Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball @ Evansville - 3/10/20 @ 7:00

Live Stats

Radio

TV:  ESPN+

SETTING THE SCENE
• Indiana will head south to face in-state rival Evansville on Tuesday night at German American Bank Field at Braun Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. ET.
• The Hoosiers posted a 2-2 record last week, beating in-state rival Purdue, 17-2, in seven innings before dropping two of three games to San Diego on the weekend.

SERIES HISTORY
• Indiana and Evansville have played each other 38 times on the diamond, with the Hoosiers holding an advantage in the series, 22-16.
• IU has won six-straight games against the Purple Aces and the team is 10-3 in the series dating back to 2009.
• Last season, Indiana took all four games against UE, with three wins coming in Bloomington and one in Evansville. In those contests, IU out-scored the Purple Aces, 25-9.

STREAKING
• Dating back to last season, OF Elijah Dunham has reached base in 31-consecutive games, while INF/OF Drew Ashley has reached base in 23-straight. OF Grant Richardson's reached base streak sits at 16 games.

HOOSIERS POUND PURDUE
• Indiana opened the 2020 home slate with a 17-2 drubbing of in-state rival Purdue in a non-conference game on Mar. 4, 17-2.
• The 15-run win for Indiana over Purdue was the largest margin of victory for the Hoosiers in the series since Apr. 22, 1961, when Indiana took down the Boilermakers, 19-2, in Bloomington.
• The Hoosiers had a season-high 16 hits in the victory, with nine players totaling at least one hit and nine scoring at least one run.

BEST IN THE BIG TEN
• Since the start of the 2008 season, Indiana leads the Big Ten in total wins (429) and conference wins (178).
• The Hoosiers have made seven NCAA Regionals over that span, the most out of any current Big Ten team.

We've been playing catch-up all evening and trail 5-4 at the end of the 5th inning.  All 5 Evansville runs charged to John Modugno in the first 3 innings.  Nate Stahl relieved and still on the mound.  We've only managed to get 5 hits off Evansville pitching but we've been aided by 5 Evansville walks.  Barr with a triple and 2 RBIs.

Not sure if we overachieved early and water found its level or we are just in a slump but three games in a row our offense has pulled a disappearing act. This one is more humiliating as San Diego has three terrific pitchers. Evansville on the other hand has mediocre pitching at best (especially on weekdays) so to only put up four runs tells me the plate approaches stink right now. 

Plenty of time to correct this and no need to panic yet, but this loss will be a bad one on our resume that will stick out all year and hurt.    

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Not sure if we overachieved early and water found its level or we are just in a slump but three games in a row our offense has pulled a disappearing act. This one is more humiliating as San Diego has three terrific pitchers. Evansville on the other hand has mediocre pitching at best (especially on weekdays) so to only put up four runs tells me the plate approaches stink right now. 

Plenty of time to correct this and no need to panic yet, but this loss will be a bad one on our resume that will stick out all year and hurt.    

Yes and no. We had multiple, multiple line drives that literally just went directly to people. Add in a borderline crappy call at 2nd base that would have tied the game... and there ya go. Certainly we can drive the ball more, I thought last night a lot went right for Evansville. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes and no. We had multiple, multiple line drives that literally just went directly to people. Add in a borderline crappy call at 2nd base that would have tied the game... and there ya go. Certainly we can drive the ball more, I thought last night a lot went right for Evansville. 

Against Evansville should never let a late call affect the game. If you are playing as you should, Hoosiers should be far enough ahead that calls don't matter. I know when I listened to Mercer's press conference after the weekend he was frustrated with plate approaches so I have to assume that was an issue yesterday as well against terrible pitching.

This is a young team and right now they are showing it. No need to panic though and I think they get this fixed.  

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Against Evansville should never let a late call affect the game. If you are playing as you should, Hoosiers should be far enough ahead that calls don't matter. I know when I listened to Mercer's press conference after the weekend he was frustrated with plate approaches so I have to assume that was an issue yesterday as well against terrible pitching.

This is a young team and right now they are showing it. No need to panic though and I think they get this fixed.  

There was nothing wrong with nearly all of the plate approaches last night. We drew 6 walks and were hit by 4 pitches, but again.. 3 or 4 line drives just right at people, plus the call at 2nd base. It really just didn't seem like our night, Sunday we sucked. I was there. 

Dunham was a little impatient last night, but I think he was the only one.