Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

3 hours ago, Josh said:

I'd rather use my hand...nothing Purdoo comes in this house

My brother in law insisted he was going to get my daughter some Purdue clothes when she was a baby. 

I promised him she would wear it. But couldn’t guarantee I would remember the diaper.  He declined to buy her any. 

I’m almost out of yard work and things to do around the house so I started doing the One Punch Man workout last Monday. I had to start on level 2 though. I’m not embarrassed to admit that. It keeps me occupied and out of the pantry.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

For sure. Fatalities increase has slowed.  Need to starting turning it around. 

I am concerned though that those numbers are because of the weekend 

I crunched some numbers on the counties in Indiana today.  In terms of confirmed cases per population, the worst infected counties in Indiana are:

1.  Decatur   (1 case per 295 people)

2.  Ripley (1 case per 406 people)

3.  Franklin (1 case per 415 people)

4.  Scott (1 case per 457 people, but that only amounts to 6 cases in the county)

5.  Hendricks (1 case per 480 people)

6.  Marion (1 case per 483 people)

7.  Jennings (1 case per 777 people)

8.  Johnson (1 case per 195 people)

9.  Morgan (1 case per 917 people)

10. Hamilton (1 case per 944 people)

The counties with the fewest cases per population:

1.  Perry, Pike, and Benton:  no cases in each of these counties.  Perry has a population of 19,141, Pike 12, 411, and Benton 8,667.

4.  Spencer (1 case per 20,526 people)

5.  Adams (1 case per 17,598 people)

6.  Daviess (1 case per 16,469 people)

7.  Wells (1 case per 13,974 people)

8.  Pulaski (1 caes per 12,660 people)

9.  Dekalb ( 1 case per 10,676 people)

10.  Wabash (1 case per 10,544 people)

The current state average is one confirmed case per 1,300 people.

While it's not essential travel, I am taking my son to pick up his kayak from a house about an hour and a half away as he was storing it at a cottage that is about to be sold.  I'll have my two liter bottle to pee in and won't leave the vehicle except to pick the kayak up.  I've only driven my car once since March 13th (to go to the local fairgrounds to walk at the track there).

We have a small lake just outside of our backdoor, so he'll be able to row around in it if he wants.

Daily Indiana report:

Highest single day # of cases reported (568).  However, the exponential rate of increase has seemed to be slowing down.  It took six days for the # of cases to double from March 31 to April 6;  previously it had been taking about 4 days.

Number of deaths in Indiana attributed to coronavirus is up to 173.  One bit of good news:  from March 26 through April 2nd there had been 8 straight days of double digit daily deaths with an average of 13.4 per day;  we now have had 4 days with the death total in the single digits with an average of 5.5 per day over that time.  Yesterday there were 4 deaths, the state's lowest total since March 23.

8 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Daily Indiana report:

Highest single day # of cases reported (568).  However, the exponential rate of increase has seemed to be slowing down.  It took six days for the # of cases to double from March 31 to April 6;  previously it had been taking about 4 days.

Number of deaths in Indiana attributed to coronavirus is up to 173.  One bit of good news:  from March 26 through April 2nd there had been 8 straight days of double digit daily deaths with an average of 13.4 per day;  we now have had 4 days with the death total in the single digits with an average of 5.5 per day over that time.  Yesterday there were 4 deaths, the state's lowest total since March 23.

Keep in mind confirmed cases is next to meaningless because most can't get tested.  As you illustrate here considering counts of deaths is more directionally accurate and telling than confirmed cases as this thing progresses.  Let's hope that 'bit of good news', which is actually really big giant good news, is not an anomaly.   

Thanks for sharing.

4 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Keep in mind confirmed cases is next to meaningless because most can't get tested.  As you illustrate here considering counts of deaths is more directionally accurate and telling than confirmed cases as this thing progresses.  Let's hope that 'bit of good news', which is actually really big giant good news, is not an anomaly.   

Thanks for sharing.

In terms of 'most can't get tested'....the last three days there were almost 9,000 tests given in Indiana and that represents almost a third of the total tests given in Indiana.  While there is definitely a shortage of tests, that's more of a state to state thing.  You are more likely to be able to get tested in Indiana than most states.  My sister works at a county hospital in Indiana (the only hospital in the county) and they were allotted 250 tests.  So far, the county has had to test just 57 (only 3 of which were positive).

33 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

In terms of 'most can't get tested'....the last three days there were almost 9,000 tests given in Indiana and that represents almost a third of the total tests given in Indiana.  While there is definitely a shortage of tests, that's more of a state to state thing.  You are more likely to be able to get tested in Indiana than most states.  My sister works at a county hospital in Indiana (the only hospital in the county) and they were allotted 250 tests.  So far, the county has had to test just 57 (only 3 of which were positive).

I hear ya.  The more that are tested the more accurate a count of confirmed cases and a completely better handle of the entire situation at all levels in all directions.  Hindsight will be 2020 when this is all done but one of the valuable lessons we are learning in real time is the importance of testing early and often.  

48 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

Now ordered today to wear mask and gloves on all calls for service

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just ordered mine. 

https://www.funidelia.com/deluxe-darth-vader-helmet-5985.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo9DwturW6AIVkp-fCh2omAB-EAQYBCABEgJbB_D_BwE

On 4/5/2020 at 2:57 PM, Old Friend said:

Help me with cherry picked facts.  Facts....that's your word.  Facts.  Which ones are cherry picked and what did I leave out?

The US wasn't prepared for Katrina.  We weren't necessarily prepared for 9/11.  The easiest and most elementary thing anybody can do is blame the guy in the chair.  I've posted several things above which basically say the same thing....we need unity (not compromise because compromise usually ends up in a sh*tty solution), and we do need to work as a unit rather than two separate parts.

To suggest in retrospect Trump should have acted earlier says his advisers are incompetent and he should have known more than they did.  Facts are facts.   And the ones you suggested late in your post are hardly exclusive to Trump.   The top medical guy in terms of diseases said the threat to the US was low 17 days after Trump acted.   Was Trump supposed to listen to his GP?  YOUR GP?  Some guy with a weird feeling in his belly?

I blame the guy in the chair when budgetary cuts he performed DIRECTLY and ADVERSELY affected the response the USA was capable of to Covid. Why are so many tests STILL not being performed?  Why do we have no idea if case counts are truly getting better?  Why did we have to shut down large parts of the economy for almost a month? Well, it certainly wasn't helped by Trump slashing funding for those agencies set up to test and prepare for pandemics: https://fortune.com/2020/02/26/coronavirus-covid-19-cdc-budget-cuts-us-trump/

The above article isn't even accounting for the pandemic task force that was disbanded whose sole mission was to identify the next pandemic.  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

Also, to your hoax comment earlier, here is the DIRECT quote:

------

“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that right?” Trump said Feb. 28. “Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing’? They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They don’t even count their votes in Iowa. They can’t even count. No, they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

“One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia Russia.’ That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was not a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

-------

Generally speaking, it's really hard to gain good context from most Trump speeches...but I'll try with the above quote. I believe what he's attempting to say is that the Democrats voicing alarm about the virus was their new "hoax" to bring him down.  If you have a different interpretation, I would be curious to hear (I really would, perhaps I'm missing another angle).  So, I agree, he didn't say the Corona Virus was a hoax.  BUT...he did infer that the severity of it was being "amped" up by Democrats. 

He also insinuated that it's no worse than the flu, and then, was contradicted by Fauci:

--------------

“So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”  --> Trump

Two days later, Anthony Fauci, head of infectious diseases at the National Institutes of Health and a member of Trump’s task force on the outbreak, said the coronavirus was far more deadly.

“This is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu,” Fauci said on Wednesday, when was asked by a House of Representatives committee for a fact that would help Americans gauge the danger.

---------

Moreover, as of LATE February (February 26th) , Trump went so far as to say that Covid cases in the USA would soon be zero. 

At a political rally in New Hampshire, Trump mentioned the coronavirus and says it “looks like, by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”  

NOTE: If you want documented support, ie, videos, tweets, etc, of each to the items listed above, I'd be more than happy to provide them.  

I don't know how one reads all of the above and doesn't see how Trump downplayed the severity of the virus.  The US government didn't act fast enough (governors as well), downplayed risks and now the unemployment rate in the US will probably hit over 10%.  

What also sucks is our government is taking advantage of the 2 trillion bailout in many pork ways, you've got 75 million for NPR (not sure how they affect Covid).

More interestingly is that real estate investors who make over 500k and have taken large losses on their real estate in the past 3 years (it's retroactive) and continuing going forward, will get tax benefits to the tune of 170 BILLION dollars.  I know this will come as a SHOCK, but both Trump and Kushner are big real estate developers who have lost a considerable amount of money in real estate.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/business/coronavirus-real-estate-investors-stimulus.html

Oh, and Trump just got rid of the watchdog who was monitoring the 500 billion of the 2 trillion bailout.  What could be the reason for removing a watchdog on overseeing what the Trump administration is doing with the $500 billion bailouts?  Seriously, I'd love to know.  

Believe it or not, I'm fiscally conservative.  I hate seeing that we had incredible GDP growth over the last decade and proceeded to have the largest budget deficits in history.  I hate the fact the Fed kept interest rates artificially low for wayyy too long.  I hate that we gave massive corporate tax cuts that in the end, just redistributed wealth to those that had money in the stock market.  I hate that we just spent 2 trillion, probably soon to be 4, because leadership just sat on their hands.  I'll be paying for these decisions.  I'm in my 30s and at some point, this nation will have a reckoning on budgets. Sadly, those that have put us in this mess won't have to pay for it.  I'll be paying tons of interest on loans taken out by my parent's generation on the economy.  

Sorry to all about the long-winded response.  Working from home leaves me with a bit of additional free time.  

21 minutes ago, Defenserocks28 said:

I blame the guy in the chair when budgetary cuts he performed DIRECTLY and ADVERSELY affected the response the USA was capable of to Covid. Why are so many tests STILL not being performed?  Why do we have no idea if case counts are truly getting better?  Why did we have to shut down large parts of the economy for almost a month? Well, it certainly wasn't helped by Trump slashing funding for those agencies set up to test and prepare for pandemics: https://fortune.com/2020/02/26/coronavirus-covid-19-cdc-budget-cuts-us-trump/

The above article isn't even accounting for the pandemic task force that was disbanded whose sole mission was to identify the next pandemic.  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

------

“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that right?” Trump said Feb. 28. “Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing’? They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They don’t even count their votes in Iowa. They can’t even count. No, they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

“One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia Russia.’ That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was not a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

-------

Generally speaking, it's really hard to gain good context from most Trump speeches...but I'll try with the above quote. I believe what he's attempting to say is that the Democrats voicing alarm about the virus was their new "hoax" to bring him down.  If you have a different interpretation, I would be curious to hear (I really would, perhaps I'm missing another angle).  So, I agree, he didn't say the Corona Virus was a hoax.  BUT...he did infer that the severity of it was being "amped" up by Democrats. 

He also insinuated that it's no worse than the flu, and then, was contradicted by Fauci:

--------------

“So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”  --> Trump

Two days later, Anthony Fauci, head of infectious diseases at the National Institutes of Health and a member of Trump’s task force on the outbreak, said the coronavirus was far more deadly.

“This is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu,” Fauci said on Wednesday, when was asked by a House of Representatives committee for a fact that would help Americans gauge the danger.

---------

Moreover, as of LATE February (February 26th) , Trump went so far as to say that Covid cases in the USA would soon be zero. 

At a political rally in New Hampshire, Trump mentioned the coronavirus and says it “looks like, by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”  

NOTE: If you want documented support, ie, videos, tweets, etc, of each to the items listed above, I'd be more than happy to provide them.  

I don't know how one reads all of the above and doesn't see how Trump downplayed the severity of the virus.  The US government didn't act fast enough (governors as well), downplayed risks and now the unemployment rate in the US will probably hit over 10%.  

What also sucks is our government is taking advantage of the 2 trillion bailout in many pork ways, you've got 75 million for NPR (not sure how they affect Covid).

More interestingly is that real estate investors who make over 500k and have taken large losses on their real estate in the past 3 years (it's retroactive) and continuing going forward, will get tax benefits to the tune of 170 BILLION dollars.  I know this will come as a SHOCK, but both Trump and Kushner are big real estate developers who have lost a considerable amount of money in real estate.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/business/coronavirus-real-estate-investors-stimulus.html

Oh, and Trump just got rid of the watchdog who was monitoring the 500 billion of the 2 trillion bailout.  What could be the reason for removing a watchdog on overseeing what the Trump administration is doing with the $500 billion bailouts?  Seriously, I'd love to know.  

Believe it or not, I'm fiscally conservative.  I hate seeing that we had incredible GDP growth over the last decade and proceeded to have the largest budget deficits in history.  I hate the fact the Fed kept interest rates artificially low for wayyy too long.  I hate that we gave massive corporate tax cuts that in the end, just redistributed wealth to those that had money in the stock market.  I hate that we just spent 2 trillion, probably soon to be 4, because leadership just sat on their hands.  I'll be paying for these decisions.  I'm in my 30s and at some point, this nation will have a reckoning on budgets. Sadly, those that have put us in this mess won't have to pay for it.  I'll be paying tons of interest on loans taken out by my parent's generation on the economy.  

Sorry to all about the long-winded response.  Working from home leaves me with a bit of additional free time.  

I try to tune Trump out, he says anything to stroke his overblown ego regardless of how true it is and calls anything that doesn't depict him in the most flattering of ways possible "fake news".  Just recently Fauci was asked a question during a press conference and Trump interrupted and wouldn't let him answer.

Don't get me started on the 500 billion slush fund.

To be purely unbiased can we at least agree that all those senators, senators of both parties, that got warned about this and did nothing other than update their portfolio completely failed in their duties. Frankly I think all of them should resign.  Two of them are up for election and still have to survive a primary and a general. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

To be purely unbiased can we at least agree that all those senators, senators of both parties, that got warned about this and did nothing other than update their portfolio completely failed in their duties. Frankly I think all of them should resign.  Two of them are up for election and still have to survive a primary and a general. 

I think they were being investigated, but considering how this administration seems to feel about oversight I'm not confident it'll be thorough or come to anything.

Burr liquidated a large portion of his portfolio, stocks he knew would take a hit,  after receiving closed door testimony, the average person would be facing insider trading charges right now.  All 4 should be removed.

1 hour ago, Defenserocks28 said:

------

-------

--------------

---------

I'll just say this.  Most "leaders" downplayed this virus early on.  Even Dr. Fauci.  As of mid Jan, China was still representing that it wasn't even transferable between humans.  And one can find countless examples where "leaders" made prior year decisions which affected our response.  There will be time to look at the past.  The focus now should be on the present and future.  How are we taking action now?  This is a new virus, unseen in our lifetimes.  It's not acting like a typical virus.    It's throwing curves and knuckle balls at us.  The data we have from China is bogus, so we had to start from square one.  They are reading and reacting to the data, and frankly doing a pretty good job.  It's easy to be a Monday morning QB.