Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Early BIG Projections (2020-21)

These projections include some expected NBA departures. I expect it to be another brutal year in the BIG, but I don't think there will be 12 teams vying for a tournament bid like most of the 2019 season. 

1. Wisconsin (Return everyone from the BIG championship team)

2. MSU (Lose Cassius and may struggle with PG play, but have Joey Hauser eligible for next season)

3. Rutgers (Mostly return everyone of note unless Geo Baker decides to leave.)

4. Purdue (This assumes their offense improves and their elite defense stays the same)

5. Indiana (TJD expected to come back, if Lander reclassifies I think the ceiling gets much higher)

6. Michigan (Have a lot of talent coming in, but the loss of Zavier and Teske hurts. Plus they finished 8th this year with those two)

7. Iowa (This assumes Garza leaves and they lack front court ability. If he comes back they are in the top four range)

8. Ohio State (expected to Lose Kaleb Wesson and Carton, gaffney, and muhammad are transferring, will be interesting season for Holtmann. He does have two talented transfers coming in who will help. 

9. Illinois (lose griffin to transfer and most likely Ayo to draft. That may be too much to overcome despite the talent coming in.

10. Maryland (Lose Smith and Cowan. No notable recruits coming in)

11. Penn State (They will have a tough backcourt, but the loss of Lamar Stevens and Mike Watkins will be too much)

12. Northwestern (showed a lot of fight this year but were too young to close out games. Still a year away IMO from competing at a high level)

13. Minnesota (Oturu declared for draft. Doesn't look good for a coach on the hot seat)

14. Nebraska (No idea what this roster will look like next year but it doesn't look good right now)

This is all very early and very fluid. Still worth some discussion since there is literally nothing else to discuss. 

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/early-edition-preseason-45-for-20-21/

USPS posted this in the IU projection thread and I thought I would include it here. 

6. Iowa (lists Garza as returning)

9. Ohio State

12. Wisconsin

14. Michigan State

22. Michigan

23. IU

28. Rutgers

40. Illinois

43. Purdue

44. Maryland

10 teams in the top 45. He is a lot higher on Iowa than I am even with Garza returning. Not enough defense for number 6 in the country IMO. I think Michigan will struggle without a true PG and two freshman underneath. I don't think they will be top 25, but still a tournament team. He is much lower on Purdue than I am, and that is fine by me. Has IU right where I expect them. 

I’ll never have Iowa winning a B1G title. They always seem to falter at some point down the stretch. Remember 2016? They were as high as like #3. Was Frans best team. Got to 3rd and finished the year 7-8 and 25th in the nation and lost in the 2nd round 68-87 to Nova.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I’ll never have Iowa winning a B1G title. They always seem to falter at some point down the stretch. Remember 2016? They were as high as like #3. Was Frans best team. Got to 3rd and finished the year 7-8 and 25th in the nation and lost in the 2nd round 68-87 to Nova.

Agreed. I think they will be talented, but still flawed defensively. Plus that high of a ranking assumes Bohannon was his junior year self which is no guarantee. 

Agreed. I think they will be talented, but still flawed defensively. Plus that high of a ranking assumes Bohannon was his junior year self which is no guarantee. 

They likely still won’t have a defense and doesn’t help when your center is probably your worst defender. It can work if you have others that can defend the perimeter, but they don’t. I think they start off hot, and cool off by February and become an afterthought come tourney time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

that is what everyone is speculating, I would assume Garza returns if that is the case too. That is a lot of Offensive firepower. 

When would Carton be eligible, second semester? Unless he gets granted a waiver or the whole system changes to allow one-time transfers. 

1 minute ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

When would Carton be eligible, second semester? Unless he gets granted a waiver or the whole system changes to allow one-time transfers. 

If he is a typical transfer he wouldn't be eligible at all next year since he played into the second semester this year. BUT since he left for health issues there is presumably a possibility that he gets a waiver to compete immediately. 

According to Evan Daniels as of a couple of days ago, teams that had reached out to him did not include Iowa.IM

Major colleges expressing interest were:  Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Creighton, DePaul, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Seton Hall and USC.

Given his mental health issues, I wouldn't rule out a place like Creighton or Nebraska where the microscope and media isn't going to be as tough.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

It could be the Ohio State campus drove Carton to depression. If so that would eliminate many of the schools cited as colleges expressing interest as they similarly have ugly campuses.

Haha! Columbus is a cool town but the campus is really ugly. We are so spoiled by our beautiful limestone castles here. And the modern buildings aren’t all bad except for Ballantine which is an eyesore and should be torn down and the godawful Satanic stairs stricken from all records and memory. 

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

So it is very safe to say that the B1G will once again be stout next year

Yeah it looks that way. I do think there are a few teams that take a step back, but a majority of the teams return the core of their rosters. 

The BIG may not get top end talent, but the coaches in this league are doing a great job of getting old and staying old. 

Yeah it looks that way. I do think there are a few teams that take a step back, but a majority of the teams return the core of their rosters. 
The BIG may not get top end talent, but the coaches in this league are doing a great job of getting old and staying old. 

Maybe next season will be more exciting. There was parity but we only had 1 top team nationally in Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app