Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Florida is 21st in cases/million people and 22nd in deaths/million people despite doing everything 'wrong' according to the 'experts.' Texas is 38th in cases/million people and 41st in cases/million people. But go ahead and continue with the snarky comments. It's all you've been good for. 

The data in Texas has been very incomplete to say the least.  They have been incredibly inconsistent in their data reporting from the beginning to say the least.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/24/coronavirus-cases-in-texas-why-the-numbers-are-different-everywhere/

The great thing about Florida is they really do have some great health systems. The setup and flow is always phenomenal. NCH I would be content with. Lee Memorial is not in that category lol. Hopefully you guys are enjoying the pool. Sounds like it has been hot as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, not much else to do. My girlfriend owns a barber shop in Bonita Beach which is closed right now till this stuff runs its course but I needed a haircut so we went over this morning to do that. Then got a straight edge shave. Lol. My fun for the day. We picked up so KFC for lunch via drive through. NCH is just down the street from me in North Naples.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

If you mean belittling lies and misinformation then yes. Snarky. 

It’s currently in the 80s and Louisiana is one of the hardest hit areas. 

That doesn’t mean anything because it’s not scientific.  

Louisiana has the highest poverty rate in the country. It also has the 2nd highest percentage of African American residents. African Americans are being disproportionately affected by coronavirus. 
Do you know which states round out the rest of the top 10? New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, DC, Michigan, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. Not exactly places known for great spring weather. 
Let's go back to the post you took issue with. 
"Sunlight kills the virus quickly and it's hard to transmit outdoors anyway. People thought the spring breakers would cause hospital surges too, and that never happened. Going to the beach is low risk, and there is plenty of space."
"Sunlight kills the virus quickly": https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/sunlight-destroys-coronavirus-very-quickly-new-government-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html
"It's hard to transmit outdoors anyway.":
"In a study of 110 case-patients from 11 clusters in Japan, all clusters were associated with closed environments, including fitness centers, shared eating environments, and hospitals, the odds for transmission from a primary case-patient were 18.7 times higher than in open-air environments."
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/6/20-0495_article
"Hospital surges in Florida never happened."
[/url] "Going to the beach is low risk." : see above from cdc report about transmitting in open air environments.
"There is plenty of space." Easy to remain 6' away from people, as shown by this video.
Anything else you need my help with this afternoon?

Do you feel better about yourself after making comments like this?

If you do, feel free to continue. If you don’t, feel free to take a few minutes to determine what is really eating a you and address that.

The way in which we’re living absolutely sucks. I don’t like many people but I need social interaction. I struggle to get that atm. I find myself wanting to snap at the few people that I do interact with but I don’t because I know they have zero to do with why we’re having to deal with this. If I snap at them they become agitated and it just continues. I’d prefer to deal with my emotions a bit differently to try an ease the stress we’re all having to deal with.

Attempting to get back in shape and cussing like a sailor at random things (not people) have been blessings in my daily life. I hope you (both) find those little stress relievers in your life soon too.

Got this from somewhere else...

Did previous civilizations deal with whiners like this?

"Man, we've gotta open the gates."

"We've been through this, Phil. The Mongols are still outside." 

"But I've gotta harvest my turnips." 

"MONGOLS"

"Ugh. But we've been in here for WEEKS." 

"That's how sieges work, Phil." 

"But the Mongols have barely killed anyone in days."

"That's because of the walls, Phil." 

"Are you sure? Maybe the Mongols aren't that dangerous." 

"..."

**** it, you two should each get one non lethal weapon and go at it. We’ll televise it for those who are staying home.

State your case, read the other persons stance, if you don’t understand ask a question, if you disagree go find some legit sources that back it up, post them, repeat.

Calling other posters names quickly diminishes your argument.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

As Aloha said, argue your point and express your opinion, but do not level personal insults.

If you think a poster is out of line, let the mods take care of it and/or flag it for mod attention.

Thanks all

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m literally just listening to the experts. Mr we won’t ever see Italy numbers here 

So US is at 123 deaths/1m and Italy is at 391 deaths/1m.  In order to get even close to Italy, we would need upwards of 120,000 deaths.  None of your so called experts are calling for that number these days.  So yeah, we aren't Italy.  And before you start, population maters.  But whatever.  

So US is at 123 deaths/1m and Italy is at 391 deaths/1m.  In order to get even close to Italy, we would need upwards of 120,000 deaths.  None of your so called experts are calling for that number these days.  So yeah, we aren't Italy.  And before you start, population maters.  But whatever.  

See: Mongols. Posted above.

I’d encourage everyone to download the app and setup an account (it takes about 3 minutes) and then report daily (about 1 minute). You can do this even if you’re completely healthy. It was created to provide data to scientist for studies. (Potential outbreaks, hotspots, etc.)

Information about the app

https://covid.joinzoe.com/us

Article with more info about the program

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04331509

It only takes a few minutes to do and can help tremendously. I just recently went through a section of coursework dealing with AI. The more data collected the better AI works. The same goes for a program like this. The more data they can collect (you don’t have to submit ANY personal data) the better the program works. DO IT!!

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’d encourage everyone to download the app and setup an account (it takes about 3 minutes) and then report daily (about 1 minute). You can do this even if you’re completely healthy. It was created to provide data to scientist for studies. (Potential outbreaks, hotspots, etc.)

Information about the app

https://covid.joinzoe.com/us

Article with more info about the program

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04331509

It only takes a few minutes to do and can help tremendously. I just recently went through a section of coursework dealing with AI. The more data collected the better AI works. The same goes for a program like this. The more data they can collect (you don’t have to submit ANY personal data) the better the program works. DO IT!!

Done!  Took me about 5 minutes to set mine up (i type really slow lol).  

On 4/17/2020 at 9:27 PM, HoosierAloha said:

One idiot who was immediately called out to the point he had to apologize and correct himself?

Come to my town.  You might change your mind regarding the amount of people saying those things.  Last week, I literally had to explain to a very good highly intelligent friend with an engineering degree that while car fatalities are high and are unfortunate the comparison is misleading and disingenuous.   I had to explain the math and how an exponential virus works.  I then proceeded to send him a link so he could get a nice visual and better understanding of why we are reacting the way we are.  On a personal note/dig to my good friend, it appears his Purdue degree doesn't seem to be working out to well for him!  ;-)
https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/not-like-the-flu-not-like-car-crashes-not-like

Just yesterday, my neighbor compared this virus to the flu.  I'm not sure if you've seen all the protest taking place at state capitals across the nation where there are various signs of why folks are protesting.  Some of those signs are just Darwinism happening right before our very eyes. 

On March 24, 2020, Trump said this regarding COVID-19:
"We lose thousands of people a year to the flu. We never turn the country off..”
“We lose much more than that to automobile accidents. We didn’t call up the automobile companies and say, ‘Stop making cars,’”

So I have to ask you, why do you think the people I've been experiencing are saying these things?  I mean Dr. Phil is a popular dude and he made similar comments to Trump days (April 16, 2020) later, on a news media outlet that highly influences a large percent of the population and the talking head he was addressing just nodded her head in agreement.

14 hours ago, 8bucks said:

The problem is there are experts that say one thing and some that say the opposite. Depends on what you want to hear and what channel you want to watch.

Exactly.  That's my point about seeing this virus through the shade of a certain color.  At some point this virus will dissolve all that.  

14 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

You still haven’t caught onto the fact that we are behind Italy.  It would be sad if it weren’t so dangerous. 

14 hours ago, 8bucks said:

The problem is there are experts that say one thing and some that say the opposite. Depends on what you want to hear and what channel you want to watch.

The news isn’t where you should be going for experts. Dr Phil is a hack at what his degree is in. Much less things that aren’t in his degree. 

If somebody is trotting him out as an “expert”. It’s because they couldn’t get somebody qualified to actually say what they wanted. 

2 hours ago, mamasa said:

Done!  Took me about 5 minutes to set mine up (i type really slow lol).  

Thank you!  (I get zero from it but I appreciate anyone willing to help out for the greater good)  Although, you're not in Monroe County so it won't help our numbers to more accurately track Monroe County it will help your county, the state, the country, and the world.

I read they're developing an online application for this too.  I'm sure that would help certain users to reduce time in filling the information out.  5 minutes isn't bad but it's not 3 minutes!  haha

58 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Come to my town.  You might change your mind regarding the amount of people saying those things.  Last week, I literally had to explain to a very good highly intelligent friend with an engineering degree that while car fatalities are high and are unfortunate the comparison is misleading and disingenuous.   I had to explain the math and how an exponential virus works.  I then proceeded to send him a link so he could get a nice visual and better understanding of why we are reacting the way we are.  On a personal note/dig to my good friend, it appears his Purdue degree doesn't seem to be working out to well for him!  ;-)
https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/not-like-the-flu-not-like-car-crashes-not-like

Just yesterday, my neighbor compared this virus to the flu.  I'm not sure if you've seen all the protest taking place at state capitals across the nation where there are various signs of why folks are protesting.  Some of those signs are just Darwinism happening right before our very eyes. 

On March 24, 2020, Trump said this regarding COVID-19:
"We lose thousands of people a year to the flu. We never turn the country off..”
“We lose much more than that to automobile accidents. We didn’t call up the automobile companies and say, ‘Stop making cars,’”

So I have to ask you, why do you think the people I've been experiencing are saying these things?  I mean Dr. Phil is a popular dude and he made similar comments to Trump days (April 16, 2020) later, on a news media outlet that highly influences a large percent of the population and the talking head he was addressing just nodded her head in agreement.

As a popular 20th Century figure's mother once said, "stupid is as stupid does." 

I get that people need to work in order to feed themselves and/or their families.  Unfortunately, there will always be a handful of stupid in any group.  Hopefully, there isn't too much stupid that overwhelms any one healthcare system. 

While taking several trips to Japan, I fell in love with the Japanese culture.  One of the greatest strengths of Japan is the idiom   "出る釘は打たれる" translated "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down."  This works for a number of different situations but is applied in the Japanese business model.  Basically, know your job, do your job, and do it well.  This applies to their society at large.  They respect their politicians and listen to their public service messages.  I believe this is one of the reasons they've been on the lower end of the spectrum in regards to COVID-19.  (I believe there are many other reasons for that as well)