Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs Penn State - 2/23/20 @ Noon

15 hours ago, biteoftheapple said:

I am curious what Al should do in a 2 on 1 break. Stop? Since it is beyond the scope if his capability.

Pull it out and run clock. It was about a minute to go. Time winding down was more important than a basket there. But it all worked out

Just now, IUc2016 said:

So it was Archie's fault that Al durham didn't make the right decision and pull the ball out to run clock? Please. The team broke the press perfectly and Al screwed up. 

Archie entire offense is structured around pushing the ball regardless. 

I forgot we won so Archie is perfect again and the players are once again perfect for his system and being utilized 100% to their abilities.  I was confused because 2 weeks ago Archie supporters were claiming his issue was the players were not fit for his system. 

On a slightly related topic have you read 1984. Some good doublethink going on right now. 

I can imagine this conversation from late last week ... 

IU PR person: President McRobbie, we're hoping you will attend Sunday's basketball game. We plan to recognize the former Big Ten commissioner -- Jim Delaney -- and need you to participate. 
McRobbie: We  have a basketball game on Sunday? 
IU PR person: Yes. It's at noon. 
McRobbie: And where does this basketball game take place? 
IU PR person: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.
McRobbie: Is that here on campus?
IU PR person: Yes. It's that big building you first see when you arrive on the north end of campus. 
McRobbie: Ah, yes. I believe I've seen it a time or two. And who's this Delaney bloke? 
IU PR person: He was the commissioner of the Big Ten. He recently retired. 
McRobbie: And what is the Big Ten? 
IU PR person: It's the conference our athletic teams play in.
McRobbie: Our athletic teams play in a conference? 
IU PR person: Yes. We typically get a decent amount of revenue from its network. Mr. Delaney is credited with starting that network. You're familiar with that network and that money, right? 
McRobbie: Oh yes. Of course! 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Archie entire offense is structured around pushing the ball regardless. 

I forgot we won so Archie is perfect again and the players are once again perfect for his system and being utilized 100% to their abilities.  I was confused because 2 weeks ago Archie supporters were claiming his issue was the players were not fit for his system. 

On a slightly related topic have you read 1984. Some good doublethink going on right now. 

THE DUDE WAS PUT IN PERFECT POSITION TO SUCCEED. HE HAD A 2-1 BREAK. this is literally insane that someone is trying to argue Al wasn't put in a position to succeed when he had a 2-1 break. 

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

THE DUDE WAS PUT IN PERFECT POSITION TO SUCCEED. HE HAD A 2-1 BREAK. this is literally insane that someone is trying to argue Al wasn't put in a position to succeed when he had a 2-1 break. 

I’m not talking about one play. And no matter how many times you try to change what I said you aren’t going to change A) What I said or B) Reality. 

Al Durham is not a primary ball handler. He isn’t. Because of poor roster construction we need him to act like one for 8-10 minutes a game. It’s not his fault he isn’t up to that task. And he most certainly shouldn’t be asked to be our primary ball handler in the final 4 minutes of a close game.

I’m not talking about one play. And no matter how many times you try to change what I said you aren’t going to change A) What I said or B) Reality. 

Al Durham is not a primary ball handler. He isn’t. Because of poor roster construction we need him to act like one for 8-10 minutes a game. It’s not his fault he isn’t up to that task. And he most certainly shouldn’t be asked to be our primary ball handler in the final 4 minutes of a close game.

Whatever man. Al durham made terrible decisions yesterday whether he made them as the "primary ball handler" or a normal big ten guard. He just did. 

Just now, IUc2016 said:

Whatever man. Al durham made terrible decisions yesterday whether he made them as the "primary ball handler" or a normal big ten guard. He just did. 

Duh Because he shouldn’t be a decision maker. Like I have been saying.  

We shouldn’t be surprised when we ask a bad decision maker to make decisions and they are bad. 

How are you not getting this

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We shouldn’t be surprised when we ask a bad decision maker to make decisions and they are bad. 

Wait what? the players are not robots that you can program................................

Literally every one of them whether they play PG or Center are going to be making decisions. That is not something you can remove from the game, this is actually awesome. Have you ever played basketball?

I thought yesterday was a good representation of who we are. We are talented enough that if we play hard we have a chance to win every game in Assembly Hall. Also, we have to play guys like Al who can get some buckets here and there but can make some really bad decisions. His free throw % compared to others on this team get him time down the stretch despite his decision making.

Smith is another example. He is athletic enough that when he uses that he can make big plays like running down that late offensive rebound or picking off that in bound pass. He too though can provide plenty of head scratchers.

Then you have guys like TJD, Hunter and Race that are clearly getting better. This provides some hope for the future especially if we can get growth from Rob and Franklin.

Close games can reveal some roster flaws for sure and yet if that effort is high enough then the flaws can be offset by the benefits. At least at home.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So then, who are the five players you would have in the game in the last two minutes Coach Brass?

Archie went with Rob, Al, Trayce, Race, and Justin, and it worked out pretty well, even with a mistake or two.

Now, if this is purely a roster construction criticism, then I understand much more.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So then, who are the five players you would have in the game in the last two minutes Coach Brass?

Archie went with Rob, Al, Trayce, Race, and Justin, and it worked out pretty well, even with a mistake or two.

Now, if this is purely a roster construction criticism, then I understand much more.

this is where I am at. Need a backup PG, yes. But to act like Al can be in a situation where he never has to make a decision on the court, and if he does it is the coach's fault is not something i can fathom being possible. 

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

My problem wasn’t the last 2 minutes my problem was when the offense ground to a halt minutes 2-6 when Rob was out. 

I understand Rob needed a breather but after he left the game he had the under 4 timeout and a PSU timeout. And still sat. He should have come back in after the media timeout. 

10 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Wait what? the players are not robots that you can program................................

Literally every one of them whether they play PG or Center are going to be making decisions. That is not something you can remove from the game, this is actually awesome. Have you ever played basketball?

Yeah your right we should make a bad decision maker our primary ball handler and put as many decisions as possible in his hands. He should just choose to be better. It’s not Archie’s job to play them in situations where they will be successful. Just like Crean playing Morgan at PG. That was 100% Morgan’s fault for not being up to the task. 

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

this is where I am at. Need a backup PG, yes. But to act like Al can be in a situation where he never has to make a decision on the court, and if he does it is the coach's fault is not something i can fathom being possible. 

Not what I said but keep making stuff up so you can pretend to be right. 

My problem wasn’t the last 2 minutes my problem was when the offense ground to a halt minutes 2-6 when Rob was out. 

I understand Rob needed a breather but after he left the game he had the under 4 timeout and a PSU timeout. And still sat. He should have come back in after the media timeout. 

Yeah your right we should make a bad decision maker our primary ball handler and put as many decisions as possible in his hands. He should just choose to be better. It’s not Archie’s job to play them in situations where they will be successful. Just like Crean playing Morgan at PG. That was 100% Morgan’s fault for not being up to the task. 

So it's purely a roster construction issue? Sure, I see that.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

So it's purely a roster construction issue? Sure, I see that.

Exactly. We shouldn’t be asking Al to be a backup point at all. Much less in the final four minutes of a close game. It’s like asking me to move your piano. It’s a bad decision and your setting yourself and me for failure. 

Al is being asked to do things that we frankly shouldn’t ask him. And when he fails people hate on him relentlessly. Unlike Green he consistently tries to do what Archie is asking. But it’s not a perfect fit. 

Exactly. We shouldn’t be asking Al to be a backup point at all. Much less in the final four minutes of a close game. It’s like asking me to move your piano. It’s a bad decision and your setting yourself and me for failure. 

Al is being asked to do things that we frankly shouldn’t ask him. And when he fails people hate on him relentlessly. Unlike Green he consistently tries to do what Archie is asking. But it’s not a perfect fit. 

lol it's actually not even close to the same thing. Do you claim to be a person who moves pianos..? I would guess not.

Al is and claims to be a basketball player. So asking him to do things a basketball player is expected to do should be expected.