Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Yes, some wear it to protect from pollution.

My point is that not everyone is wearing them in big Asian cities but we haven’t seen what we’re seeing in NYC there. Why?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Because they instituted screening and testing almost a month before us?  

Because they instituted screening and testing almost a month before us?  

Okay, so when they tested a few people they hadn’t passed it on to others? You do realize how crowded those cities are, how just a few cases should have caused a handful more, which should have caused more, and more..?

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Okay, so when they tested a few people they hadn’t passed it on to others? You do realize how crowded those cities are, how just a few cases should have caused a handful more, which should have caused more, and more..?

They didn’t test just a few people. They have tested a higher percentage of their population than us. At least in the case of South Korea and Hong Kong. Taiwan locked down early enough they didn’t have to. 

And yeah I’m well aware of how it spread but those countries instituted lock downs and social distancing when the cases were in the dozens. And when somebody got tested and they had it they isolated them and their families to protect others. Instead we’ve got people here with it going to church because they couldn’t get a test. 

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

They didn’t test just a few people. They have tested a higher percentage of their population than us. At least in the case of South Korea and Hong Kong. Taiwan locked down early enough they didn’t have to. 

And yeah I’m well aware of how it spread but those countries instituted lock downs and social distancing when the cases were in the dozens. And when somebody got tested and they had it they isolated them and their families to protect others. Instead we’ve got people here with it going to church because they couldn’t get a test. 

I would also add the testing included contact tracing.  That was huge!  Because they completely understand the math behind this virus.  In addition, they also have been through contagion scares in the not so distant past thus were better prepared for this.  

But make no mistake, every country we're talking about will continue to see new cases and more deaths.  In South Korea, as of today, more than 140 seemingly recovered patients have retested positive for COVID-19.  

This indicates that wide scale testing, while it's important and we need it, isn't going to control this virus.  Also, what I think is being lost in translation among the talking heads on the television is that effective wide scale testing isn't going to be available in days or weeks.  But instead we're looking at months for the availability.  Furthermore, the FDA opened the flood gates for corporate businesses to go all Yosemite Sam on the testing market.  Of the 70 tests that just got approved 35 were junk, that's the FDA's own words.  So how effective the tests are will be an issue.

On a personal note, this country needs a major national presence to provide the leadership.  While the private sector should be there the leadership needs to be straight up honest with the reality of the situation and not promise false hope.  Science has wrecked havoc on false hope and will continue to do so.  Science doesn't care about party affiliation, network media outlets or the stock market. 

This virus won't miss one community, it won't miss one county, it won't miss one state.  Rural areas are going to be disproportionately hit.  It won't come as quickly.  It's just a matter of time.  It's us vs. the virus.

Again, at some point we as a nation won't see the color red or blue.  We'll see the color COVID.

Fro the Fox News article:

"The “increasing confidence” comes from classified and open-source documents and evidence, the sources said. Fox News has requested to see the evidence directly."

FWIW, news agencies are not supposed to report stories based on classified materials, and are sure as heck not supposed to request to see those materials. That concept is certainly not restricted to Fox, and it is a disturbing trend generally.

"The “increasing confidence” comes from classified and open-source documents and evidence, the sources said. Fox News has requested to see the evidence directly."

FWIW, news agencies are not supposed to report stories based on classified materials, and are sure as heck not supposed to request to see those materials. That concept is certainly not restricted to Fox, and it is a disturbing trend generally.

What’s more disturbing is those with clearances and signed NDA’s are providing this information..

12 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

What’s more disturbing is those with clearances and signed NDA’s are providing this information..

Or someone is making up or leaking a false story to try to dictate the national conversation and place blame on others/boogeymen.

IMO that’s the scariest thing as those things are set up for a reason. If they are that scared of Trump and his attempts to be a dictator, then the government along with its checks and balances have failed the nation. But this should never have happened.

11 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

My point is that not everyone is wearing them in big Asian cities but we haven’t seen what we’re seeing in NYC there. Why?

We know that the data cannot be trusted. The data going in is bad, so obviously the data coming out is as well.

The CDC's own website said that their case and death totals include both confirmed and "presumptive positive" cases. Recently, they changed presumptive to "probable," but then go on to say it's based on presumptive evidence. Many have already said the symptoms vary wildly from one case to the next, so I'm not sure how accurate presumptive case are.

Oddly enough, the CDC's web site also says the RT-PCR test that is being used for diagnosis is not to be used for diagnostic purposes and that they can't guarantee all results are accurate. All pretty odd stuff...

Or someone is making up or leaking a false story to try to dictate the national conversation and place blame on others/boogeymen.

The same as the leak that US intel had this back in November/December? How many dots have to be connected before it blinds us? There has been **** going on in/from China for decades and we’ve chosen to ignore them.

IMO that’s the scariest thing as those things are set up for a reason. If they are that scared of Trump and his attempts to be a dictator, then the government along with its checks and balances have failed the nation. But this should never have happened.

That talk is from the same ****tards that believe the sky is falling if that news outlet tells them so. There needs to be some serious investigation into a lot of the leaks but we know it’s members of Congress who don’t do **** all of what they were elected to do but run to the media to leak **** when their ego gets hurt.

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Unfortunately, it wouldn't take much for that to fail; the party in power putting political gain above all else and the checks and balances will fail.  Trump has undeniable authoritarian tendencies and has said more than once he has absolute power, even though constitutionally he doesn't, more than ever Congress has to be willing to enforce their own power to hold him in line.

16 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

There is no easy answer to any of this.   (And I'm going to reply to several messages at once...sorry!!!!!)

Some of it likely has to do with immunity, even if nobody wants to admit that.  Some has to do with China's numbers....there is no possible way their numbers are right.  The US has 50 sovereign states.  Japan, for example, was able to mitigate based on one decision.  Same w South Korea.  Trump had no authority to close anything, so he didn't use what he didn't have.   Governors did base their own recommendations on his information, but HIS information was poor from the beginning.   So was Dr. Fauci's. That's on China, not him.  Some is also based on compliance. 

But many disagree regardless of facts, and the debate would be pointless.  I see so many people here just throwing blame at Trump and his "putting politics first"  I find it disgusting and intellectually dishonest.  In fact?  I saw him act and do more to protect the US long before many others even suggested it.  A month later, others were claiming this was no more dangerous than the flu.  CNN raked him over the coals calling him a racist and xenophobe; as did Biden.

I would love to have an honest debate with anyone about this, but it's not possible.  Everyone's mind is made up.  It's either Trump's fault or it's not.  There are some vile people in Washington.  There ARE people who are putting politics first but Trump isn't one of them.   That, however is my opinion, and I know there are people who disagree with that simply for the sake of it; and that's a problem.  The truth is?  Trump is not a politician.  He's a business man.  Joe Biden?  49 years in politics and famous for saying "government has failed you."   I find that ironic.  Nancy Pelosi..33 years in politics.   You're telling me Trump's 3 years and the economy we just came from is to blame for all of this?   That's a ridiculous claim.  A reaction to a man people don't like.  

There are many of these, but this is from February 24th.  24 days AFTER Trump put a travel ban on China.    The blame?  The reason?  The Chinese government is communist and it did what communists do.   It lied and it covered up.  THAT's why we're in trouble,

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1250868745989316608?s=20

There is no easy answer to any of this.   (And I'm going to reply to several messages at once...sorry!!!!!)
Some of it likely has to do with immunity, even if nobody wants to admit that.  Some has to do with China's numbers....there is no possible way their numbers are right.  The US has 50 sovereign states.  Japan, for example, was able to mitigate based on one decision.  Same w South Korea.  Trump had no authority to close anything, so he didn't use what he didn't have.   Governors did base their own recommendations on his information, but HIS information was poor from the beginning.   So was Dr. Fauci's. That's on China, not him.  Some is also based on compliance. 
But many disagree regardless of facts, and the debate would be pointless.  I see so many people here just throwing blame at Trump and his "putting politics first"  I find it disgusting and intellectually dishonest.  In fact?  I saw him act and do more to protect the US long before many others even suggested it.  A month later, others were claiming this was no more dangerous than the flu.  CNN raked him over the coals calling him a racist and xenophobe; as did Biden.
 I would love to have an honest debate with anyone about this, but it's not possible.  Everyone's mind is made up.  It's either Trump's fault or it's not.  There are some vile people in Washington.  There ARE people who are putting politics first but Trump isn't one of them.   That, however is my opinion, and I know there are people who disagree with that simply for the sake of it; and that's a problem.  The truth is?  Trump is not a politician.  He's a business man.  Joe Biden?  49 years in politics and famous for saying "government has failed you."   I find that ironic.  Nancy Pelosi..33 years in politics.   You're telling me Trump's 3 years and the economy we just came from is to blame for all of this?   That's a ridiculous claim.  A reaction to a man people don't like.  
There are many of these, but this is from February 24th.  24 days AFTER Trump put a travel ban on China.    The blame?  The reason?  The Chinese government is communist and it did what communists do.   It lied and it covered up.  THAT's why we're in trouble,
https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1250868745989316608?s=20

No need to apologize. I have zero party affiliation and zero interest claiming one side or the other because (this is a broad brush I’m using here) THEY tend to vote on what is best for their party or what will get them where they want to go. What in the **** kind of leadership is that?! I’ve been blessed to be around some of the best leaders this country has but they’d never make it in politics because they’re stand up people doing what’s right and not what’s popular.

I’ve never seen a single person bat 1000 but I’ve seen plenty of leaders **** up, admit it, study it, and come back even better. What do we get? Cover ups, deflections, blame others, and every possible wrong outcome you can imagine. Part of that stems from how divided we’ve become. That’s horseshit too. We (the people) deserve a lot of blame in how we’ve conducted ourselves that’s resulted in this divide too.

I have more theories than are worth discussing. I think immunity has something to do with it. Social interaction and masks can further explain some of it. Testing and tracing play a role. I just don’t see how the west has been hit so hard on this and others, that probably should have, haven’t been hit as hard.

How in the **** did China stop domestic flights from Wuhan but didn’t restrict international flights?! I have a friend from Wuhan, who was lucky to have been able to get out in the countryside who has been asking some of these same questions. If there aren’t serious questions and investigations into China after the fact we’re in a lot worse position than I thought we were before this.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The President is NOT putting politics first.

He IS, however, requiring that his name be printed on each and every United States government stimulus check . Lol

That's a hoax by those do nothing democrats!

Edit:  don't forget the media!  It's their fault too.

Edited by Josh