Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Early BIG Projections (2020-21)

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Their returning players are a year older and more experienced. The same justification I keep hearing from IU fans about why we should be so much better. 

IU fans are expecting to jump a few teams who lost much more than IU (UM, PU, OSU, Maryland, PSU) which is reasonable especially when IU's young players last year were what was so promising. Nobody expects to win the BIG. Totally different than expectations for Iowa.

I am assuming you have watched Iowa basketball under Fran?  It is the same every year. Not enough to jump UW (who returns everyone from a BIG champ) or Illinois. I believe they will be in the 3-5 range in the BIG, not a final four contender like most national media believes. 

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2020/11/9/21552808/2020-21-indiana-hoosiers-basketball-season-preview-predictions-big-ten-stats-lander-jackson-davis

Another BIG projection for IU: 10th. 

Tired of seeing articles like this, just want IU to actually prove themselves on the court and live up to OUR expectations so we can quit reading this crap. 

Although I would argue that this author doesn't have a great grasp on this IU team. Here is a quote about Justin Smith, "He did a variety of things on the floor and even if you can find a player who can do more somewhere, he probably can’t match the diversity of Smith’s skill set."

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2020/11/9/21552808/2020-21-indiana-hoosiers-basketball-season-preview-predictions-big-ten-stats-lander-jackson-davis

Another BIG projection for IU: 10th. 

Tired of seeing articles like this, just want IU to actually prove themselves on the court and live up to OUR expectations so we can quit reading this crap. 

Although I would argue that this author doesn't have a great grasp on this IU team. Here is a quote about Justin Smith, "He did a variety of things on the floor and even if you can find a player who can do more somewhere, he probably can’t match the diversity of Smith’s skill set."

Yeah...this article is a piece of junk.

"The departures themselves come from Damezi Anderson, Adrian Chapman, De’Ron Davis, Devonte Green, and Justin Smith. This group includes arguably the team’s most productive player, another quasi-starter, two depth pieces..."

Justin Smith was arguably our most productive player?!!? Justin Smith was arguably more productive than Trayce Jackson freakin' Davis?!?

The name Race Thompson is not mentioned in this looooong article as having any impact in any form, shape, or type save for one reference to him as a backup reserve.

54 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

"The departures themselves come from Damezi Anderson, Adrian Chapman, De’Ron Davis, Devonte Green, and Justin Smith. This group includes arguably the team’s most productive player, another quasi-starter, two depth pieces..."

Justin Smith was arguably our most productive player?!!? Justin Smith was arguably more productive than Trayce Jackson freakin' Davis?!?

The name Race Thompson is not mentioned in this looooong article as any form, shape, or type of having impact, save for one reference as a backup reserve.

Yeah I have always been Justin Smith's biggest critic so there is obviously no argument for me. I was pretty happy he left and I am not ashamed to say it. I don't care that he averaged the most minutes or double figure points. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The name Race Thompson is not mentioned in this looooong article as having any impact in any form, shape, or type save for one reference to him as a backup reserve.

Maybe the reference to most productive was Green?

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/11/17/indiana-picked-to-finish-8th-in-big-ten-in-official-unofficial-media-poll/

Here is the BIG media's official (unofficial) picks for the BIG. IU polled to finish 8th, they were picked as high as 5th and as low as 9th. 

Trayce was picked to finish on all-BIG team.

13 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Maybe. Every year I hear we are going to exceed the experts predictions. Hasn’t happened yet. 

I couldn’t care less about the experts. Archie wasn’t my first pick but I had the same expectations no matter who was hired. Year 1 start rebuild. Year 2 keep building and improve record. Year 3 make NCAA’s. So far Archie has done that, or was on pace before COVID. If no COVID, then we are looking at a weaker Big Ten this year and the experts would have IU higher. 
Year 4 I want to make the NCAA’s and start a trend of that being the minimum expectation on a yearly basis. Once we are in the dance, then we have a punchers chance vs anyone in the country. We have two 5* players, a upperclassmen PG, and finally a balanced roster that will allow for more shooters on the court. 8th place and a NCAA birth seems to be the floor to me. 

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Howard has the best recruiting class two years running. And he finished ahead of Archie with somebody else’s players. Which everybody tells me is some sort of handicap yet doesn’t seem to hold most coaches back 

You want to compare a leftover John Beilien roster to a Tom Crean one? Context my man. Always look at the context. 

On 11/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, Brass Cannon said:

What about Illinois then?

What about them? They were atrocious for 2 years and a 5* kid has decided to stay longer than anyone anticipated. Kudos to them for having preseason hype. Illinois still hasn’t made a NCAA tournament with Brad Underwood, though they would have last year. Just as Indians hasn’t made it, but would have last year. 

If TJD decides to stay for a 3rd year, IU will be absolutely loaded his junoir season and I’d expect a top 10 team preseason. That’s what Illinois just had happen with their 5* guard staying for a 3rd year. 

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Guess context only matters when it directly benefits your side 

I’m assuming this was aimed at me. The context was I hadn’t been on the site to read your comments. See context matters. 

edit: if my assumption was wrong and it wasn’t aimed at me, then it also proves that context matters. :)

I’m assuming this was aimed at me. The context was I hadn’t been on the site to read your comments. See context matters. 

edit: if my assumption was wrong and it wasn’t aimed at me, then it also proves that context matters. :)

Oh it was aimed at you. He has been blowing up this board and TOS with his constant drivel the past few days.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app