Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

Wisconsin at IU Game Thread 03/07 12 PM ESPN

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Such an excellent take.

Verdell Jones, for instance, was/is a really good guy that had many many good and not as good moments as a dedicated, motivated Hoosier b-ball player.

Thank you.  I agree.  Verdell was a combo guard I believe thrust into the starting point guard role who may or may not have had a really nice road map at his disposal for success in becoming a true point guard.  He came to play for IU when the program was operating under unusual circumstances, and contributed to building the program into a contender.  I liked his demeanor as well.

38 minutes ago, coachv jr said:

i don't know why you sound so sure. with a loss to a terrible nebraska team we finish 3 games below 500 in league play and 11th out of 14 teams in the big ten. not buying it

The reason IU wasn’t in last season was because they were just 17–15. They can’t finish any worse than 19-13 this season. That record would have had them in last year as well

2 minutes ago, coachv jr said:

brunk and davis are not going to "out-tough" most of the bigs in the league. even if they are tough, as you say, they aren't good enough. if tjd doesn't come back with a right hand he will have inconsistent games. race needs an outside shot or his career will not flourish. he is getting the smith treatment with teams daring him to shoot. you just can't have a guy facilitating ball movement from the top of the key who is not a threat to shoot. race is not going to be successful on offense trying to only score inside in the big ten. too small. miller should have made sure smith had a pull-up, squared-up jumper from mid range. with a 46" vertical, who could defend that. big wasted season on offense. right now he looks like a guy who thinks he gets a point for hitting the rim - no real plan to score.

I am going strictly off of memory without going back to substantiate my remark, but off the top of my head I only remember our bigs getting dominated mostly across the board by one team, and I don't remember off the top of my head which team that was.  IU seemed to hang with most teams up front by my memory, even if some of those games up front were mud fights, and maybe we are talking about two different topics here.  You are not the only person to remark about our front court's lack of toughness.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Lol. Ok. We can hope for that, but no strong reason to believe this but hope and prayer. We are counting on Lander saving the day now?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

He’s a highly touted PG. That’s the most important position on the floor. No reason to think they couldn’t be good

Lol. Ok. We can hope for that, but no strong reason to believe this but hope and prayer. We are counting on Lander saving the day now?

Maybe. You can also say we lost our two best players from last year and still improved this year.

So next year we return 8 out of top 10 and add a top PG. I would say that is a VERY strong reason to believe.

But yeah to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He’s a highly touted PG. That’s the most important position on the floor. No reason to think they couldn’t be good

Could they be good? Sure they could.

Will they be good? We project to be a similar team.

TJD returns. He’s good he’ll be better.

Lander is young and small, and may really help or may face the physicality of the B1G and be in for a shock?

I look forward to seeing our other freshman but realistically can’t count on any of them being impact players from jump.

The returning players?

Al Durham- role player. Peaked
Race- not impressed outside of hustle.
Justin Smith- ha. Sure. Is he a basketball player? Will he even return
Brunk-peaked. Limited
Phinisee- he’s ok. Maybe he’ll be better. Maybe not.
Jerome- hope he gets better. Realizes he can do more than jack 3s.
Franklin- ????

It’s hope and prayer my friend.

The optimists will tell you how great we will be.

Bottom line, we won’t start the season top 25 and those guys get paid to evaluate rosters and talent.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Could they be good? Sure they could.

Will they be good? We project to be a similar team.

TJD returns. He’s good he’ll be better.

Lander is young and small, and may really help or may face the physicality of the B1G and be in for a shock?

I look forward to seeing our other freshman but realistically can’t count on any of them being impact players from jump.

The returning players?

Al Durham- role player. Peaked
Race- not impressed outside of hustle.
Justin Smith- ha. Sure. Is he a basketball player? Will he even return
Brunk-peaked. Limited
Phinisee- he’s ok. Maybe he’ll be better. Maybe not.
Jerome- hope he gets better. Realizes he can do more than jack 3s.
Franklin- ????

It’s hope and prayer my friend.

The optimists will tell you how great we will be.

Bottom line, we won’t start the season top 25 and those guys get paid to evaluate rosters and talent.

A great PG makes other players better. Time will tell

39 minutes ago, coachv jr said:

brunk and davis are not going to, and have not "out-toughed" most of the bigs in the league. even if they are tough, as you say, they aren't good enough. if tjd doesn't come back with a right hand he will have inconsistent games. race needs an outside shot or his career will not flourish. he is getting the smith treatment with teams daring him to shoot. you just can't have a guy facilitating ball movement from the top of the key who is not a threat to shoot. race is not going to be successful on offense trying to only score inside in the big ten. too small. miller should have made sure smith had a pull-up, squared-up jumper from mid range. with a 46" vertical, who could defend that. big wasted season on offense. right now he looks like a guy who thinks he gets a point for hitting the rim - no real plan to score.

I think we are not hearing each other very well because some of the quotes quoted say very different things from  what is being , for lack of a better word, now seemingly argued against.  I don't intend to get into an argument over a topic that honestly means almost nothing to me.  I suppose I could research statistics and patch together some game film that backs up my points, but nah.  Who cares if I think some of our guys might be tougher or stronger than you give them credit for?

11 minutes ago, coachv jr said:

so you are counting on a record breaking precedent to get us in. good luck. maybe the tournament will be canceled saving us the embarrassment of missing out yet again

All 10 of those teams deserve to be in the tournament

What section are you in[mention=1508]hoosieraloha[/mention]?

B, not far behind the Wiscy bench.

How many times did the ref towards half court have to make a call that the ref standing 2’ from the play miss? Wiscy used the “they cant call everything” strategy and it absolutely worked at the end of the game.

14 minutes ago, Drew L said:

Ummm Wisconsin is considerably more talented then we are.

They are a better team (better coaching leading to better chemistry and motivation), but they are not as talented as IU.  There is a difference between team and talent.