Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

Something about this whole thing just isn’t sitting right with me. I get that epidemics and pandemics happen but this whole thing has been wild.

I remembered a story my dad was talking about when he visited Btown a few months back. A Harvard professor was busted for being a member of China’s “Thousand Talents Plan.” The Professor was being paid a good chunk of change to do research for this program. You’ll never believe the university he was associated with in China.. Wuhan University of Technology.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/harvard-university-professor-and-two-chinese-nationals-charged-three-separate-china-related

This whole thing is messed up. How many random diseases have come out of China in the last 20 years?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Something about this whole thing just isn’t sitting right with me. I get that epidemics and pandemics happen but this whole thing has been wild.

I remembered a story my dad was talking about when he visited Btown a few months back. A Harvard professor was busted for being a member of China’s “Thousand Talents Plan.” The Professor was being paid a good chunk of change to do research for this program. You’ll never believe the university he was associated with in China.. Wuhan University of Technology.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/harvard-university-professor-and-two-chinese-nationals-charged-three-separate-china-related

This whole thing is messed up. How many random diseases have come out of China in the last 20 years?

It’s my personal belief countries develop biological weapons. It’s also my belief China isn’t very good at quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It’s my personal belief countries develop biological weapons. It’s also my belief China isn’t very good at quality control.

It doesn’t need to be your personal belief. There’s enough evidence out there that countries develop them. I was never able to research enough of China to know quality control but I know Russia is/was horrible at quality control of weapons. The US has many built in failsafe mechanisms to protect maintenance, loaders, and shooters. Russia couldn’t care less about them as long as the weapons went boom. I’m guess, with China having learned from Russia, they have many of the same strategies.

As far as biological weapons, how is this impacting the East vs. West? Are eastern countries overcoming this quicker/better because of social norms or other biological reasons?

Regardless, this whole situation just doesn’t seem right. There is way more to this outbreak that hasn’t hit the headlines.

It doesn’t need to be your personal belief. There’s enough evidence out there that countries develop them. I was never able to research enough of China to know quality control but I know Russia is/was horrible at quality control of weapons. The US has many built in failsafe mechanisms to protect maintenance, loaders, and shooters. Russia couldn’t care less about them as long as the weapons went boom. I’m guess, with China having learned from Russia, they have many of the same strategies.

As far as biological weapons, how is this impacting the East vs. West? Are eastern countries overcoming this quicker/better because of social norms or other biological reasons?

Regardless, this whole situation just doesn’t seem right. There is way more to this outbreak that hasn’t hit the headlines.

Fully agree. We will never really know.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Because studying the outbreak and origin to prevent it from happening again is overrated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/news/china-implements-new-restrictions-on-academic-research-into-coronavirus-origins/amp/

Call me crazy, but China existing is bad for the planet!

I think my response is more reserved than most but even I think something needs done. Perhaps Taiwan needs a little official recognition 

Who’s Taiwan? It’s Chinese Taipei in the olympics for a reason..

What are the top 6-7 countries with the most cases of COVID-19..? China is lying out of their ******* teeth on this so they should be counted in but the rest are all western countries. How has S. Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Indonesia, etc. avoided getting hit hard by this?!

**** the stupid politics being thrown about during this pandemic. Why are news outlets more focused on the politics and not investigating or questioning what has happened?! I know the media is just as dumb, if not dumber, than politicians but this ******* stinks.

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

**** the stupid politics being thrown about during this pandemic. Why are news outlets more focused on the politics and not investigating or questioning what has happened?! I know the media is just as dumb, if not dumber, than politicians but this ******* stinks.

I agree, but it certainly isn't just the media.  Most every politician is vocal as hell about being completely partisan to the point of blaming the other party for everything.  

I'm sorry, I'm just so tired of everybody not accepting any blame and instead blaming the media for everything.  

28 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Who’s Taiwan? It’s Chinese Taipei in the olympics for a reason..

What are the top 6-7 countries with the most cases of COVID-19..? China is lying out of their ******* teeth on this so they should be counted in but the rest are all western countries. How has S. Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Indonesia, etc. avoided getting hit hard by this?!

One difference.  Asian countries tend to wear masks with regard to illnesses.  Our experts told us a mask wouldn't help.  

One difference.  Asian countries tend to wear masks with regard to illnesses.  Our experts told us a mask wouldn't help.  

I’ve lived in several Asian countries and visited more than a few more. They have the common decency to wear masks when they’re sick. That still doesn’t explain the numbers. How has Tokyo avoided what NYC is going through? How has S. Korea seemed to have avoided the whole thing? Testing and quarantine help, as well masks, but that doesn’t account for everything. This just doesn’t add up. There’s more people crammed into subway cars in Tokyo during peak hours than most of the small towns in Indiana.

I agree, but it certainly isn't just the media.  Most every politician is vocal as hell about being completely partisan to the point of blaming the other party for everything.  
I'm sorry, I'm just so tired of everybody not accepting any blame and instead blaming the media for everything.  

They’re both to blame. Why hasn’t the dumb****s in the media and on the hill been going after China?!

If China truly only had 3,300ish deaths in the entire ******* country why aren’t they (the dumb****s references above) asking more questions?! If they’re throwing figures against the wall (more likely) why aren’t they (again, the dumb****s mentioned above) going after them?

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’ve lived in several Asian countries and visited more than a few more. They have the common decency to wear masks when they’re sick. That still doesn’t explain the numbers. How has Tokyo avoided what NYC is going through? How has S. Korea seemed to have avoided the whole thing? Testing and quarantine help, as well masks, but that doesn’t account for everything. This just doesn’t add up. There’s more people crammed into subway cars in Tokyo during peak hours than most of the small towns in Indiana.

I don't doubt it doesn't add up.  My own personal theory is that the virus is actually air born -- a lot more than they think.  Thus the mask being extremely effective at preventing the spread.        

I don't doubt it doesn't add up.  My own personal theory is that the virus is actually air born -- a lot more than they think.  Thus the mask being extremely effective at preventing the spread.        

Okay, let’s go from that theory. How many streets have you walked in Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Singapore, etc. that everyone had a mask on? How many subways and restaurants? Yes, Asian countries tend to have more people wearing masks but not everyone is wearing masks. I’ve had friends send photos from the previous months of people in subways without masks. It doesn’t make sense.

2 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Okay, let’s go from that theory. How many streets have you walked in Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Singapore, etc. that everyone had a mask on? How many subways and restaurants? Yes, Asian countries tend to have more people wearing masks but not everyone is wearing masks. I’ve had friends send photos from the previous months of people in subways without masks. It doesn’t make sense.

Most of that's due to pollution, though.

28 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

If it were airborne "a lot more," we'd have more cases.   It's more so than they thought originally, but now almost every paper on how people catch it focuses on enclosed/tight spaces around infected people/person for an extended period of time; and it attacks weak immune systems WAY harder than healthy ones, which is why there's such a problem in nursing homes.

33 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

They’re both to blame. Why hasn’t the dumb****s in the media and on the hill been going after China?!

If China truly only had 3,300ish deaths in the entire ******* country why aren’t they (the dumb****s references above) asking more questions?! If they’re throwing figures against the wall (more likely) why aren’t they (again, the dumb****s mentioned above) going after them?

Because the dunb **** media has another target.  They've dug their bunker and they can't dig out, so they're just digging deeper regardless of the evidence against China.  And they look more and more foolish doing so.

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Because the dunb **** media has another target.  They've dug their bunker and they can't dig out, so they're just digging deeper regardless of the evidence against China.  And they look more and more foolish doing so.

Lol  that’s all I can say this is just funny