Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Men's Big Ten Tourney Thread: Predictions and Discussion

I’m less concerned about what seed we end up, and more looking at how we end up with the best opportunity to win a few games. 

If home teams win out except for Maryland winning @Rutgers, Penn St. winning @NW, and Rutgers winning at Mackey against PU, we would end up with the 10 seed. But I’d much rather have the path of against (7)OSU in the quarters and the winner of (3)Wiscy/(6)Iowa in the semis, then have to play Michigan in the 8/9 game and then (1)Maryland in the quarters and then (3)PSU/(4)MSU.

I’d take that 10-seed route over the 8/9-seed route all day. 

I’m less concerned about what seed we end up, and more looking at how we end up with the best opportunity to win a few games. 
If home teams win out except for Maryland winning @Rutgers, Penn St. winning @NW, and Rutgers winning at Mackey against PU, we would end up with the 10 seed. But I’d much rather have the path of against (7)OSU in the quarters and the winner of (3)Wiscy/(6)Iowa in the semis, then have to play Michigan in the 8/9 game and then (1)Maryland in the quarters and then (3)PSU/(4)MSU.
I’d take that 10-seed route over the 8/9-seed route all day. 

I definitely don’t disagree with you. My line of thought wants us to avoid playing the first day so we have zero chance of having a ‘bad loss’ going into selection Sunday (if it were to matter). Playing the Thursday would guarantee a good win/not a bad loss

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

IU desperately needs to not be in the bottom 4.. Selfishly, I’d like to see them on the 8/9 line and play MD in the Quarters since I’m driving to Indy from Baltimore with a couple annoying MD fans, for the tourney.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

IU desperately needs to not be in the bottom 4.. Selfishly, I’d like to see them on the 8/9 line and play MD in the Quarters since I’m driving to Indy from Baltimore with a couple annoying MD fans, for the tourney.

Being in the bottom 4 allows for a more guaranteed one victory though which could help tourney chances? I don’t know I’m fine with either as long as the Hoosiers get a good matchup in game 1.

I definitely don’t disagree with you. My line of thought wants us to avoid playing the first day so we have zero chance of having a ‘bad loss’ going into selection Sunday (if it were to matter). Playing the Thursday would guarantee a good win/not a bad loss

I know we are in the day and age of “bad losses” and “good losses” but I’ll like the day when all losses are “bad” again.

Being in the bottom 4 allows for a more guaranteed one victory though which could help tourney chances? I don’t know I’m fine with either as long as the Hoosiers get a good matchup in game 1.

Also gives them a chance for a bad loss, and for a team like IU who’s been horrible in the tournament, I wouldn’t want to take that chance.

Rutgers taking it to Maryland.  That will put Rutgers at 10 wins.

That brings the possibility of IU still being in the play in round ev or en if they win their last two games.  Not that big of a deal, because of they do win their last two, being in the tourney isn't even a question.

In order to avoid being in the play in round if IU wins their last two games, they would need Purdue to lose either at Iowa or at home to Rutgers or have Michigan lose their last two games....one of which is at home to Nebraska, the other at Maryland.

If IU wins only one of two games, the only way they avoid the play in is in a scenario where Purdue drops their last two games I believe.

Everything lining up poorly for the BTT...still in the first half in Iowa, but Iowa laying an egg and down 33-21 to Purdue.....starting to really look like even IF we were to win our last games, we'd be in the play in game.  If Purdue hangs on today and then beats Rutgers in West Lafayette and Michigan either beats Nebraska or at Maryland, then regardless of what we do in the last two games, we end up in the play in game.

Also think that in that case, winning both instead of one becomes more important because Rutgers just improved their case and Purdue puts themselves right back on the bubble with victories over Iowa and Rutgers.

Well If you were in the camp that wanted Indiana to avoid the first day of the BIG tourney last night was not a good night. Purdue is now 9-10 and Rutgers is 10-9. They play each other on Sunday and unless Rutgers wins they will both be ahead of IU. If Purdue wins then IU needs Michigan to lose tonight against Nebraska and against Maryland. The odds are not in Indiana's favor. PLUS IU still has to go out and win their last two or this is all moot. 

The most likely scenario now is that Indiana ends up in the 11-14 game playing Nebraska for a chance to play Iowa. Dare I say that is a good draw? 

GO HOOSIERS. 

Looking at bracket I am thrilled to be 11, assuming we beat Neb Wed.

I would much rather have draw of Iowa, Ill or PSU Thu as 11 then Ohio St Thu. and Maryland Friday as 10. Also outside of Illinois your fan advantage will be bigger, as besides Ill, PSU and Iowa will have less fans at Bankers Life then OSU or Maryland.

Outside of losing to Neb. I don't see how playing Wed. is a bad thing (especially since we will be tied for 8th but lose tiebreakers) as it gives us extra win for resume and much better draw Thu. and Fri.

27 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I would much rather have draw of Iowa, Ill or PSU Thu as 11 then Ohio St Thu. and Maryland Friday as 10. Also outside of Illinois your fan advantage will be bigger, as besides Ill, PSU and Iowa will have less fans at Bankers Life then OSU or Maryland.

Outside of losing to Neb. I don't see how playing Wed. is a bad thing (especially since we will be tied for 8th but lose tiebreakers) as it gives us extra win for resume and much better draw Thu. and Fri.

Completely agree. I could be wrong, but I think the best case scenario for IU is to finish 10-10 in the conference (that's really the huge key obviously) but be in that 11 seed game. While beating Neb/NW specifically doesn't exactly help IU, getting to 21 wins certainly would, and then as you said you're in the better side of the bracket. 

On 3/4/2020 at 12:05 PM, Aaron said:

Call it a loser’s mentality if it makes you feel better, but I’m with this too. Could care less about being the 11-seed or the 8-seed in our conference as long as we get to 10-10 in conference and then have a more favorable opportunity to add a couple W’s to the resume. IU being the 11-seed at .500 in conference would be more of a testament to the strength of the conference than a negative on IU. It’s just a seed. Really it would be that we ended up in a four-way tie for 8th, just like Michigan did, and they’re ranked in the top 25. So. My $0.02.