Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

2020-21 IUMBB Season Predictions and Discussion

I can't take it anymore. I have to have some sort of IU basketball discussion and one that doesn't involve the Coronavirus. Hopefully we can get this virus under control and there is no doubt about next season being played. Absent the unforeseen, I believe this will be the most talented and most complete team Archie has had yet. I don't believe they will be top 10, but most certainly top 25 with a chance to compete for a top 4 finish in the BIG. Let me know what you think/hope to see with IU next year!

Starting Lineup

Rob Phinisee (jr)

Al Durham (sr)

Justin Smith (sr)

Race Thompson (jr)

Trayce Jackson Davis (so)

Bench (rotation players)

Joey Brunk (sr)

Jerome Hunter (so)

Armaan Franklin (so)

Anthony Leal (fr)

Bench Reserves

Trey Galloway (fr)

Jordan Geronimo (fr)

Damezi Anderson (jr)

*I didn't include lander because he hasn't declared a reclassification to this point; just as I did include Anderson although it is expected he transfers. 

Estimated Record: 22-9 (13-7)

Tournament Ceiling: 4-5 seed with outside chance of elite 8 appearance. 

I think the top of the BIG will be very strong, but there will not be as much depth depending on foreseen departures. 

Interesting conversation. I personally would include Leal (fr) with the bench reserves as we don't know how any of those guys are going to come in and contribute. 1 Guard / 1 Big / 1 wing for bench rotation players with room for Lander and some freshman to get some experience, yes please!

I also can see Al and / or Smith transferring this offseason, though...

2 minutes ago, mjtavier said:

Interesting conversation. I personally would include Leal (fr) with the bench reserves as we don't know how any of those guys are going to come in and contribute. 1 Guard / 1 Big / 1 wing for bench rotation players with room for Lander and some freshman to get some experience, yes please!

I think Leal's ability to shoot will get him the chance to see more minutes than the other two. But yeah it is obviously wild conjecture as I have no idea how the freshman will do.

I have a hard time seeing either of those two leaving, Al more so than smith. I know smith graduates, but he averaged 30 minutes a game and got to play on the wing. Unless Archie forces him out I think he is back

I think Al stays. It looks like he enjoys it at IU. I can see Smith as a Graduate Transfer if he graduates. He won't leave as a regular transfer

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Next year is interesting. We could have two freshmen guards coming in that are better than the guards we have now. I don’t think the offense gets any better but the “team” should be better. The offense will continue to be stagnant, clunky and just embarrassing far too often. Might see some of those 10 minutes scoreless spells go down to 5-7 minutes though. Defense should be better as well.

The starting I WANT to see
PG- Lander or Phinisee if Lander doesn’t come next season.
SG- Leal
SF- Hunter
PF- Race
C- TJD
Bench- Smith, Brunk, Franklin, Durham, Geronimo, Galloway, Anderson.

The likely starters because it’s Archie.....
PG- Phinisee
SG- Lander or Al(depending on Lander)
SF- Smith
PF- TJD
C- Brunk

I don’t think Galloway sees a bunch of time next season. Simply because because we could have Lander, Al and Leal ahead of him at the 2 and Smith, Hunter and Geronimo ahead of him at the 3. And it seems Archie is going after another guard so he’d likely be behind that guy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Too many variables. If Seniors get another year some talented players could stick around.  To be thorns in our sides again. 

DeRon was on WDRB down here in Louisville  a couple days ago, and he said that he and Devonte had discussed the possibility of the extra year, but both were done and ready to move on.

14 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Next year is interesting. We could have two freshmen guards coming in that are better than the guards we have now. I don’t think the offense gets any better but the “team” should be better. The offense will continue to be stagnant, clunky and just embarrassing far too often. Might see some of those 10 minutes scoreless spells go down to 5-7 minutes though. Defense should be better as well.

The starting I WANT to see
PG- Lander or Phinisee if Lander doesn’t come next season.
SG- Leal
SF- Hunter
PF- Race
C- TJD
Bench- Smith, Brunk, Franklin, Durham, Geronimo, Galloway, Anderson.

The likely starters because it’s Archie.....
PG- Phinisee
SG- Lander or Al(depending on Lander)
SF- Smith
PF- TJD
C- Brunk

I don’t think Galloway sees a bunch of time next season. Simply because because we could have Lander, Al and Leal ahead of him at the 2 and Smith, Hunter and Geronimo ahead of him at the 3. And it seems Archie is going after another guard so he’d likely be behind that guy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

At this point I wouldn't put Geronimo ahead of Galloway. Athletically maybe but basketball wise Trey is miles ahead.

Archie needs to make major progress to keep his job in my opinion. He needs at least 25 wins and wins in the B10 Tourney and probably 2 or 3 in the NCAA. Anything less and the new AD needs to send him packing. I give him an overall C for his first three years. 

Archie needs to make major progress to keep his job in my opinion. He needs at least 25 wins and wins in the B10 Tourney and probably 2 or 3 in the NCAA. Anything less and the new AD needs to send him packing. I give him an overall C for his first three years. 

So basically Elite Eight or bust.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

So elite eight or he gets fired? That’s not happening.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think for this next season, the biggest barometer will be where this team finishes in conference. It should be another tough year with plenty of conference teams getting into the tournament. I don't expect IU to compete to win it per se, but I do expect them to compete in the top of the second tier of teams. That 4-6 range. Obviously unbalanced schedules play into it, but if IU is in that range this program will have made a significant step forward given how tough the conference is expected to be. 

It is difficult to gauge success based on tournament results. Now over time if you keep seeing early exits that is different. But for one year it is better to look at the entire body of work IMO.