Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Guy

IU at Illinois Game Thread 03/01 2 PM BTN

NOTES: Indiana Set for Final Regular Season Road Game at Illinois

Story Links
INDIANA GAME NOTES (PDF)
WATCH ONLINE
LIVE STATS
LISTEN VIA TUNEIN
OPENING TIP
Indiana University is in its 120th season of competition in men's basketball and will complete a stretch of playing 4 of 5 on the road when it travels to Illinois on Sunday. The Hoosiers are tied for 4th in the country with 5 wins over nationally ranked teams (Florida State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, Penn State).

GAME INFORMATION
Sunday, March 1 • 2 p.m. ET
State Farm Center (15,500) • Champaign, Ill.
TV: BTN (Brandon Gaudin and Shon Morris) | Watch Online
Radio: IU Radio Network (Don Fischer, Errek Suhr, Joe Smith) | TuneIn
Series History: Indiana leads, 93-87
Last Meeting: IU 92, at ILL 74 - 3/7/19

THE COACHES
Indiana Coach Archie Miller is in his third season of guiding the Cream and Crimson. He is 192-104 in eight-plus years as a head coach, which includes six years at the University of Dayton. His Flyer teams made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last four seasons, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014. He is 53-41 at IU. Brad Underwood is 45-48 in 3 seasons at Illinois.

NEWS & NOTES
Freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis has been named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the fifth time this season and CBS Sports/USBWA National Freshman of the Week after averaging 20 points and 13 rebounds in wins over Minnesota and #9 Penn State. At Minnesota, he had a career-high 27-point, 16 rebound performance and made 11 of 15 field goal attempts. Against Penn State he had 13 points and 10 boards giving him nine double-doubles on the season (IU is 9-0 in those games). He is averaging a team-best 13.8 points and 8.0 rebounds. He is just one of four freshman nationally (Vernon Carey, Jr. - Duke, Zeke Nnaji - Arizona and Isiah Stewart - Washington) to lead his team in scoring, rebounds, field goal percentage, free throws made and free throws attempted and blocked shots. In the Big Ten, Jackson-Davis is the top freshman scorer overall and in conference games (12.9). He also leads in overall and conference play in field goal percentage (57.4 and 52.3), blocked shots (1.9 and 1.8), free throws made (108 and 60) and attempts (156 and 87). He is second overall and in league games in rebounding (8.0 and 7.5). He is 7th in the B1G in rebounding, 3rd in field goal percentage and 6th in blocked shots.

Redshirt sophomore and Minnesota native Race Thompson is averaging 7.7 points and 7.3 rebounds in the last 3 games. He is shooting 56.3% from the field in 22 minutes of action per game since the Minnesota contest. He had 6 points, 8 boards and 2 blocks at Purdue. Senior Devonte Green is averaging 10.6 ppg., and is 17 for 43 (39.5%) from 3-point range in the last 5 games. Junior Aljami Durham is 2nd on the team with 69 assists and is averaging 9.6 ppg. Sophomore Rob Phinisee, leads the team with 72 assists and had a career-high tying 5 steals against Penn State. Junior Justin Smith is averaging 10.6 points and leads the Hoosiers with 28 steals. He had 8 points and 4 boards against Purdue. Graduate transfer Joey Brunk had 4 points and 7 rebounds at Purdue.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Was supposed to watch this with an annoying Illinois fan thanks to wife but won’t even be watching. Got food poisoning last night and didn’t to sleep till after 6. Hope we win while I’m taking an afternoon nap. 

You have my sympathies and wishes for a speedy recovery. Wouldn't wish that on even a Purdue fan.

30 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Was supposed to watch this with an annoying Illinois fan thanks to wife but won’t even be watching. Got food poisoning last night and didn’t to sleep till after 6. Hope we win while I’m taking an afternoon nap. 

Well, if we win today, we expect you to eat at the same place the night before every game.   Take care of yourself and hopefully you'll awaken from your nap to learn we won.

Just a little PSA on foodborne illness (food poisoning): a foodborne illness generally takes 10-12 hours after exposure to show symptoms. I am sharing this because often times people blame the last thing they ate and most often it is not. Get to feeling better Brass. Oh and beat Illinois please Hoosiers

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Over/under on sideline meltdowns I’m putting at 1.5. It’s been the most interesting thing about IUBB of late. Glad to overanalyze every move and see some Archie rage and fire.

Speaking of rage and fire, Underwood will be on tilt if they don’t run us out of the gym.

I’ve got a 50 spot on Illinois -5.5. So us losing by 5 or less will be the only way I end the game upset.

Win or lose big Hoosiers!

Ye of little faith.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Box out Cockburn and shut down Ayo. Smith will clearly be guarding Ayo. Great audition for him to show he can guard some NBA talent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Who can guard Cockburn? I say let DeRon rack up 4 or so fouls trying. Brunk can’t guard or score against him. Let Race try, I guess. They have a real rim protector which likely spells doom for a team that shoots worse than my sons 7th grade team.

We need Devonte to go 7-10 from three today to win instead on 3-15.

OR, and big IF, TJD can get Cockburn in foul trouble things could open up significantly.

Oh, and this was the Illinois team, everyone thought the preseason rankings were so wrong about. Hoosiers should win.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Who can guard Cockburn? I say let DeRon rack up 4 or so fouls trying. Brunk can’t guard or score against him. Let Race try, I guess. They have a real rim protector which likely spells doom for a team that shoots worse than my sons 7th grade team.

We need Devonte to go 7-10 from three today to win instead on 3-15.

OR, and big IF, TJD can get Cockburn in foul trouble things could open up significantly.

Oh, and this was the Illinois team, everyone thought the preseason rankings were so wrong about. Hoosiers should win.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I’d feel way better if this game was played at the real Assembly Hall. I expect TJD and Brunk to be in foul trouble early.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

If we get delayed for a women’s game I’ll be upset at the absolute least.*

*Letter to the editor at worst

The BTN use to have alternate channels on DirectV and would show and they would show multiple games.  Somehow my tv bill hasn't gone down even though they got rid of them and cram games two hours apart now.

....and Rutgers runs no offense and chucks one up.  ******* OT.