Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

POTFB Game Thread: Indiana Hoosiers vs. Purdue Boilermakers (2/27 at 7PM on FS1)

Lol step away from the ledge Wayne.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Nothing I said was wrong. I believe every word I wrote. I have never watched a team that sucked at shooting this consistently. And when I say suck, I mean on a whole another level of sucking.

When does a tourney team play a road game against a like-talented team and you absolutely know they won’t win? When it happens, you know that tourney team isn’t good. And we aren’t.

We will lose at Illinois as well. Predicted this last week as did every other IU fan. And not only will we lose, it won’t even be that competitive.

I do think we win both home games but I could see that 1-1.

I keep hoping to see something different. It doesn’t happen. I can barely watch this team on offense.....

Moving on........

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I can live with a poor shooting night but I’m getting real tired of watching these kids get out worked and our coaching staff refusing to make adjustments. Not doubling Williams when everyone else not named Hunter (don’t even get me started on this) were throwing up bricks all night. Eastern’s man literally doesn’t even need to guard him yet we let TJD, Brunk and Davis get their sh*t kicked in by one guy with no help. Our kids got out worked, staff got out coached and this was the result. 

10 hours ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

An under .500 conference record and 2 road wins does not get this team in the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Conference record doesnt matter and if we get to 19 wins we are all but assured of a tourney birth.

10 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

I can live with a poor shooting night but I’m getting real tired of watching these kids get out worked and our coaching staff refusing to make adjustments. Not doubling Williams when everyone else not named Hunter (don’t even get me started on this) were throwing up bricks all night. Eastern’s man literally doesn’t even need to guard him yet we let TJD, Brunk and Davis get their sh*t kicked in by one guy with no help. Our kids got out worked, staff got out coached and this was the result. 

This is the frustrating part. That team is not as talented as we are, but they out work us.

Quite frankly, they just care. I'm not convinced there are more than a handful of guys on our roster that even care about wins and losses.

Don't know whether it was on Archie's radio show or his pre-Purdue presser, but after the past couple of games, he said the task of getting guys to play hard and with passion weren't problems anymore. 

Last night, it sure seemed as if they resurfaced. I got no problem with losing to Purdue -- OK, that's not true; I ABSOLUTELY HATE losing to the Toiletmakers -- but when we're the better team, it just makes it all the more difficult to stomach. 

We scored 49 points and shot 15 for 59. Sheesh! That's beyond embarrassing. When I saw TJD clank a couple very early bunnies, I suspected we'd be in for a long night -- even though we did get up 9-2. 

I know this may sound like some participation-trophy type of thinking but...what if many of our players don’t really enjoy playing basketball and they’re just doing it because they think they should or have to. One can try hard but also not want to try hard which can surreptitiously affect the nature of the effort and results from said effort. 

im reaching here...but when Archie says we had good effort etc...I just don’t believe that in any way that actually matters. I can do a workout and put in plenty of effort, but if I’m just doing it to get it over with, the workout isn’t as effective as when I’m focusing on each rep and when I’m enjoying the process. 

Just seems to me that we might have several players that are there but don’t want to be there. They are jumping high and running down the court and breaking a sweat and getting tired but....I could be totally wrong. 

I know this may sound like some participation-trophy type of thinking but...what if many of our players don’t really enjoy playing basketball and they’re just doing it because they think they should or have to. One can try hard but also not want to try hard which can surreptitiously affect the nature of the effort and results from said effort. 

im reaching here...but when Archie says we had good effort etc...I just don’t believe that in any way that actually matters. I can do a workout and put in plenty of effort, but if I’m just doing it to get it over with, the workout isn’t as effective as when I’m focusing on each rep and when I’m enjoying the process. 

Just seems to me that we might have several players that are there but don’t want to be there. They are jumping high and running down the court and breaking a sweat and getting tired but....I could be totally wrong. 
I think your points are accurate but I feel rather than the effort level it is the mental toughness that is lacking. They are not confident so even though they are trying the rush things and miss shots and turn the ball over. I also believe they don't care as much as needed about winning. Like the purdue players you could tell hated us and wanted to win. I didn't quite feel our guys wanted to destroy them like they did us. That is how you lose

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A few thoughts on this one... and how it relates to the whole.
- By no means am I trying to tell someone how they should feel after this loss. Losing to Purdue stinks and we've done a lot of that the last few years. As a fan, it's frustrating. No two ways around it. So if you're ticked off that we lost last night... I hear you. Those are valid feelings.
- I'm not sure you can win a Big Ten game shooting 25% from the field. Purdue can really clamp down on you defensively and take away your strengths. They did it to us. They double-teamed our bigs often. Our guys didn't respond well. But all the same, when someone is double-teamed, someone else is open. That's when our back-court HAS to step up. They didn't last night. They went 7-29. This has happened before this year and as we have seen, that's not gonna get it done.
- I've seen some say that they felt we were thoroughly out worked in this game. Not completely sure on that. We were beaten, no doubt. But look at rebounds...40-37, Purdue. They only had us by three. We had them 16-12 in offensive boards (an effort stat.) Turnovers? 11-13 in favor of Purdue. Not a HUGE difference there. Steals? 8-7, Purdue. Again, just one more than us. Blocks? 4-3 IU. We had them there. Free throw attempts 21-18 Hoosiers... even with the fouls at the end. Purdue only shot 37% (11% from 3.) Did we execute well? No. Did we at least compete? I think so. Not sure it was an effort deal last night. We just stunk offensively. When we played Purdue in Bloomington, THAT was an effort deal. Just my opinion.
- I've really tried to focus my feelings from a season-wide perspective as opposed to game to game. Because the fact is... we're not that good. We're not that bad, either. We're just limited. We're capable of beating good teams. We're capable of being blown out. When you look at the composition of the roster, you knew this would be a possibility. In the Season Predictions Thread I guessed 18-13 (9-11)... so we're actually a little ahead of where I thought we'd be. We're still in good shape to make the tournament... which for me, was the barometer THIS season. It would show progress. We're still on our way. Win 2/3 in these last three conference games and I feel we're a lock. Probably still in good position if we only win one more (and another win vs. NEB or NW and the tourney would put us at 20 wins... that would most likely get us in. If you look at our resume, it's relatively strong for a bubble team.) So as a whole, I'm content.
- Now if you're upset from a MACRO standpoint that our offense can still look like this in late FEB in Year 3... I get it. That we haven't beaten Purdue since 2016? I get it. That we question effort in Year 3? I get it. I don't necessarily disagree. But that's a different lens and I feel it's absolutely imperative to recognize that. THIS YEAR'S team was going to be prone to offensive struggles. When the "leadership" of THIS team has been criticized for poor effort in year's past, you knew it could still be an issue this season. In my opinion, I think you have to have two separate grades for how THIS team is performing vs. how the Archie tenure has gone as a whole. For what we have on the team THIS year, I think we're doing okay. If you're upset that this this is what we have in Year 3, I hear you. But that's a different issue.
Therefore, I believe it's possible to be upset with this loss (along with other losses) and still be optimistic/content about how THIS year has turned out. But again, I'm just a dude who types on a keyboard.

I tend to agree. I don’t like to lose but if you compete and keep it close by playing hard you give yourself a chance at the end. This was much better than losing by 20 plus.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Don't know whether it was on Archie's radio show or his pre-Purdue presser, but after the past couple of games, he said the task of getting guys to play hard and with passion weren't problems anymore. 

Last night, it sure seemed as if they resurfaced. I got no problem with losing to Purdue -- OK, that's not true; I ABSOLUTELY HATE losing to the Toiletmakers -- but when we're the better team, it just makes it all the more difficult to stomach. 

We scored 49 points and shot 15 for 59. Sheesh! That's beyond embarrassing. When I saw TJD clank a couple very early bunnies, I suspected we'd be in for a long night -- even though we did get up 9-2. 

I don't think the effort was the problem last night. We shot 26%. Say we shoot 30% we probably win the game. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't think the effort was the problem last night. We shot 26%. Say we shoot 30% we probably win the game. 

This. Nothing more nothing less than not hitting shots. 

Not that it makes it any better or worse, but that was it. 

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

This. Nothing more nothing less than not hitting shots. 

Not that it makes it any better or worse, but that was it. 

True which is why if we don’t hire somebody to fix our shooting. I’m going to be done with Archie. Shouldn’t have taken 3 year tbh 

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

True which is why if we don’t hire somebody to fix our shooting. I’m going to be done with Archie. Shouldn’t have taken 3 year tbh 

I hear this all the time but in all of my years around college and high school basketball, I've never heard of someone hiring a coach just to help with shooting. Shooting is on the player, get up shots on your off days. 1000 shots a day in the summer. College kids don't want someone working with their mechanics. Bob Knight tried to do it to one player, Delray Brooks and he transferred because he didn't want someone messing with his shot.  

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I thought I read somewhere that we hit a new all-time low for points per possession on Kenpom. Anyone know if that's true?