Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

I used to do false claims work for the state and had a lot of cases (LOT) in the pharmaceuticals industry. 

It is perfectly legal for a physician to prescribe a drug for off label use (medical knowledge, first amendment issue). It is agianst the law for a pharmaceutical to advertise or otherwise influence doctors to prescribe a drug for any use that isn’t approved by the FDA. 

More clearly stated: Company A develops Drug B and it is approved for X by FDA. Doctor does research and finds Drug A can be used to treat Y. Doctor can publish findings in medical journal and doctors can use Drug B for Y. Company A cannot advertise That Drug B does Y until it gets FDA approval. 

True that. But I don’t see them rushing a drug through FDA to push out to 100,000 people either. A few dilemmas in that. If the doctors want to do their own trials they can. But they aren’t going to in most cases take away supply explicitly purchased for someone in mind with an existing condition. There will be a few doctors for sure but not until it gets a thorough examination. I am sure that’s going down now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

44 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

The skeptic in you should be questioning if the current number isn't too low instead of too high since it would not have included those who actually were infected and died but were not counted because they were never tested.  Saying the 'cynic' in you wonders if 'they are doing this to inflate the numbers' makes me wonder if you are just a conspiracist.

https://news.yahoo.com/fauci-dismisses-conspiracy-theories-to-spin-the-coronavirus-death-toll-132059427.html

“You can’t rely on just the laboratory-confirmed cases,” Marc-Alain Widdowson, an epidemiologist who left the CDC last year and now serves as director of the Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp in Belgium, told the Post. “You’re never going to apply the test on everybody who is ill and everybody who dies. So without doubt — it’s a truism — the number of deaths are underestimated globally.”

Maybe we are, but doesn't this pose the risk of going too far in the other direction? We're currently focusing on testing people with suspected cases, and only 15-20% of those tests come back positive. If they have that much trouble figuring out who has it while they're alive, why believe they'd be much better at predicting suspected cases when they're dead? The symptoms are very similar to other illnesses.

Maybe we are, but doesn't this pose the risk of going too far in the other direction? We're currently focusing on testing people with suspected cases, and only 15-20% of those tests come back positive. If they have that much trouble figuring out who has it while they're alive, why believe they'd be much better at predicting suspected cases when they're dead? The symptoms are very similar to other illnesses.

It’s a fair question I am not sure we will ever know.

What is the rationale for this? Counting people who die with coronavirus as dying from coronavirus is one thing. But counting people who haven't even been tested as coronavirus deaths? That seems... Suspicious. The cynic in me says it's to inflate the numbers. Do they do this with any other virus?
[/url]  

Label me a conspiracy theorist all you want. (Not you, but others) I don’t care one bit. So many parts of what is going on doesn’t add up. Too much politics involved. Too much money at play. Big pharma has a lot to gain. China. The WHO, the CDC. Convenient timing.
The numbers don’t add up. Never have, even the areas that got hit big.

NYC now to include home deaths in the tally of Covid19 deaths regardless of testing.

2 hours ago, BlueDevil said:

Can someone explain to me why it’s predicted we will go into a recession? Super ignorant on the topic so sorry if it seems like a dumbass question. I see the Dow has been on the rise but don’t know if that is irrelevant. Is the recession to come?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

There have been a lot of good answers to this.  I'd also like to add that when companies start to hire again, the demand for jobs will be high with the massive unemployment.  Because of this, the companies can offer far less than the job used to pay and will get plenty of applicants.  I also anticipate many companies will not be contributing as much to 401K matches for a while due to massive losses in sales.

We ain't getting back to good for a while

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Label me a conspiracy theorist all you want. (Not you, but others) I don’t care one bit. So many parts of what is going on doesn’t add up. Too much politics involved. Too much money at play. Big pharma has a lot to gain. China. The WHO, the CDC. Convenient timing.

NYC now to include home deaths in the tally of Covid19 deaths regardless of testing.

Wow. They're counting all home deaths as Covid19 deaths even without testing? There's a lot of smoke, and they aren't exactly quelling the conspiracy theory fires with policies like this. I just don't know what their play is. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Wow. They're counting all home deaths as Covid19 deaths even without testing? There's a lot of smoke, and they aren't exactly quelling the conspiracy theory fires with policies like this. I just don't know what their play is. 

Money and power!

29 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Check out Bill Gates and ID2020

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

And previously we were treating some in the absence of tests because we didn't have enough.  And if the treatment isn't going to change because of how bad someone's breathing patterns are, I'd rather we not waste resources and just go ahead and treat.

Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez is not granting  an extra year for senior spring athletes, despite the NCAA allowing for this, at each school’s discretion. Could cause an interesting pickle for Wisconsin if football gets cancelled this year. Let the fall senior athletes have an extra year and not the spring? Or would Wisconsin senior football players be for the taking?

So is there a baby yet?

Not yet. We get induced Monday night. So likely Tuesday. Her brother last 8 days over his due date. Looks like lil sis will last 9. I know he was born about 24 hours after we showed up to the hospital. Hopefully she’s the same. But I’ll let everyone know when she’s born lol.

Indiana report today:   after a couple of days where there was a down tick in confirmed daily positive tests, yesterday saw the highest number of positive tests we've had (568).  Total death count hit the 300 mark.

If other states are like Indiana, there is one thing to keep in mind on death counts as opposed to positive tests:  it seems positive test data is collected much faster than death count date.  State laws vary greatly.  When you see daily death counts in Indiana, what you are seeing is the best data they have at the time.  It gets adjusted as the data rolls in, so you there are cases where a person has died but the death report has not been filed yet.

Here is what I found on one Indiana county's page that explains when a coroner is called in:

Coroners have jurisdiction over all deaths that occur in their county under suspicious, unusual or unnatural circumstances. The Coroner may also be involved in natural deaths that were unattended by a physician. The Coroner will actually investigate approximately 12% of the deaths in their county and 60% of those may be natural deaths. 

The following is a list of deaths in which the Coroner's office is contacted:
- Accidental poisoning ( food, chemical, drug, therapeutic agents)
- All deaths of unidentified persons
- All deaths where patient is under anesthetic
- Death occurring within 24 hours of admission at a hospital or health care facility.
- Drowning, fire, exposure, acute alcoholism, drug addiction, strangulation, aspiration or malnutrition
- Following an accident or injury primary or contributory, either old or recent
- Incarceration: Inmate deaths or cases in which cause of death originated while deceased was incarcerated

- Known or suspected contagious disease constituting a public hazard, excluding AIDS
- Known or suspected homicide
- Occupational disease or occupational hazards
- Physician unable to state cause of death, after careful review of medical chart, or decedent does not have a physician
- Related to or following suspected self-inflected or criminal abortion
- Sudden death of a healthy child

-Suicides;

- Crashes;

-Deaths caused by diseases that may be public health threats;

---------

It does on past this, but you can see that in the case of coronavirus the coroner's office by law is supposed to be contacted.  This would likely cause a delay in the reporting of the death.