Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MoyeNeeded

A Transfer Coming?

In your opinion

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well Lander will immediately be our best guard. Plus he will still have Phinisee to compete with. Then Leal who could easily be better than him by the time the season starts. And it seems Archie is going after a guard in the transfer portal who will likely be better than Al. There’s a chance that Al ends up being our 4th or 5th best guard, where he should be.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well Lander will immediately be our best guard. Plus he will still have Phinisee to compete with. Then Leal who could easily be better than him by the time the season starts. And it seems Archie is going after a guard in the transfer portal who will likely be better than Al. There’s a chance that Al ends up being our 4th or 5th best guard, where he should be.

Minutes played by guards last year

Durham  846

Green 642

Phinisee 626

Franklin  441

Anderson 223

If Damezi transfers, that frees up 865 minutes.  Over a 32 game span, that's 27 minutes per game.  Durham's minutes may drop a little but not that much.  

Minutes played by guards last year
Durham  846
Green 642
Phinisee 626
Franklin  441
Anderson 223
If Damezi transfers, that frees up 865 minutes.  Over a 32 game span, that's 27 minutes per game.  Durham's minutes may drop a little but not that much.  

Well we are replacing Green and Anderson with Lander(who is better than both and all of our guards), Leal and possibly a transfer. Durham played that much, because we sadly didn’t have a better option.

I hope untrue re: Franklin.  He's got a nice future at Indiana if he stays.  Would be a shame to lose anybody from the freshman or soph classes who didn't play as much so DeVonte could.  That would be the ultimate in cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Not to mention that would throw off class balance. That was a two man class plus Brunk and Brunk will be gone after next season and the odds of TJD doing a senior speech are slim. That class could be without representation

10 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

There is no doubt that Lander will be the best guard on next year's team (assuming he is able to reclassify) and his ability will improve IU's chances at a very good season (assuming TJD stays).  But Lander is a point guard and the player most likely impacted by Lander's playing time is Rob Phinisee. It remains to be seen how ready Leal will be to log significant time. In any event, a player like Al Durham who has demonstrated he can hit clutch 3-point shots and free throws will undoubtedly play an important role on the team. A comment like "it wouldn't bother me" if Durham would transfer simply demonstrates ignorance on the part of the writer.

That's an opinion by another user, not ignorance. Durham has hit his ceiling and it's not terribly high. Does that make those of us who feel that way ignorant as well? People are entitled to pass along opinions on this site. Be nice - it goes a long way.

Calling a poster who is wishing that a top contributing IU player transfer "ignorant" is actually tactful and as "nice" as the comment deserves.

Because losing someone of Durhams caliber isn’t taking a big hit when he can be easily replaced. He’s a backup that should be playing 15 minutes a game, that’s had to play almost 30 a game as a starter. Losing someone who isn’t a scorer, playmaker or elite defender won’t hurt. He’s a poor mans Robert Johnson.

Al has increased his stats every year. Now maybe that is because of more playing time but his shooting percentages have increased every year as well (3 points % - 29/35/38).  

Another offseason will be beneficial for him. I believe Leal as a freshman will not even be close to Al as a senior, everyone always under estimates big ten basically and the physicality...so yes I don’t want him to transfer. 

Al has increased his stats every year. Now maybe that is because of more playing time but his shooting percentages have increased every year as well (3 points % - 29/35/38).  

Another offseason will be beneficial for him. I believe Leal as a freshman will not even be close to Al as a senior, everyone always under estimates big ten basically and the physicality...so yes I don’t want him to transfer. 

And people are overreacting Durham. Why did we struggle? Our guards. Why? Because Durham, Phinisee And Green were all backups playing a major contributors. Durham only works out if there are two stud perimeter players around him. Just like Robert Johnson and Will Sheehey. But he’s not as good as they were. We are now bringing in two guards who are better. That’s part of us getting better, is bringing in more talent. Meaning we were going to have recruits over guys who have played big minutes but should have their minutes cut in half. Like Al and Rob. They just aren’t that good. Being in the Big Ten isn’t an excuse. TJD was easily our best player and it wasn’t close, he was a freshman. Good freshman aren’t bothered by playing in the Big Ten.

I like Al and think he has steadily increased each year. He sure can make mistakes at times that drive you nuts but just as I am saying he should come out he hits a big shot or knocks down crucial FF. Currently he is the one guy that I want shooting FF at the end of the game.

I would like to see him become more of a 3pt shooter whereas now he seems to want to drive first. That is probably more on the coaches but I have no idea.

I think Al is a good guy to have as a senior. The guy who I think we need to have make a big leap is Rob. Rob had a very good start to his IU career but has been very average since then due to a variety of injuries. Stay healthy Rob and hopefully he will have a big leap next year.

Lastly, can we change the title of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I like Al and think he has steadily increased each year. He sure can make mistakes at times that drive you nuts but just as I am saying he should come out he hits a big shot or knocks down crucial FF. Currently he is the one guy that I want shooting FF at the end of the game.

I would like to see him become more of a 3pt shooter whereas now he seems to want to drive first. That is probably more on the coaches but I have no idea.

I think Al is a good guy to have as a senior. The guy who I think we need to have make a big leap is Rob. Rob had a very good start to his IU career but has been very average since then due to a variety of injuries. Stay healthy Rob and hopefully he will have a big leap next year.

Lastly, can we change the title of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don’t he would transfer unless he wanted to be closer to home. But he’s going to have a lot more competition. If he doesn’t transfer then we have a senior who hopefully figures out his role. if he for whatever reason did transfer(which he isn’t), he’s a guy that can be easily replaced.

I don’t he would transfer unless he wanted to be closer to home. But he’s going to have a lot more competition. If he doesn’t transfer then we have a senior who hopefully figures out his role. if he for whatever reason did transfer(which he isn’t), he’s a guy that can be easily replaced.

I don’t think he is as easily replaceable as you think. He played the most minutes by far of any guard last year. 30% more than the next guy.

He definitely will have competition this year. Lander and a healthy Rob could push for a lot of minutes. If Franklin spends a lot of time in the gym this summer I like his chances of getting more minutes. The other 3 freshman are all going to get some time at the guard position but i am not expecting big things from them their freshman year.

Calling a poster who is wishing that a top contributing IU player transfer "ignorant" is actually tactful and as "nice" as the comment deserves.

I’ve teetered back and forth on whether Joe believes what he posts or he’s just “hot taking” his way through the board. Take into consideration who is posting what..

If Al stays, and I don’t see him going anywhere, he’ll play plenty of minutes. If Lander is in candy stripes in the fall he’ll get minutes. I don’t see a frosh pg coming in and playing 35+ mpg and taking the Big Ten by storm. We’ll need more out of our returning guards.

Hot take, Al, Phin, Franklin, and Lander will all log way more minutes that Leal. I could see Leal coming in and getting 10-15 mpg his freshman year but not much more. Hopefully, those 10-15 mpg will include efficiency from deep.

I don’t think he is as easily replaceable as you think. He played the most minutes by far of any guard last year. 30% more than the next guy.

He definitely will have competition this year. Lander and a healthy Rob could push for a lot of minutes. If Franklin spends a lot of time in the gym this summer I like his chances of getting more minutes. The other 3 freshman are all going to get some time at the guard position but i am not expecting big things from them their freshman year.

Al had to play those minutes because of the limited amount of guard talent that has been recruited. Think about where they were ranked as recruits. Green was #197(3*), Al was #230(3*), Rob #135(4*), Franklin #151(3*). What are we bringing in? Lander who is #11(5*) in his class. Leal at #99, Geronimo #129 and Galloway #133. I won’t be surprised at all if our two best guards are freshmen. Al has peaked as to the type of player he is. And there are plenty like him. It’s not hard to find a SG who isn’t a good playmaker, isn’t a good rebounder, is a decent shooter, isn’t a scorer and isn’t a leader. He’s just an average player. Plenty of those around. He’s not a guy that puts us at the next level and him leading wouldn’t hurt us. And the same can be said for Phinisee.