Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB vs Ohio State - 2/16/20 @ 2:00

9th largest crowd in program history saw our Hoosiers lose 80-76 to the Buckeyes.  We pushed the lead to 10 with 8:42 left in the 4th and then trailed 67-66 with 3:38 left.   Buckeyes hit 11 consecutive shots in the 4th Q and we couldn’t respond.  We haven't beaten Ohio State since January 2010.

Points:  Patberg 22; Gulbe 14; Penn 14; Berger 12; Holmes 7; Wise 4; Warthen 3

We shot 42% FG and 4-15 on 3s; 28-36 FT.

Rebounds:  Penn 8; Berger 7; Wise 5; Gulbe 5; Patberg 3

Tot. Rebounds:  IU 35              OSU 32

Assists:  Patberg 6 (We only had 9 total)

Turnovers:  12 (5 on Penn)

OSU shot 47% FG and hit 9-22 of their 3s; 17-22 FT. 

29 minutes ago, Hoosierfan31 said:

Anyone know why chanel didnt play a single minute? I guess we are back to the old ways of playing 6 players total

They don’t seem to have faith in her... She hasn’t been playing at all lately. When I think she could give a lot of help when she is getting some minutes. But the only really trust their starting guards and the my are logging a lot of minutes which isn’t good going down the stretch. 

1 hour ago, Basketballhead24 said:

They don’t seem to have faith in her... She hasn’t been playing at all lately. When I think she could give a lot of help when she is getting some minutes. But the only really trust their starting guards and the my are logging a lot of minutes which isn’t good going down the stretch. 

Moren and coaching staff have never seemed to have any faith in the bench, but I also dont know what she expects to see when they play increments of 30 seconds to 3 minutes. Hard to establish rhythm or confidence in such small bursts. Starters are getting worn down, injuries will happen eventually if she tries to play starters 30-40 mpg every single game. That's tough in any league, esp the B1G

This year is turning into a good year that could of been great. Ironically, our play away from home has been far better then our play at Assembly Hall. We are 10-3 away from home but just 10-4 in Assembly Hall. Also 3 of our 5 conference losses have come in Bloomington. Our play on the road is terrific and we have wins over South Carolina, Rutgers, Purdue, Nebraska, Butler all of who are having solid seasons. We have also beaten Miami and Florida who are no slouches. At home though we have meltdowns against OSU, and NW, a really poor performance against a great UCLA team, not to mention a near disaster against an awful Wisconsin team. Maybe it's a good thing we will be travelling for the NCAA Tournament as we seem to be getting our best wins and performances away from our home court.

In many ways this season is a lot better then any we have had in a long time as we are in the tournament no matter what we do down stretch instead of fighting tooth and nail to get in. However, we have missed opportunities to make this season as great as it could be. The problem is sustaining this level of play or better. It takes a long time to build a winning culture and right now we have to make sure this is more then just a brief upward turn that goes bad as happened early in the Coach Jack and Coach Bennett era (although admittedly we have reached greater heights in the current up tick then we did then), especially given we have no recruits moving forward so we need a big season to reel them in once this current group leaves. 

Players come and players go but a culture sustains. Only baseball has turned it around and sustained the winning culture through multiple coaching changes and recruiting cycles. Other sports have had upticks for a year or two then fallen back and women's basketball needs a big season pretty soon to really change the culture and sustain the winning so we don't fall back in a couple years like we have in past in this and other sports.