Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Mo Creek - Back In The U.S.A.

On 2/28/2022 at 9:29 AM, Rico said:

Mo's situation is why I would think twice before playing overseas.

God Bless ya Mo.

It just depends where--"overseas" is waaaay too broad a category. When all safety concerns are taken into account, playing in Italy, Moldova, or Japan is quite a bit safer than playing in Birmingham, Al, Edinburgh, Tx, or Fort Wayne in the G League. And a player like Mo Creek gets paid a whole lot more to be there. Now Ukraine? Maybe it's been safe on a daily basis, but Crimea is pretty recently in the rear view mirror. When Putin is annexing regions of the country you're going to that's not good. Taiwan would seem like it'd be okay, right? But there's clearly potential for trouble on the horizon. Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are NATO allies -- that's pretty safe geo-politically and they have low daily crime rates. Therefore, a really good gig. Norway? Seems good to you? Not a NATO ally and borders Russia. Not as good as Estonia. I've been to Eastern Europe--Tallin and Bucharest are pretty freakin' beautiful. 

The ballplayers aren't always aware of the state of the world--it's one on the things their management firms should be very clear about when players weigh offers.

Edit -- The Belarus Prime Minister says Moldova in in Putin's sights. Basketball players ... avoid Moldova!

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

About 30 min. ago from Mo.

TOOK ME 12 HOURS BUT FINALLY OUT OF UKRAINE… NEXT STOP BACK TO ROMANIA

That's great news! I'm not a big Twitter guy but I had been following this story on there lately by checking his updates. I hadn't followed up on this, since around 5 am this morning.

We, including me, have spent the last 15 hrs. moaning, whining, complaining, agonizing, etc. over last night's implosion.  Mo Creek lived through this and it's far worse than losing a basketball game.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33408315/former-ncaa-basketball-star-maurice-creek-heads-home-getting-stuck-ukraine

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We, including me, have spent the last 15 hrs. moaning, whining, complaining, agonizing, etc. over last night's implosion.  Mo Creek lived through this and it's far worse than losing a basketball game.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33408315/former-ncaa-basketball-star-maurice-creek-heads-home-getting-stuck-ukraine

Best post on this board.

This article is a must read. Great reporting by ESPN.

If you read anything from the ESPN article, read this near the beginning:

"The car inches through the streets of Mykolaiv, a small city in Southern Ukraine that he has called home for the past two months. The American basketball player is terrified of being spotted by the Russian soldiers. Don't get caught. Don't get caught, he repeats to himself.

He practices the two phrases he had memorized in Ukrainian and Russian.

Don't shoot. I am American."

Chilling.

Just saw Mo's segment on CNN this morning.

Putin is so lucky Mo came home. With Mo launching nonstop from Ukraine to the Kremlin, it was only a matter of time before Putin's luck ran out. I fully expect Mo to continue launching from Btown. It's just probably going to take a little more time for him to land that shot in Putin's lap from that far away. It's gonna happen. We just don't know when he's going to land that big one from so far away.

Glad you're back, Mo. Keep launching, buddy. Glad you're safe. Loved the CNN segment.

On 2/28/2022 at 9:06 AM, Stuhoo said:

It just depends where--"overseas" is waaaay too broad a category. When all safety concerns are taken into account, playing in Italy, Moldova, or Japan is quite a bit safer than playing in Birmingham, Al, Edinburgh, Tx, or Fort Wayne in the G League. And a player like Mo Creek gets paid a whole lot more to be there. Now Ukraine? Maybe it's been safe on a daily basis, but Crimea is pretty recently in the rear view mirror. When Putin is annexing regions of the country you're going to that's not good. Taiwan would seem like it'd be okay, right? But there's clearly potential for trouble on the horizon. Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are NATO allies -- that's pretty safe geo-politically and they have low daily crime rates. Therefore, a really good gig. Norway? Seems good to you? Not a NATO ally and borders Russia. Not as good as Estonia. I've been to Eastern Europe--Tallin and Bucharest are pretty freakin' beautiful. 

The ballplayers aren't always aware of the state of the world--it's one on the things their management firms should be very clear about when players weigh offers.

Edit -- The Belarus Prime Minister says Moldova in in Putin's sights. Basketball players ... avoid Moldova!

Moldova is another former Soviet republic and borders Ukraine— not the best example lol :)