Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Its Impact

33 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Seriously, stop with 'the left'.  Either you have an accurate answer to the criticism or not....saying 'the left' is nothing more than a weak diversion.  It's nothing more than special pleading.

The fact that you think that 'the left' want him to fail -- which would mean thousands and thousands of people die instead of live -- it's insulting.  How about you ASK what people on here feel instead of just make some bald face assumption of what 'the left' feels?

Saying "the left" or "libtards" or whatever other derogatory term only further divides the country.  Want to unite the country?  Start by cutting that crap out.

I'll admit I'm far from the most conservative but I'm not the most liberal either; there are problems on both sides.  I'm just sick of some of those leaning right acting like their side owns patriotism.  Hell, my father was a 21 year veteran and served 3 tours in Vietnam; he was also a registered Republican but in the last few decades of his life voted straight Democrat because he got so fed up with the GOP and I can assure you he would've had nothing good to say about Trump.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

I’ll give y’all one more positive to this undeniably difficult situation:

Over the past three weeks I have spent more time and had more laughs with my usually too busy family than I thought possible. And I have seen many families taking walks together doing the same.

I'll give one minute positive:  I've chewed my nails all of my life -- nasty habit -- and stopped completely.  Didn't even really think about it, just stopped.  I've pretty much been housebound since the 13th other than walks -- my in-laws live with us and my 69 year old mother in law is asthmatic, so we have to play it very safe -- and here they were after two weeks before I trimmed them.  

nails.jpg

I’ll give y’all one more positive to this undeniably difficult situation:

Over the past three weeks I have spent more time and had more laughs with my usually too busy family than I thought possible. And I have seen many families taking walks together doing the same.

im thankful I had 3 weeks of vacation to spend with family when this first started but moving forward I’m probably one of the few that will have less time to spend with family. My wife is a Nurse Practitioner that’s still seeing patients at the doctors office she works for and in my first week back from vacation I had to work both my off days(Friday, Saturday)- 18 hours of OT in those 2 days(Crimson 2 hrs of V time).

Crazy times. Stay safe everyone

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Saying "the left" or "libtards" or whatever other derogatory term only further divides the country.  Want to unite the country?  Start by cutting that crap out.

I'll admit I'm far from the most conservative but I'm not the most liberal either; there are problems on both sides.  I'm just sick of some of those leaning right acting like their side owns patriotism.  Hell, my father was a 21 year veteran and served 3 tours in Vietnam; he was also a registered Republican but in the last few decades of his life voted straight Democrat because he got so fed up with the GOP and I can assure you he would've had nothing good to say about Trump.

The right loves to act like they're intellectually superior, but some of the stupidest people I know vote Republican every year. 

When I was growing up, my dad was denied a promotion because his boss thought he was a Democrat. The job went to a less qualified individual from outside the county who was a registered Republican. It wasn't funny at the time, but it's hilarious in hindsight, because my dad grew up in a family that was very conservative. 

26 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The right loves to act like they're intellectually superior, but some of the stupidest people I know vote Republican every year. 

When I was growing up, my dad was denied a promotion because his boss thought he was a Democrat. The job went to a less qualified individual from outside the county who was a registered Republican. It wasn't funny at the time, but it's hilarious in hindsight, because my dad grew up in a family that was very conservative. 

I know people that love Trump, but whenever challenged on something or presented facts contrary to what they want to hear they just resort to attacking the person.  Yet they say the country needs to be united.  I'm in the same boat knowing stupid people that only vote GOP, regardless of the candidate or policies they just see part affiliation.

I wish I could say I'm surprised by the story about your dad but I'm not.  Some, can seem to be many, on the right do love to act like they're superior and act like only they own guns or only they respect the military (even though Trump insulted POWs and gold star families...) or only they have veterans.  

And this conversation has nothing to do with COVID so I'll try to stop it hear to keep from further hijacking.

This is so ******* stupid. There are dumb ****s on both sides that think their side is right on every issue and the other side is wrong. Pointing out that you know people on the other side that just attack the other side when confronted with an issue they can’t argue with facts if ******* stupid. It happens on both sides. There are dumb ****s that are stuck on their side and can’t think for themselves.

I love my country, fought for her and would do it again but damn do we have a lot of dumb ****s on both sides. Unfortunately, the best and the brightest go into the private sector and stay as far away from the politics as possible. If we had half the intelligence in office as we do in the private sector this country would be in far greater hands. As it stands, the best of the best want nothing to do with this ****. I can’t say that I blame them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Tom Dempsey died of COVID yesterday. He was elderly and sick before this illness.

He was the guy who kicked the 63 yard field goal for the Saints in 1970; that record held for a long long time. 

If you’ve never seen the video of the kick, it’s a great watch. Note that the goalposts were on the goalline back then, which means his winning kick was hit from his own 37!

I know people that love Trump, but whenever challenged on something or presented facts contrary to what they want to hear they just resort to attacking the person.  Yet they say the country needs to be united.  I'm in the same boat knowing stupid people that only vote GOP, regardless of the candidate or policies they just see part affiliation.
I wish I could say I'm surprised by the story about your dad but I'm not.  Some, can seem to be many, on the right do love to act like they're superior and act like only they own guns or only they respect the military (even though Trump insulted POWs and gold star families...) or only they have veterans.  
And this conversation has nothing to do with COVID so I'll try to stop it hear to keep from further hijacking.
I know stupid people that only vote Dem also. You guys are doing the exact same thing you are calling Old friend out for, which is lumping a group of people .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is so ******* stupid. There are dumb ****s on both sides that think their side is right on every issue and the other side is wrong. Pointing out that you know people on the other side that just attack the other side when confronted with an issue they can’t argue with facts if ******* stupid. It happens on both sides. There are dumb ****s that are stuck on their side and can’t think for themselves.

I love my country, fought for her and would do it again but damn do we have a lot of dumb ****s on both sides. Unfortunately, the best and the brightest go into the private sector and stay as far away from the politics as possible. If we had half the intelligence in office as we do in the private sector this country would be in far greater hands. As it stands, the best of the best want nothing to do with this ****. I can’t say that I blame them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
Well said

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I know stupid people that only vote Dem also. You guys are doing the exact same thing you are calling Old friend out for, which is lumping a group of people .

There's a reason in most of my posts on this topic I've made the point to use the word "some".  I've also known some that were reasonable and you could gave an actual discussion with.

42 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

JS, I don't know that I have ever had any kind of disagreement with you, so please take this only at face value and on this subject only.  Political discussion is poison on its own merit, but sometimes it does need to be talked through.  It's laughable to me you believe the problem belongs to the GOP.  Seriously laughable.  It's like you have no objectivity on this matter at all.  Unless I'm missing something, which is possible....  Do you seriously think the exact same thing you said about the GOP can't be said in absolute equality about democrats?

I have seen republicans take the high road time and time and time and time and time again.  Labeled racists, homophobes, and other vile things simply because of political party affiliation.  Hell, I've experienced it!    The left claims tolerance and the moral high ground every chance they get, but disagree with one and you become an unwashed racist who's uneducated and probably hides behind guns while killing babies and everything not white!   That's been a problem since the Clinton administration.  Obama called the GOP bitter clingers.  Hilary called Trump voters a basket of deplorables.   Fake news is rampant.  Blame thrown out just for the sake of finding fault with Trump.  Check this out, BTW https://kerrypicket.com/dr-fauci-we-acted-against-coronavirus-very-very-early/?utm_source=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR1RFE6W0T3g54ZvmdViX-ZrZDpJ5QgXp5A12sHu3I8Hh49tMnBvP4RWFVQ

You have GOT to be kidding me with this.  If you want, I'll copy you on over 100 examples by midnight and flood your inbox tomorrow.   Putting this partisan issue on the doorstep of the GOP is intellectually dishonest.   

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

During my furlough coming up I’ll be finishing the novel i started awhile back but had to shelve because of no time. 

I started college as a journalism major before switching majors.  During this time of being in home isolation, one of my projects was to reorganize my home office.  I came across some of the short stories I had written when I was between 25 and 30.  I had about 300 pages of stories written when I stopped about 25 years ago.  Found one that I had forgotten about....started reading it and found that while I probably didn't think much about it at the time, it might have been the best I'd written.....and the last page was missing.  Ugh.  Have no idea how the story turned as I don't recall it.

11 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

The left claims tolerance and the moral high ground every chance they get, but disagree with one and you become an unwashed racist who's uneducated and probably hides behind guns while killing babies and everything not white! 

You talk of the country needing unity yet continue to put this imaginary "the left" in one convenient little category.  You want to tell people they live in a black and white world while showing that you can't see gray.

50 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I started college as a journalism major before switching majors.  During this time of being in home isolation, one of my projects was to reorganize my home office.  I came across some of the short stories I had written when I was between 25 and 30.  I had about 300 pages of stories written when I stopped about 25 years ago.  Found one that I had forgotten about....started reading it and found that while I probably didn't think much about it at the time, it might have been the best I'd written.....and the last page was missing.  Ugh.  Have no idea how the story turned as I don't recall it.

I have a few ideas that I have forgotten the themes of lol so I feel ya. 

im on chapter 8 of a 33 chapter novel.  I’ve got detailed outlines of the beats that need to take place in each chapter.  Furlough is 16 days. Would love to crank out a chapter a day to get to Act 3. Then maybe try and do a chapter a week till it’s finished. Then I have to edit.