Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JerryYeagley23

Game Thread - Iowa vs. YOUR Indiana Hoosiers (2/13 @8pm ET on BTN)

6 minutes ago, CS2 said:

The crowd didn't seem bonkers Sat to me...at least with respect to the game itself.

I heard the place was amped then halftime happened and everyone was emotionally spent for the second half.  It didn't help IU didn't show up the second half either...

21 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Well, it’s Thirsty Thursday, so let’s hope. 

It’s been a while since I’ve been able to make it back to campus, but was just thinking: why has nobody ever torn down a few of the street-side Varsity Villa buildings or some trees along Fee Ln between the pool and North Jordan and put in any bars/restaurants? Is that because it’s on campus (just barely) and we are dry? I know a lot of college stadiums that are surrounded by shops and restaurants/bars, etc. Imagine how packed they would be on game days of you could go there before and walk to the game and walk to them after. Would get more students there for sure I’d think.

I remember I lived way over on E. 3rd st, and even as a die-hard IU hoops fan, there was more than one occasion where freezing weather or finding a ride made it hard to get motivated to make our way across campus to AH for a game. 

That area is all university owned

26 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

It’s been a while since I’ve been able to make it back to campus, but was just thinking: why has nobody ever torn down a few of the street-side Varsity Villa buildings or some trees along Fee Ln between the pool and North Jordan and put in any bars/restaurants? Is that because it’s on campus (just barely) and we are dry? I know a lot of college stadiums that are surrounded by shops and restaurants/bars, etc. Imagine how packed they would be on game days of you could go there before and walk to the game and walk to them after. Would get more students there for sure I’d think.

I remember I lived way over on E. 3rd st, and even as a die-hard IU hoops fan, there was more than one occasion where freezing weather or finding a ride made it hard to get motivated to make our way across campus to AH for a game. 

Great ideas ... would even pull in the old folk prior to the game!  The student section and all other sections tanked!  Now THAT would be electric!

28 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Outdoor intramural sports have to happen somewhere. In regards to the Purdon't atmosphere, a couple regulars here were at the game along with other IU non-media folk. After the 10 minute mark in the 1st half, the team gave nothing for the Assembly crowd to cheer for. 

This team looks like it is waiting for someone to take control and lead....and no one wants to. Until I see that leader emerge, I am not optimistic. I hope they surprise me tonight.

13 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

I didn’t see anywhere to put it, so started my first ever game thread. Merge if I just missed it somewhere.

Vegas has IU favored -1. 

Someone in the desert must know something not many of us have seen reason to believe. I had to dig deep down to find it, but I think we get after a poor Iowa defense and team that has been weak away from home and our boys get a desperate W, looking just competent enough to make us fans keep hoping. 

Iowa looked like they flat out quit at Purdue in the second half. Maybe if we get a lead......

13 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

In regards to the Purdon't atmosphere, a couple regulars here were at the game along with other IU non-media folk. After the 10 minute mark in the 1st half, the team gave nothing for the Assembly crowd to cheer for. 

^^This^^

The crowd was completely amped during the first quarter of the Purdoo game, but really deflated by halftime.

However, after seeing a fired up RMK, Zeke, Abernathy, Wittman, Buckner, Woody, etc during the extraordinary tribute, the crowd revived.

Then, the team came out for second half warm-ups, and the general feeling in the seats near me was that seeing the current guys in contrast was a huge letdown. When Eastern scored an unguarded layup on Purdoo's first possession of the second half? Uggh.

46 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I’m guessing the offense will be the same. So I’m assuming we will struggle to score 60. Garza will absolutely torch Brunk for 35.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If we put Brunk on Garza intentially, Arch needs to be fired during the press conference after (Dang, sorry.  Wrong thread.)  No chance Brunk guards Garza unless it's a busted switch or whatever.  Gotta be TJD, right?  No matter who gets him, it will be a tough cover.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

That area is all university owned

I assumed as much, but you’d think someone within the university would have some business savvy and build some commercial space and lease it out around the stadium. 

Just look at what the new MLS soccer stadium developments have done. They don’t just build a stadium, they build it as a part of a multi-functional campus of retail business and apartment complexes. (For anyone interested, google the proposed stadium development project David Beckham is putting in Miami as a part of their Soccer stadium for expansion team Inter Miami. Wowzers.) 

Unless your sports stadiums are naturally located in the middle of a metropolitan city, you have to create that atmosphere as a central hub of activity or else the game is just a singular part of the game day experience.

Need to get some forward-thinking innovators in the university positions that understand growth strategy and asset utilization. Might be able to fill our football stadium.

17 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

If we put Brunk on Garza intentially, Arch needs to be fired during the press conference after (Dang, sorry.  Wrong thread.)  No chance Brunk guards Garza unless it's a busted switch or whatever.  Gotta be TJD, right?  No matter who gets him, it will be a tough cover.

Garza is a candidate for the national player of the year; there is no 'good choice', only a 'less bad" choice. Gonna have to give up something:

• If we double the post (which we NEVER seem to do) then we have to deal with multiple good outside shooters.
  • If we leave TJD singled in the post with Garza? Ruh-oh.
  • Brunk is stronger than TJD and maybe more equipped to defend him in the post, and if Brunk gets in foul trouble it's not a major problem. However, Joey on Garza on the perimeter? Yikes. 

My favorite candidate to guard Garza? Someone who will not start; Race Thompson. I'd start Joey on him and bring in Race early.

By the way, the way to beat Iowa is to score the freakin ball; they aren't a good defensive team at all. 

23 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

Brunk can't cover Garza, but my fear is that BT officiating will allow Garza to plow into TJD and give Davis the foul.

Iowa money line is a win-win situation. Hoping to lose some money however.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That’s exactly how I’m playing this. I’ll happily lose money if it means an IU win...that’s just how desperate as a fan I am and I think most of us are.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app