Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Yea or Nay: give seniors another year of eligibility?

I know it has been floated around about giving NCAA spring sport senior athletes another year of eligibility, which I understand.  I’m hearing some talking heads talking about giving seniors in basketball another year.  

I’m on the side of “no” on this.  It sucks, but we 80% of the teams seasons were going to be done Sunday.  And while it sucks for a player to not get a chance to make a run or hoist the trophy, the run that is made year and title that would be won has nothing to do with this year.

No.  Sometimes life isn't fair, but while missing out on an opportunity to play in a tournament stinks, it's not a tragedy.  Many people have missed out on important events and opportunities because of unfortunate circumstances (more important/significant than missing a basketball tourney).

Imagine the chaos with scholarship and roster limits. 

What if they are granted another year of eligibility... but if the player wants to use it, they have to enter the transfer portal. Can’t play for your current team, but you can still play! Solves for roster management and a great way to test the idea of college level ‘free agency.’

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I feel that I have been blessed with all the Devonte Green I deserve.

Time to share him with the rest of the world.

Seriously though, how many scholarship players would teams be allowed to carry? 15? 17? There would be no way to make this fair and equitable.

Life sucks sometimes, move on.

Edited by iu eyedoc

My inclination would be no, though I wouldn’t be that bothered if it happened. But here’s my question: Would you allow ‘20 signees to unilaterally rescind their commitments if a significant factor in their decision was roster construction and available minutes that would then change if a Sr was allowed another year? Seems like the logical extension of that idea.

19 minutes ago, Demo said:

My inclination would be no, though I wouldn’t be that bothered if it happened. But here’s my question: Would you allow ‘20 signees to unilaterally rescind their commitments if a significant factor in their decision was roster construction and available minutes that would then change if a Sr was allowed another year? Seems like the logical extension of that idea.

Well if the new transfer rule went into effect they could choose to transfer 

30 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I already expressed my opinion against this idea in a different thread.  Life isn't always fair.  

Would be pretty nice to get Brenna Wise back for another year to add with our transfer becoming eligible for the women’s team though wouldn’t it? Although, UCONN has five seniors I wouldn’t want to have to potentially encounter in their fifth year combined with the four McD’s All-American freshman coming to Storrs in the Fall. That would be a gluttony of riches.