Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MoyeNeeded

A Transfer Coming?

Wasn’t Al going to be playing less minutes because Leal was going to take some of his minutes? Now, Al is most likely to be top two guard with a 17 (or however old he will be, young is the point) old Lander..? Are we crowning Lander the next Yogi even when Yogi wasn’t all that great as an underclassman?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Al can still be a Top 2-3 of our guards while playing less minutes. We just have 5 guards that are likely to get playing time.
And Yogi was a pretty freshman. He just happened to play on that super good 12-13 team. But his assist total that season was 147. Which is 3rd over the past 10 seasons. His 13-14 assists numbers were 125 which is 4th. And since 2000 even that 125 mark was only passed by Coverdale in 02-03(152 assists as a SR), Coverdale in 01-02(178 assists as a JR) and Coverdale in 00-01(163 assists as a SO).
Earl Calloway also tied Yogis SO season assists- 125(06-07).

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

IMG_3248.jpg
IMG_3249.jpg

Wonder what "making it work" means? ... Didn't we hear this after his freshman season? ... I like the kid. He's from Indiana and wants to be at IU. I would love to see him succeed. He works hard. According to an interview last year, he tested out as IU's strongest player, so he's obviously been putting in the work. ... But when you have a guy who gets into a game, shoots a wide-open 3-pointer and doesn't even hit the rim -- that's not good. And that happened more than once last season ... He needs to figure out how to perform in games, because the way things went for him last season, giving him playing time in critical games is like rolling the dice. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Wonder what "making it work" means? ... Didn't we hear this after his freshman season? ... I like the kid. He's from Indiana and wants to be at IU. I would love to see him succeed. He works hard. According to an interview last year, he tested out as IU's strongest player, so he's obviously been putting in the work. ... But when you have a guy who gets into a game, shoots a wide-open 3-pointer and doesn't even hit the rim -- that's not good. And that happened more than once last season ... He needs to figure out how to perform in games, because the way things went for him last season, giving him playing time in critical games is like rolling the dice. 

Outside of Leal, who spent his whole life in Bloomington, Anderson came off to me as likely the most excited to commit to Indiana in a long while.  Perhaps he was too excited to be in the uniform and it created intense issues with his nerves.  A great shooter has some mental barrier in the way to go from a great shooter to a consistent brick layer. 

I'm now rooting for him even harder.  I hope he uses this as a chip on his shoulder to prove he belongs and he becomes the great Hoosier he obviously wants to become.  I hope in a couple years we're all saying, "Indiana is lucky he never cried about playing time and left early because he became a dominant senior while maintaining a team-first mentality and a work ethic and attitude that is contagious."

22 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

How would he know that before becoming available? I'm not naive and understand feelers can "unofficially" be put out there, but it's not like he can openly gauge interest prior to entering the portal, right? 

I also would argue that he'd still garner attention. Not a ton of high-level, power 5 teams probably, but a guy with decent size that has a reputation as being a shooter would land someplace. Lots of people willing to offer that second chance. 

Sorry, I just don't see it with him. He's had a few good games against a 9-22 Troy like team...He is 15 for 65 shooting 3's at IU. That's a sad reputation if he's known for a shooter. I hope I am wrong. I'd love to see him turn into a Matt Roth like 3 point shooter. 

On 4/15/2020 at 7:01 AM, Brass Cannon said:

Well that’s not really fair.  Kid was playing pretty good in November. He could easily have started for some of those teams.  

I am sorry for anyone that I have offended. He could start for the 9-22 Troy Trojans. 

There are plenty of players who blossom in their junior and senior years--plenty of players who didn't look great in games until they did. Anderson is 6'7" and was an excellent shooter in high school. Several players and the coach have predicted based on his play in practice and his work ethic that he will be a real contributor at IU. Now they could be completely wrong. But I have to think they probably know more about his potential than his detractors on this board.

3 hours ago, Honkyman said:

There are plenty of players who blossom in their junior and senior years--plenty of players who didn't look great in games until they did. Anderson is 6'7" and was an excellent shooter in high school. Several players and the coach have predicted based on his play in practice and his work ethic that he will be a real contributor at IU. Now they could be completely wrong. But I have to think they probably know more about his potential than his detractors on this board.

Absolutely reasonable. I want him to succeed because he seems like a solid guy and is a Hoosier. If he's not going to make the next step then there is nothing wrong with moving on to greener pastures. Sounds like that isn't an option based on that article, so keep working Damezi. 

It is curious that IU was/is still recruiting transfers for this year though. I guess Lander's reclass isn't a sure thing? Otherwise there is no room unless someone leaves. 

If our end-of-the-bench scholarship is going to a guy that has convinced other people within the program that he could be a breakout star, that has to be a good thing right? (Provided we can fix the issue —shooting in this case — that he was supposed to be able to help with with guys ahead of him in the rotation)

If our end-of-the-bench scholarship is going to a guy that has convinced other people within the program that he could be a breakout star, that has to be a good thing right? (Provided we can fix the issue —shooting in this case — that he was supposed to be able to help with with guys ahead of him in the rotation)
Who said he was going to be a break out star? That is different than figuring it and helping the team

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Who said he was going to be a break out star? That is different than figuring it and helping the team

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Honkyman quoted players from the team saying that a couple pages back. Pretty sure you don’t understand the point of my post. 

I said Juwan Morgan and D'Ron Davis predicted before the 2019-2020 season that Damezi Anderson would be the "breakout player" of the year. I didn't write that they said he would be a "star." The implication intended was that Anderson's play would be so improved as to make him a regular contributing member of the rotation rather than someone who only played when the game was decided, if he played at all. I added that even Archie suggested Anderson would be playing more this past season. All three praised Anderson's work ethic.

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

Maybe just maybe Damezi simply wants to stay at IU. Stay committed to his commitment and the program and prove with his work ethic that he’s worth the scholarship. Some kids just take longer for it to click. Sounds like some of you have given up on him and are hoping for a transfer. I’d love to see him stick around

I hope this is the case and he stays. He has great size and I believe his unorthodox shot comes around. Also, lots of talented players from his area including team where we want to continue recruiting.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:42 PM, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think the reason Damezi isn't transferring is because nobody really wants him. I'm being honest, I'm not sure he would've even started for the Evansville Aces this last year. I was off on him too. I thought he would be a decent role player. 

I can't say you're wrong. He's looked completely lost against any sort of good competition for the most part in his time at IU. Some improvement from Freshman to Sophmore year at least provides some optimism but I wonder if he is the type of player that would do better in a MAC type conference. He's got to improve his handles and confidence offensively if he's going to get off the bench next year. 

I hope this is the case and he stays. He has great size and I believe his unorthodox shot comes around. Also, lots of talented players from his area including team where we want to continue recruiting.

He’s going to sit the bench no matter what. He plays the same spot as Smith and Hunter and Hunter looked leaps and bounds better.

He’s going to sit the bench no matter what. He plays the same spot as Smith and Hunter and Hunter looked leaps and bounds better.

I would agree. Justin Smith will start and Jerome Hunter improved so much during last year because of knocking down threes at the end of the year. During Damezi Anderson's Senior year, could get interesting. Assuming Jerome Hunter starts, does Trey Galloway or Jordan Geronimo pass Damezi Anderson up for back up at the 3 spot?

Sent from my LGLS992 using BtownBanners mobile app

I would agree. Justin Smith will start and Jerome Hunter improved so much during last year because of knocking down threes at the end of the year. During Damezi Anderson's Senior year, could get interesting. Assuming Jerome Hunter starts, does Trey Galloway or Jordan Geronimo pass Damezi Anderson up for back up at the 3 spot?

Sent from my LGLS992 using BtownBanners mobile app

Good question. Personally I’d rather see Smith and Thompson splitting time at the 4 with Smith playing sports minutes at the 3.