Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

This is a hilarious tweet from Cody Zeller -

Is my mom a drug dealer or just placing a carryout order?

“I’ll pull around to the back of the building at 12:30. I’ll be driving a white SUV. You can open the back door on the passenger side. Take the cash on the seat and leave the bag. We can’t have any contact!”

12 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sunlight kills the virus quickly and it's hard to transmit outdoors anyway. People thought the spring breakers would cause hospital surges too, and that never happened. Going to the beach is low risk, and there is plenty of space. 

Sunlight kills it quickly?  For the couple of days that Indiana will get Sunlight in the next four weeks or so, that's good news.

12 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Sunlight kills it quickly?  For the couple of days that Indiana will get Sunlight in the next four weeks or so, that's good news.

Ummm. I’ve been in South Florida and we’ve had the driest, sunniest March on record, and a hit and humid April. Highs most days in the low-mid 80’s in March, and up near 90 every day for the past few weeks.

The sunlight and heat thing just doesn’t seem to be at all valid.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

But the dude on the internet said it worked 

Two things getting tested here that aren't necessarily the same......reaction to heat and reaction to sunlight (or electromagnetic waves).  But if it were simply about em wave reactions, I don't know that there would really be any difference int the reaction to sunlight than there would be to man-made incandescent or fluorescent lighting.

Anyway, the two tests here are much, much different.  The one cited by The Hill has a known scientist, a known experiment, and data that can be peer reviewed.  The reaction to sunlight one is a 'leaked' report which offers no opportunity to verify or refute.  And I'm very suspicious of any 'leaked' report that suggests we could open the economy up sooner.  If the data appears verifiable, there is 1000% reason to release it publicly for peer review.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Two things getting tested here that aren't necessarily the same......reaction to heat and reaction to sunlight (or electromagnetic waves).  But if it were simply about em wave reactions, I don't know that there would really be any difference int the reaction to sunlight than there would be to man-made incandescent or fluorescent lighting.

Anyway, the two tests here are much, much different.  The one cited by The Hill has a known scientist, a known experiment, and data that can be peer reviewed.  The reaction to sunlight one is a 'leaked' report which offers no opportunity to verify or refute.  And I'm very suspicious of any 'leaked' report that suggests we could open the economy up sooner.  If the data appears verifiable, there is 1000% reason to release it publicly for peer review.

For the past month in South Florida we’ve had abnormally high amounts of sunshine in March, heat that is above most of the country’s summer temps, hit and humid in April, and plenty of COVID.

I think that’s substantially more than anecdotal evidence .

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

It's UV light that attacks viruses.  And if I read the news report right, the leaked report was in the process of review which is why they said it was too early to draw conclusions.    

48 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For the past month in South Florida we’ve had abnormally high amounts of sunshine in March, heat that is above most of the country’s summer temps, hit and humid in April, and plenty of COVID.

I think that’s substantially more than anecdotal evidence .

Is there though?  Worldmeters has Florida above the average (USA 11,000/1m) in tests at about 12,500/1m and below average in cases (USA 2257/1m) at 1262/1m.  It would be interesting to see the detailed Florida data.    

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

Is there though?  Worldmeters has Florida above the average (USA 11,000/1m) in tests at about 12,500/1m and below average in cases (USA 2257/1m) at 1262/1m.  It would be interesting to see the detailed Florida data.    

Just looked at Worldmeter current stats; an unscientific eyeballing seemed to show that the top two states of per capita deaths are NY and Louisiana.

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

But the dude on the internet said it worked 

Florida is 21st in cases/million people and 22nd in deaths/million people despite doing everything 'wrong' according to the 'experts.' Texas is 38th in cases/million people and 41st in cases/million people. But go ahead and continue with the snarky comments. It's all you've been good for. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Florida is 21st in cases/million people and 22nd in deaths/million people despite doing everything 'wrong' according to the 'experts.' But go ahead and continue with the snarky comments. It's all you've been good for. 

If you mean belittling lies and misinformation then yes. Snarky. 

It’s currently in the 80s and Louisiana is one of the hardest hit areas. 

That doesn’t mean anything because it’s not scientific.  

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Florida is 21st in cases/million people and 22nd in deaths/million people despite doing everything 'wrong' according to the 'experts.' But go ahead and continue with the snarky comments. It's all you've been good for. 

Florida does not have dense urban centers commensurate with its population. Neither does California or amTexas. Their big cities are spread out a bit except for San Fran

Just looked at Worldmeter current stats; an unscientific eyeballing seemed to show that the top two states of per capita deaths are NY and Louisiana.

Yeah, this stuff isn’t going to die off like the flu. It’s been 90 degrees here for awhile. Need some rain. Thing it might wash away? Lol. Most of Florida doesn’t have many people with it. Only the places the NYC folks go to. Leon county, our capitol has very little. You guys are over 2100. Collier has 450 and lee county has 753. Poor Dade is up to 9166 and Broward is at 3960. Crazy that we don’t expect to peak for another two weeks or so. No hospital problems though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If you mean belittling lies and misinformation then yes. Snarky. 

It’s currently in the 80s and Louisiana is one of the hardest hit areas. 

That doesn’t mean anything because it’s not scientific.  

Louisiana has the highest poverty rate in the country. It also has the 2nd highest percentage of African American residents. African Americans are being disproportionately affected by coronavirus. 

Do you know which states round out the rest of the top 10? New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, DC, Michigan, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. Not exactly places known for great spring weather. 

Let's go back to the post you took issue with. 

"Sunlight kills the virus quickly and it's hard to transmit outdoors anyway. People thought the spring breakers would cause hospital surges too, and that never happened. Going to the beach is low risk, and there is plenty of space."

"Sunlight kills the virus quickly": https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/sunlight-destroys-coronavirus-very-quickly-new-government-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html

"It's hard to transmit outdoors anyway.":

"In a study of 110 case-patients from 11 clusters in Japan, all clusters were associated with closed environments, including fitness centers, shared eating environments, and hospitals, the odds for transmission from a primary case-patient were 18.7 times higher than in open-air environments."

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/6/20-0495_article

"Hospital surges in Florida never happened."

"Going to the beach is low risk." : see above from cdc report about transmitting in open air environments.

"There is plenty of space." Easy to remain 6' away from people, as shown by this video.

Anything else you need my help with this afternoon?

Yeah, this stuff isn’t going to die off like the flu. It’s been 90 degrees here for awhile. Need some rain. Thing it might wash away? Lol. Most of Florida doesn’t have many people with it. Only the places the NYC folks go to. Leon county, our capitol has very little. You guys are over 2100. Collier has 450 and lee county has 753. Poor Dade is up to 9166 and Broward is at 3960. Crazy that we don’t expect to peak for another two weeks or so. No hospital problems though.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

The great thing about Florida is they really do have some great health systems. The setup and flow is always phenomenal. NCH I would be content with. Lee Memorial is not in that category lol. Hopefully you guys are enjoying the pool. Sounds like it has been hot as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app