Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Early BIG Projections (2020-21)

I would not be at all surprised to see us go with a pretty small lineup:

Al, Rob, Kristian or Armaan, Justin, & TJD.

That’s a lineup with really good defensive quickness, transition offense, and about as good as we’ll do with outside shooting.

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

My guess is we see Phinisee and Lander both starting. With one of them on the court at all times. 

Archie likes to have two ball handlers on the court at the same time.  When Healthy Phinisee has looked very good. If he’s not healthy could see him on the bench for Al or Armaan 

I would say very good in flashes. I thought he was horribly inconsistent last year. We had to rely on him heavily because of not having another PG. There is more competition this year and guys pushing for minutes. Margins are smaller. I think any number of the guards mentioned are at risk of being planted on the bench more if they don't take a step forward. 

3 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

I would say very good in flashes. I thought he was horribly inconsistent last year. We had to rely on him heavily because of not having another PG. There is more competition this year and guys pushing for minutes. Margins are smaller. I think any number of the guards mentioned are at risk of being planted on the bench more if they don't take a step forward. 

Well he was banged up most of not all season. 

26 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He still played. And he wasn’t good.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Good thing you aren’t the barometer of who was actually good. 

Rob was a run of the mill guard. Played good defense and distributed the ball fairly well.  He shot an ok percentage.  

We needed him to be a difference maker and he wasn’t. Not to mention. He was limited in minutes. 

He averaged 7.3 points, 3.4 assists, 1.9 turnovers. Shot 37% from the floor and a turnover percentage of 20.1%. He wasn’t good.

Agreed. He wasn’t good. People compare him to Green naturally, and liked that he was the more conservative option. But he rarely did anything of value besides try to run Archies clunky offense devoid of shooters.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He averaged 7.3 points, 3.4 assists, 1.9 turnovers. Shot 37% from the floor and a turnover percentage of 20.1%. He wasn’t good.

He had a points per shot over 1 and a 1.78 Assist to turnover ratio. 
While playing good D. While being saddled with injury. Was he the difference maker we needed No.

but he wasn’t as bad as you try to make him or anybody else you don’t like out to be. 

But don’t let facts bother to inform your opinion. 

Phinisee looked good in stretches, but didn't sustain it.  I thought he looked better as a freshman, but if he was hurt much of last year as was talked about that could be part of it; I thought he looked better toward the end of the year.

Good or bad all I know a premium article was done that interviewed other B1G coaches on their thoughts of IU and IU moving forward and Rob’s name was brought up several times by the different coaches as a positive. Many say the injury held him back and they expect him to make a leap being fully healthy. His defense was brought up. Maybe he was bad enough for posters on a message board but seems like people in the college basketball world look at him as less bad then others. All depends on if you thought his injury held him back this year. If you did then you probably expect a jump next year, if you thought his injury shouldn’t be an excuse because he played the games and was bad then you are probably going to think he will be bad next year and lose minutes. Personally I see no way Rob plays less then 25 min a game

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Good or bad all I know a premium article was done that interviewed other B1G coaches on their thoughts of IU and IU moving forward and Rob’s name was brought up  several times by the different coaches as a positive. Many say the injury held him back and they expect him to make a leap being fully healthy. His defense was brought up. Maybe he was bad enough for posters on a message board but seems like people in the college basketball world look at him as less bad then others. All depends on if you thought his injury held him back this year. If you did then you probably expect a jump next year, if you thought his injury shouldn’t be an excuse because he played the games and was bad then you are probably going to think he will be bad next year and lose minutes. Personally I see no way Rob plays less then 25 min a game

What would they know. I bet they don’t even post on message boards 

In my opinion?

Rob Phinisee is a championship quality starting guard.

He’s been constantly injured, but each of his injuries seem to be the type that would fully heal with no impact on future performance potential.

I guess by Joes metrics Oladipo is no good because he played poorly this last season.  The fact he was coming back from injury doesn’t matter. And how he played before injury isn’t a factor either. 

We’ve seen more than some random flashes from Oladipo. We know what he can do. All we’ve seen from Rob are just flashes. Haven’t heard anything about him having surgeries yet for any injuries. He was clearly more than healthy enough to play. Players never play if they have anything serious injuries. He’s a backup and his replacement as a starter is coming next season.

No one is saying Phinisee can’t be good. (At least I’m not). It was said that he wasn’t good. I fully expect to see a better player, and hopefully soon. He has all the intangibles, just a matter of if the tangibles are up to par enough to step up his game.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We’ve seen more than some random flashes from Oladipo. We know what he can do. All we’ve seen from Rob are just flashes. Haven’t heard anything about him having surgeries yet for any injuries. He was clearly more than healthy enough to play. Players never play if they have anything serious injuries. He’s a backup and his replacement as a starter is coming next season.

Players don’t play with serious injuries. Have you ever watched sports before?  

Phinisee was consistently good prior to and post his concussion his freshmen year. So not just flashes. 

And no we haven’t heard about any surgeries. Almost like there’s a reason to delay non essential surgeries or something. 

Don’t ever let facts get in the way of your opinions. It’s your niche.