Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Men's Big Ten Tourney Thread: Predictions and Discussion

I thought I would get this started a little early and post the Tournament Predictor website to this thread. It is a tradition for me to mess around with it all the way up until the final weekend of the season. I posted it earlier but it was in the college basketball thread and is buried.

As of right now IU is fighting to stay out of the first four Wednesday group. If they end up 9-11 or worse they will end up playing on Wednesday because of their weak tiebreakers against rutgers, Purdue, and Michigan. There is a small chance at 9-11 that they could still miss the Wednesday games. If they end up 10-10 they most likely end up in the 8-9 game against michigan. There is a chance they take the 10 seed as well depending on what else happens around them. Here is the link:

http://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=mbb

Obviously the BIG tourney is a reoccurring nightmare for Indiana fans. But for some reason I still get excited about it every year, especially when it is in Indy like this year. Here is to hoping that this is Indiana's year to make a run and win a couple games. It has to happen sometime right? 

My Predicted winner:  Michigan State (ugh)

Just now, JerryYeagley23 said:

Latest bracketology has IU as a 4-seed hosting UT-Martinsville in Bloomington and then likely playing the 5-seed Princeton to give to the Sweet 16. 

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

I saw that. Its UT Martin in Martin Tenn. not Martinsville:) (I've been there). I still think we need to beat Maryland but maybe beating Rutgers is enough. That's a dream bracket and not getting to Sweet 16 would be massive disappointment if this draw actually occurred as no excuse not to beat Martin and Princeton.  

Just now, LamarCheeks said:

I think there might be some confusion as to the subject of this thread. I believe the author meant it to be about the B1G men's tournament, but others are opining about the B1G women. 

Maybe someone should start a B1G women's tourney thread to clear up any confusion? 

Yeah my fault about the confusion. I will change the title and if mods want to move the other posts a women's thread that would be great. The women's tourney deserves its own thread. 

I'm to the point where I just want to see us win a game. For some reason, we suck in the B1G tourney. When's the last time we won a game there! And it's usually in Indy or Chicago, where we have terrific fan bases. 

Last year's game still chaps my a$$ -- after a relatively mediocre regular season, with our Quad 1 wins, we had a still chance to play our way into the NCAAs with a B1G win or two. And we totally didn't show up against OSU. Well, not until the final five minutes or so. 

That game and this season's Toiletmakers game at home -- when RMK returned -- are the most disappointed I've been in this team during Archie's tenure. I don't even care about getting humiliated by Indiana State or Fort Wayne. The OSU tourney game and the PU game at home really, really meant something -- and we just didn't show up. Acted as if we didn't even care. 

23 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm to the point where I just want to see us win a game. For some reason, we suck in the B1G tourney. When's the last time we won a game there! And it's usually in Indy or Chicago, where we have terrific fan bases. 

Last year's game still chaps my a$$ -- after a relatively mediocre regular season, with our Quad 1 wins, we had a still chance to play our way into the NCAAs with a B1G win or two. And we totally didn't show up against OSU. Well, not until the final five minutes or so. 

That game and this season's Toiletmakers game at home -- when RMK returned -- are the most disappointed I've been in this team during Archie's tenure. I don't even care about getting humiliated by Indiana State or Fort Wayne. The OSU tourney game and the PU game at home really, really meant something -- and we just didn't show up. Acted as if we didn't even care. 

Yeah i just want to see a win as well. 

The last time Indiana won a game was in 2017, Crean's last year when we drilled Iowa in the first round and then lost to Wisconsin.

The last time Indiana made it to the weekend was in 2013, where Crean's team also lost to wisconsin.  

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I think there might be some confusion as to the subject of this thread. I believe the author meant it to be about the B1G men's tournament, but others are opining about the B1G women. 

Maybe someone should start a B1G women's tourney thread to clear up any confusion? 

Mine and Aaron’s posts were about the women’s team. Originally I believe Class of ‘66 Old Fart posted the bracket for the women’s B1G tourney, and my post was the updated bracketology that has IU women as a 4-seed hosting the first two games in Bloomington. Just an FYI. 

Yeah i just want to see a win as well. 
The last time Indiana won a game was in 2017, Crean's last year when we drilled Iowa in the first round and then lost to Wisconsin.
The last time Indiana made it to the weekend was in 2013, where Crean's team also lost to wisconsin.  

And we still only won 1 game. When was the last time we won two games? 2002? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And we still only won 1 game. When was the last time we won two games? 2002? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

nope. Only won 1 game that year and lost to Iowa in semis. 

Last time Indiana won more than 1 game was 2001 when they lost in the Championship. 

AND that is the only time Indiana has won more than 1 game. They have never won more than 2. 

lol so terrible I know

23 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

nope. Only won 1 game that year and lost to Iowa in semis. 

Last time Indiana won more than 1 game was 2001 when they lost in the Championship. 

AND that is the only time Indiana has won more than 1 game. They have never won more than 2. 

lol so terrible I know

Nope. 2003 we beat Penn State in the first round and Michigan in the quarters.  Mike Davis is the only IU coach who has ever been successful in Big Ten Tourney. 

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

Nope. 2003 we beat Penn State in the first round and Michigan in the quarters.  Mike Davis is the only IU coach who has ever been successful in Big Ten Tourney. 

ah missed that year when I went back through it. But yes, Davis is the only coach who has had anything go well in that tournament. 

3 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

I thought I would get this started a little early and post the Tournament Predictor website to this thread. It is a tradition for me to mess around with it all the way up until the final weekend of the season. I posted it earlier but it was in the college basketball thread and is buried.

As of right now IU is fighting to stay out of the first four Wednesday group. If they end up 9-11 or worse they will end up playing on Wednesday because of their weak tiebreakers against rutgers, Purdue, and Michigan. There is a small chance at 9-11 that they could still miss the Wednesday games. If they end up 10-10 they most likely end up in the 8-9 game against michigan. There is a chance they take the 10 seed as well depending on what else happens around them. Here is the link:

http://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=mbb

Obviously the BIG tourney is a reoccurring nightmare for Indiana fans. But for some reason I still get excited about it every year, especially when it is in Indy like this year. Here is to hoping that this is Indiana's year to make a run and win a couple games. It has to happen sometime right? 

My Predicted winner:  Michigan State (ugh)

This site is a great tool. Thanks for sharing!

IF we win our last two games we would be 10-10....but still not guaranteed to be out of the play-in round.

Most likely we would need one more team to win 9 or fewer games.  The most likely scenario would be either Purdue or Rutgers;  root for Purdue to lose at least one game OR Rutgers to lose both of their remaining games.  

Easiest scenario:  Rutgers loses to Maryland, thus insuring that the Rutgers/Purdue loser will not reach 10 wins.

7 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

IF we win our last two games we would be 10-10....but still not guaranteed to be out of the play-in round.

Most likely we would need one more team to win 9 or fewer games.  The most likely scenario would be either Purdue or Rutgers;  root for Purdue to lose at least one game OR Rutgers to lose both of their remaining games.  

Easiest scenario:  Rutgers loses to Maryland, thus insuring that the Rutgers/Purdue loser will not reach 10 wins.

Yeah this team is surrounded by teams in the standings that it lost to. Purdue, Rutgers, and Michigan. Did not do itself any favors there for tiebreaker purposes.

Would be crazy to be .500 in conference and playing on the first day of the BIG tournament. Last year the 8-9 matchup was between two teams who were 8-12. The 10th and 11th place teams were 7-13. 

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

That's kind of depressing.