23/15 and they will go up.  And that has zero to do with 'presumed' deaths. 

The whole died 'with' rather than 'from' is deep state conspiracy BS arguments.  Go sell conspiracy to someone more easily influenced.

It's people wanting the numbers to look better than they are.  As I said, the flu death counts includes flu associated deaths; so what they're doing isn't to inflate the numbers and scare people, there's a reason they're doing it.

31 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Okay....   

1)  Here is the link to Indiana.  Deaths are down.  That was the point.  Let's stay away from spin and technicality.  Nobody wants to be "that guy."   Well...almost nobody.

2)  Conspiracy?  So you're assuming then that "presumptive deaths" is an accurate number, then?   The CDC...not exactly a conspiracy-laden organization, said 2 weeks ago that 78% of people who died "with" COVID 19 had a co-morbidity.  Those all count as COVID deaths.  They do NOT all count for the co-morbidity.  That's not deep state.  That's you SAYING it's deep state because you heard someone else say it is.  That's from the CDC.  But hey...spin it so you can believe it's a conspiracy.  That's easier when you disagree with something.   I get it,

Edit :  Here's an example from today.  4 month old with a heart condition goes into the hospital with a fever.   Initially tests negative for COVID-19, eventually tests positive.  Begins recovery from COVID-19.  Lungs clearing.  Something happens...nobody knows what, and she ends up tragically passing away.  Death counted as a COVID death, but nobody knows what she really died from.  But she died "with" COVID-19, even though she was in recovery.   This isn't deep state or conspiracy.  This is what's happening in the world if you're brave enough to look.    https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/494463-4-month-old-daughter-of-nyc-firefighter-dies-of-coronavirus-family

20 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Okay....   

1)  Here is the link to Indiana.  Deaths are down.  That was the point.  Let's stay away from spin and technicality.  Nobody wants to be "that guy."   Well...almost nobody.

You continue to display your ignorance on how death totals get posted.  The daily death totals will be in arrears for several days after the date of the actual death due to when the when they get filed and recorded by the state.  A 'technicality'.....LOL.  You are going to see the death totals for the three days you quoted keep going up for several days as the reports file in.  You.can.not. look at the last few days of data to make any conclusion.  Check the dates of the deaths that were added today:  only 7 out of the 44 deaths on the report for totals through yesterday were for deaths yesterday.  15 were from the day before, 7 two days before, 4 the day prior to that.  If that pattern follows, the 'less than 10 deaths' number you were floating previously is up to 32 for that day.  Stop trying to draw conclusions on incomplete data. Stop being 'that guy'.

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Hospitalizations are the really important number.  It tells us what is really happening.  Unfortunately it's harder to find. 

Raw cases are skewed by testing.  Looking at pct. positive will help identify if things are better or worse.  Deaths are a lagging indicator and don't help all that much.    

Agree -- hospitalizations are definitely an important factor as is available ICU beds and ventilators.  That data is actually available for Indiana on their coronavirus site.  Indiana is in decent shape right now in that respect (more so on ventilators than ICU beds).  It's to be seen what occurs after any restrictions are loosened.  That said, I am certain that increasing beds/ventilators does not keep the rate of death/hospitilazion the same due to the inability to proportionally increase staff.

Old fart correct if me if I’m wrong...

Apparently (from good source) Tyson has tested 2100 employees. Of the first small batch of 400 approximately 240 or so tested positive. Add those onto the already alarming large number and Cass county is going to be hurting.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wish you were wrong. 

Hard to believe we've had only 1 confirmed COVID-19 death.  Carroll Co. just starting to experience the same problem  --  same type of work force; living conditions, etc.  Mirrors what the hog processors have already experienced at Iowa and Colorado plants and probably other states as well.  Local OB/GYN doctor was on a podcast and said they've yet to see an expectant mother with the virus but just a matter of time.  Also yesterday, local hospital announced it will not be resuming elective surgeries on Monday as Gov. Holcomb authorized because the Cass County numbers are so bad and trending in the wrong direction.  Wanna buy a house?

From yesterday and probably see another jump when data is released tomorrow.  

Cass County now has 340 cases of COVID-19 and the highest infection rate per capita among Indiana counties, with nearly one percent of the total population testing positive. That number is far higher than the Indiana State Department of Health's data, which still shows 255 cases in Cass County. Only one death from the virus has been confirmed in Cass County. 

According to numbers released from Logansport Memorial Hospital on Friday afternoon, 241 of the 340 cases have been linked to Tyson Foods in Logansport. That is about 11 percent of the 2,200 employees at Tyson, with more tests still being processed.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I think there's a glitch on the state's website. It's showing Cass County with 315 positive cases and 297 tested. 

Did some people get tested more than once? lol

It's likely a delay in the reporting of the tests given out.  Today it says there were 60 positive tests from today alone but only 31 new tests recorded between 4/13 and 4/24.

My guess is that positive tests get reported right away but the total tests given out come from a different batch report.  I know the the Indiana gov takes the number of positive tests from the laboratory testing sites providing that information, but it could be that the counties themselves are providing the total number of tests given out.  Cass has had over 2/3 rds of their reported positive cases occur in the last four days, so a delay in the the governing body providing the total tests would throw those numbers off.  Cass lists 60 positive tests today but only 31 new tests recorded and those weren't all from today.

I put in an order today through a local farmer's consortium for goods (mostly meat).  Costs more (although I think we are headed toward) but do like putting money toward local grower's at this point.

Me and my wife had decided to take our stimulus money and put it toward local charities and businesses....we are in a position where at least for the near future, there isn't any effect on our jobs/pay.  We are both in education and while there are certainly going to be some implications to education due to loss in tax revenue, for the time being that isn't an issue.  Put money to the local food bank and donated to a local business that is certainly suffering right now but has been known to be one that has been known to be charitable toward others in need.

Anyone else have thoughts as to ideas to help out local economies/peole in this time of need?

Note to Indiana website on coronavirus death count:  scroll over the 'i' next to the total deaths and it will tell that this total is the total with a confirmed positive coronavirus test.  They have added a new total near the bottom of the page for 'presumptive deaths'....and it states that the presumptive cases are ones that have been ones where an X-ray, CT scan, or full clinical picture is consistent with covid but no positive covid-19 test was documented for the individual.  The important part is that, as the site states, the presumptive cases in Indiana have NOT been included in the official death count.

Point is that the number of actual corona virus deaths in Indiana is likely higher, not lower, than the state listed death count.